Hello from the PNW

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
Just joined and getting a start in Large Scale.

Brief overview of my Train nerd hobby background: Modeled in HO scale from early days until High School, during which time built a lot of diorama's, buildings, kitbashed everything..etc. Had a side hustle while working in a local hobby store of selling custom built/weathered buildings (several of mine are still on club layouts around the area). During this time was an avid photographer and spent many, many days at the rail yards documenting everything that I saw (lots and lots of dirty SP SD9E's) and hanging out with the crew working on the SP 4449/SP&S 700..

After High School, got in to cars, street racing, radio DJ'ing, club DJ'ing, putting on underground raves, back to radio, broadcast engineering, getting married, back to college, IT, software development, a kid (or two), running, wheel to wheel auto racing, and collecting 80's BMW's.

All the while, I have kept my interest in railroading in the background. Mostly just picking up books that catch my eyes, and hanging out on forums I come across. The biggest time was spent on .carendt.com. All the while, dreaming up small layout/diorama idea's that someday I might find some time to fulfill.

Fast forward to this last year, and I find myself hitting the middle ages and while I still enjoy car racing, I hate having so many car projects that require all my time/finances (anyone interested in an Alpina B6 2.8/1 project?) So I am starting to unload.. Meanwhile, my other interest (Trains and Halloween prop building) are starting to take more of my spare interest. The wife, lately, has been all about freshening up the back yard/garden and suddenly and idea pops in my head!

So long story longer, I convince her that I can take the bane of our backyard (a 50ft retaining wall with an ugly cyclone fence on top) and plop a garden railway on top! Hooray for me?

This will allow me to get my train fix, be something the girls can enjoy and help with (none of them wanted to help as pit crew for the race team for some reason...), and make that ghastly retaining wall a focal point!

I'll attach photos of what I got to work with, but the basic concept is a single track with two tight (under 4'/1100mm dia) loops at each end. I've settled on mountain traction line in the vein of Bob Hegge's Crooked Mountain Lines, which I saw as a youngster in magazines and books, and it always stuck with me. This means a lot of what I will be doing is not off the shelf; but luckily, I own a 3D printer and know how to use it (not a threat).

Any whoot, hope to contribute more as time goes on, cheers!

Attachments

• Photo Jul 11, 12 01 15 PM (1).jpg
    Photo Jul 11, 12 01 15 PM (1).jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo Jul 11, 12 00 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 11, 12 00 31 PM.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo Jul 11, 12 01 45 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 11, 12 01 45 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi..welcome to the madhouse..

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you! Already starting on some small 3D printing projects and getting ready to clear the track way.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Djjerme, welcome to the forum. It is refreshing to see a proper (IMHO) introduction, and much appreciated. Lots of good advice, and bad jokes here, and we do like to see photos :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Djjerme.

It will be interesting to see how your railway progresses....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Djjerme. Meaning no offense, I can see why your idea of a railway above the retaining wall would be a vast improvement !

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
Yah, It's an apartment complex behind us. And while they are middle class apartment, the recycling bins are on the other side of that fence, so we get hear every time someone decides to go can collecting slamming the lids against the fence. I'm hoping to disguise it more with building up the background behind the tracks. Might see if I can build up some larger stones and then maybe some creeping moss or something to try and deaden the fences bounciness.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Djjerme. Looks like you've had more than a head start. Have you a proper name we can use?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum DJ, well remember Bob Hegge's Crooked Mountain Lines in mags of old, a great concept. Good luck doing the overhead, if you need hints let me know.

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
P Paul M - It's just Jeremy. The handle goes back to my DJ'ing days (it's my email address and so it's the default user name that gets auto filled)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Oh yeah, I can see it now! Welcome to the forum Jeremy

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome in large amounts!!! We live in Oregon for part of the year in normal times, travelling between PDX and Port Orford and Eugene in the middle. What do you fancy for the kind of railroad that interests you? Many of us here like a variety of scales and genre to ring the changes on a common gauge of track - 45mm. I'm sure you'll find many kindred spirits here to offer you help and advice, whether you need it or not ;)

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
My interest have wandered over the years.

Growing up here, the SP was always on my list. But beyond that, I always preferred to model short lines. Particularly shortlines that used oddball equipment for switching duty.

Still a huge fan of covered wagons though I did build a few AS-616's in the old Trona railway scheme (ex SP engines). I still have on the shelf above me an SD45T model that I modified with a high hood and to run long hood forward in Norfolk Southern scheme if that gives you an idea of my sense of humor.

In more recent years, I've really gotten into the micro layout world. Never had a chance to build one myself, but I always dreamed and would sketch ideas.

As well, always been a fan of highly detailed "scenes" in a layout, so guys like Dave Frary, Bob Hayden, and George Selios have greatly influenced my model building over the years.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 16, 10 07 54 AM.jpg
    Photo Jul 16, 10 07 54 AM.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo Jul 16, 10 08 22 AM.jpg
    Photo Jul 16, 10 08 22 AM.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Ra_fredrick

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
Hey fellow PNW garden railroader! It's cool to know that there's some of us up here!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
My interest have wandered over the years.

Growing up here, the SP was always on my list. But beyond that, I always preferred to model short lines. Particularly shortlines that used oddball equipment for switching duty.

Still a huge fan of covered wagons though I did build a few AS-616's in the old Trona railway scheme (ex SP engines). I still have on the shelf above me an SD45T model that I modified with a high hood and to run long hood forward in Norfolk Southern scheme if that gives you an idea of my sense of humor.

In more recent years, I've really gotten into the micro layout world. Never had a chance to build one myself, but I always dreamed and would sketch ideas.

As well, always been a fan of highly detailed "scenes" in a layout, so guys like Dave Frary, Bob Hayden, and George Selios have greatly influenced my model building over the years.
Welcome on board. If you are into micro layouts you will know about the late Carl Arendt's web site:
Lots of idea there.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hey fellow PNW garden railroader! It's cool to know that there's some of us up here!

Hey, from a part-time Oregonian!!!!!! We try and get over for a month or so most years, and not having done so for the last two years we're missing it like mad! We spend most of our time around the area south of Eugene - in the hills - and around Port Orford - with friends we've had for many years. Also PDX, but our friends there have recently relocated to Tigard.

Do you know Rich Miller? another large-scale trainist, him.

Ra_fredrick

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
Oh nice! I'm south of Portland myself.
I actually just moved to Oregon a few months ago. I'm not familiar with Rich, but I just joined the northwest g scale club and I believe he is a member

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
I am not either. Though I admit, I haven't really been seeking out others locally since I just don't have the spare time to be as socially active as used to be when I was a member of other clubs. Maybe this fall or winter when things slow down again (i.e. Kids going back to school..) I can reach out to some of the clubs.