Hello from San Diego and BlueRail Trains

Steve Seidensticker

Registered
14 Oct 2020
San Diego, California
Best answers
Country flag
I am on the development team of BlueRailTrains.com and to help our customers who are installing the BlueRailDCC receiver we are looking for information on decoders installed on LGB locos, mostly what decoder is installed on what LGB product. I have been told that this group is an excellent source for LGB information. I intend to scan the forums what info has already been posted and will ask specific questions.

I am a G-scaler myself and have a large outdoor layout in San Diego, the Gopher Canyon Line. It is a 70s era (diesels and cabooses) free lanced U.S. short line. It has been featured on the covers of the Dec 1997 and the Spring 2019 issues of Garden Railways magazine. We conduct an operating session the third Saturday and the following Sunday of every month. If you are in San Diego then you are most welcome to join in or just observe.

Steve Seidensticker

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve,
Welcome on board. We always like pictures of layouts and trains.
Your question is quite a broad one and to some extent will vary geographically.
LGB locos sometimes have decoders in them as factory shipped, and broadly speaking these are one motor or two motor variants, built by Massoth for LGB (they have Massoth DCC id #123). Going back in history the very early ones were Lenz produced but I would think there are only a small number of those still running, Retrofit LGB part numbers include 55021, 55022, 55027. Since the Maerklin buy-out most DCC fitted locos have Trix/Maerklin decoders, with an LGB part number like 55028, 55029. If people fit decoders themselves into DC or DCC ready locos I would guess the main choice in Europe would be Massoth L (one motor) or XL (two motors) or sound equivalents LS and XLS, but ESU are also popular, and Zimo.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard !

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Steve..

I think Dave has pretty-well summed things up over here..

PhilP.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Steve....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Steve

Steve Seidensticker

Registered
14 Oct 2020
San Diego, California
Best answers
Country flag
Dave, your info was a godsend! I felt like I fell into a gold mine when I read it. The key was the LGB part numbers. With those I downloaded the manuals. The big problem we face is that a customer buys one of our BlueRailDCC boards, installs it in his LGB loco, and finds out the functions do not match. All he knows is that when he pushes the bell button in our app the whistle blows. Or maybe he hits the whistle button and the sound goes off. Now, if we can determine what decoder he has we can tell him whether the functions can be remapped in the decoder and, if so, how to do it.

Thanks so much for the info. It is extremely helpful. The knowledge of what decoder LGB installed in what loco would be even more helpful. I suspect that someone somewhere has compiled such a list. I will keep looking.

Steve

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
There is a database of most LGB locos on gbdb.info. You can search for loco number and it gives you picture, English description which includes DCC info, and link to the manuals for that loco.

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Just wondering when we will be able to buy BlueRail DCC 5A boards here in the UK.

Steve Seidensticker

Registered
14 Oct 2020
San Diego, California
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Dave. I was not aware of that database. Lots of good info in it. But alas, none of the LGB entries that I looked at for the F7 diesel identified the decoder. Sometimes it said MTS but most of the time it just said "digital decoder." The operator manuals associated with the locos provide some info about the decoder, but do not provide the LGB part number of it. Most of the entries have a catalog number for the loco that I assume is unique. I wonder if there is some cross reference between the catalog number and the decoder ID.

Many thanks for the help you have provided.

Steve

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
BlueRail Trains does not have a dealer in the UK but does ship directly to the UK. You can order from the BlueRailTrains web site...Steve
Do you manage the export/import costs, or will we pay it here on import, this often accrues extra admin costs.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
First LGB decoder was the 55020 by Lenz, then 55020 was made by Massoth. LENZ did etch their name on the 55020.
No bemf on these decoders.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
While on this subject, I have been trying to document the various LGB decoders themselves, since questions like this come up all the time.

I noticed some numbering schemes on LGB boards (not just decoders).

I find what I think is a part number: 8.837010.1
then an ME number: ME101045
and apparently the model number is 20252

does this make any sense? Just trying to understand the "system".

Greg

lgb1.JPG

lgb2.JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 20252 is the LGB model (or 'family') of loco..

The 'ME' number will (most likely) be a Massoth Electronics internal reference number? - Possible their part number??

The dotted number on the board etch, I think will be a drawing / revision number for the gerber (files for the layout) of the board. - There may-well be a date in there, as well?
But that number is pure guess-work..

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, well, I am pretty sure about the "dotted number" as an LGB part number, and the .1 at the end is a specific loco sound, I found .22 at the end was a krokodile, etc. These numbers I could search.

That number is easiest to find... but it seems that the "dotted number" is hard to link to what you would "order" as a part.

The ME number seems to be common...

I also have a "main board" from an LGB loco, with the 4 position switch, the DCC pins, etc. the number is 8.837080.1 and another number of 101053...

Anyway, just trying to learn a bit... also:

Steve Sidensticker: is that board pictured the one you were looking for?

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Steve, all sorts of experts on here.

Steve Seidensticker

Registered
14 Oct 2020
San Diego, California
Best answers
Country flag
Steve Sidensticker: is that board pictured the one you were looking for?

Greg
HI Greg, the mystery board that I was looking for had an MLGB number. We never we able to identify the specific part, but determined it was an MTS motion decoder from the first run of Marklin built LGB F7 diesels.

Steve

HowardSue

Registered
7 Nov 2020
La Pine Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
I am on the development team of BlueRailTrains.com and to help our customers who are installing the BlueRailDCC receiver we are looking for information on decoders installed on LGB locos, mostly what decoder is installed on what LGB product. I have been told that this group is an excellent source for LGB information. I intend to scan the forums what info has already been posted and will ask specific questions.

I am a G-scaler myself and have a large outdoor layout in San Diego, the Gopher Canyon Line. It is a 70s era (diesels and cabooses) free lanced U.S. short line. It has been featured on the covers of the Dec 1997 and the Spring 2019 issues of Garden Railways magazine. We conduct an operating session the third Saturday and the following Sunday of every month. If you are in San Diego then you are most welcome to join in or just observe.

Steve Seidensticker
Hello Steve. Long time no see. Hi to all Howard and Susie