Hello from Staffs

nsrjohn

Registered
27 Jul 2017
Staffs
Best answers
Hello Everybody.

I'm John, I live in Staffs (England) and just joined the Forum.

I started off with an LGB starter set right back in 1970 - my grandmother asked my father to buy something for me before she passed away, and the result was the starter set with the loco, two coaches and a circle of track. I still have the loco and it works fine although the whistle has broken off the roof and been lost.

It has been added to on and off since then, although it had been boxed away for a few years until last month. A chance visit to the Amerton Railway (recommended) set me thinking and the long and the short is, I set up a loop of track on the lawn during the hot weather a few weeks ago and gave everything a run after repairing two of the points. And enjoyed it very much.

I'm looking to do something a bit more with it all, I'm not quite sure what yet. In the meantime, I may make do with setting it up on our lawn again next time we have a few days of dry weather! Fingers crossed....

John

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
All hail John, I too am in North Staffs. Amerton is just a bigger train set, it even goes round and round! :giggle::giggle:

Keep looking round on here you'll find lots of ideas and things to like.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, John - there will be plenty of help, advice and encouragment on here (plus the odd bit of dodgy humour as we all wander off topics....) - the fact that your "vintage" starter set is still running well is a testament to the longevity and quality of LGB stock, there are many early Stainzes out there still running as well as when they left the factory..... oh, and I'm sure someone on here will have a spare whistle if you need one!

Jon.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
im a stafford lad too,,, although exiled in scotchland,,,, hic!!!,,,

welcomamundo to the fourum,,,,

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum John..

I am in the 'dangly-bit' of Staffordshire, Tamworth..
You might want to pay a visit to Chasewater.. Come and see us upstairs at The Heaths station..

DSC01233.JPG

Oh, nothing wrong with some track on the grass!

DSC00664.JPG

DSC00688.JPG

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum John....

nsrjohn

Registered
27 Jul 2017
Staffs
Best answers
Thanks all for the comments above and for the welcome.

I'm just waiting for the rain to stop and for things to dry up, so hopefully I can set the track out on the lawn again.

Fingers crossed, the next few days look a bit more promising.

I've never been to the Chasewater Railway when it has been open, although I've been past a few times when it is shut. I should make the effort sometime as it's not all that far from me.

Cheers, John

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The G-scale layout at Chasewater is open Sundays..
We try to do Gala days and Bank Holidays, but depends on work commitments..

nsrjohn

Registered
27 Jul 2017
Staffs
Best answers
Thank you - I'll try and get along sometime to have a look.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome John! Have fun with the forum
Paul