Hello from the Northeast U.S.!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice model of a Snowdon Mountain Railway loco (Culdee)- don't see many of them :clap::clap:

Reactions: 1 user

Arlo's Trains

Registered
26 Oct 2021
Vermont, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nice model of a Snowdon Mountain Railway loco (Culdee)- don't see many of them :clap::clap:
Thanks! Yeah it's certainly a unusual thing to model, But hey I like to model the unusual haha

I've been to the Snowdon to, back in May 2019. Lovely place although due to some rather windy weather our train did not get to go all the way to the top.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've been to the Snowdon to, back in May 2019. Lovely place although due to some rather windy weather our train did not get to go all the way to the top.
I've a few times with the intention of going up on the railway, every time it wouldn't have been worth it due to the weather cutting the journey short. Also the cost and the fact there was a 4 hour wait!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've a few times with the intention of going up on the railway, every time it wouldn't have been worth it due to the weather cutting the journey short. Also the cost and the fact there was a 4 hour wait!
Best thing to do with Snowdon is to arrive midweek for the first train. No lines but sometime not any guarantee of steam either. But there never appears to be that, you pays your money and hopes for the best. Not done it and doubt I ever will now, certainly would not do it unless it was steam.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! Yeah it's certainly a unusual thing to model, But hey I like to model the unusual haha

I went to Snowdon in 1989. Rode a mountain bike to the top. Lovely seeing the train.
Geoff

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

I have travelled down the railway, having walked up Snowdon via the Pyg Track with my parents as a teenager probably around 1968. There was a bit of cloud at the top - you couldn't see far, and although I was familiar with the path, much of the top section is on scree and you are reliant on the stone cairns for direction. Once in the low cloud / mist, these were not easy to see in the distance, but as soon as we heard the sound of the train, we were able to pick the last short route to the summit >:)

It has the dubious reputation of possibly the only railway (certainly in Britain) to open and close on the same day, when a loco derailed and went over the edge - fortunately without loss of life. It was subsequently re-opened with a flanged guard either side of the double cog racks that the locos locked over - probably a precursor to modern funfair rides :devil: :devil:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have travelled down the railway, having walked up Snowdon via the Pyg Track with my parents as a teenager probably around 1968. There was a bit of cloud at the top - you couldn't see far, and although I was familiar with the path, much of the top section is on scree and you are reliant on the stone cairns for direction. Once in the low cloud / mist, these were not easy to see in the distance, but as soon as we heard the sound of the train, we were able to pick the last short route to the summit >:)

It has the dubious reputation of possibly the only railway (certainly in Britain) to open and close on the same day, when a loco derailed and went over the edge - fortunately without loss of life. It was subsequently re-opened with a flanged guard either side of the double cog racks that the locos locked over - probably a precursor to modern funfair rides :devil: :devil:
I bet the path has changed now, if the Press are right, it doesn't seem a nice place to be any more, just crowds of people pushing and shoving their way up

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I bet the path has changed now, if the Press are right, it doesn't seem a nice place to be any more, just crowds of people pushing and shoving their way up
Perhaps some could be "persuaded" to fall off and feed the crows. :fubar:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps some could be "persuaded" to fall off and feed the crows. :fubar:
The Watkins Path was more popular as it's a much more gentle gradient, you can't call it a climb, but it's a fair bit longer, and that was one of the approaches that was pretty busy in the better weather these last couple of years.

Crib Goch is for the serious climbers, although there was a fatality in August, and it does have a fairly long list of fatal accidents.

When I used to go to boys' camp in Criccieth for a couple of weeks in the summer, we would ascend via the Pyg Track and descend using the Watkins Path.

Wherever possible, the leaders sought to end the climbs in the village of Croesor where there was a reputable tea shop, which was actually no more than somebody's private home, but which provided endless supplies of tea and cake >:)>:)>:)>:)>:) this would have been between 1960 and 1970 :cool::cool: