Hello from London

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just wanted introduce myself and say thank you to all the contributors to this forum - I've found it hugely useful in my adventure with G scale so far!

I'm in London, UK and been having fun getting into G scale for the past few months. The crew consists of me, my three year old daughter and our audience, my six month old son and occasionally my wife.

The fleet is currently an LGB Stainz from a starter set (aka Percy) and a Piko BR 194 crocodile (crew favourite for looking like an animal), both converted to DCC and sound using parts from mXion in Germany. There's also a Fortuna Flyer and a Spreewald awaiting DCC conversion. Plus a motley assortment of carriages, trucks, tankers and cabooses. Power and control is from an Arduino running DCC-EX and a laptop power supply.

I've been loving the robustness and playability of the trains with kids, plus being able to use it outdoors as we don't have enough space inside for a layout.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi!
Welcome to the Forum!
Beware the puns and humour, but otherwise you should be fine..

There is nothing wrong with temporary layouts outside :
IMG_20220702_154854.jpgThis is the sort of thing we throw together for a (what was) local village show..

PhilP.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, if you have been sitting in the sideline, you probably do not need to be warned about the humour, as you will have seen it for your self, also don't forget to post photos of your work, we all love to see photos :)

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard !

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Just wanted introduce myself and say thank you to all the contributors to this forum - I've found it hugely useful in my adventure with G scale so far!

I'm in London, UK and been having fun getting into G scale for the past few months. The crew consists of me, my three year old daughter and our audience, my six month old son and occasionally my wife.

The fleet is currently an LGB Stainz from a starter set (aka Percy) and a Piko BR 194 crocodile (crew favourite for looking like an animal), both converted to DCC and sound using parts from mXion in Germany. There's also a Fortuna Flyer and a Spreewald awaiting DCC conversion. Plus a motley assortment of carriages, trucks, tankers and cabooses. Power and control is from an Arduino running DCC-EX and a laptop power supply.

I've been loving the robustness and playability of the trains with kids, plus being able to use it outdoors as we don't have enough space inside for a layout.
Welcome on board. I love the PIKO BR 194 as well but it wouldn't be top of my list as a children's plaything. It's a bit if a monster and those pantographs! Their BR 80 is fairly indestructible though.

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome on board. I love the PIKO BR 194 as well but it wouldn't be top of my list as a children's plaything. It's a bit if a monster and those pantographs! Their BR 80 is fairly indestructible though.

Thanks! Our crocodile is secondhand and "pre-loved" like the rest of the fleet - some broken handrails and insulators already. Makes me more relaxed about further damage.

I reckon the Bachmann Thomas large scale engines look very child-friendly but they are quite pricey for what they are. I'm on the lookout for an Emily in particular.

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi!
Welcome to the Forum!
Beware the puns and humour, but otherwise you should be fine..

There is nothing wrong with temporary layouts outside :
View attachment 313543This is the sort of thing we throw together for a (what was) local village show..

PhilP.
Thank you! That photo looks very like our setup. I will be sure to post some photos.

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, if you have been sitting in the sideline, you probably do not need to be warned about the humour, as you will have seen it for your self, also don't forget to post photos of your work, we all love to see photos :)
Thank you - I will definitely take some photos. It also occurs to me I should probably also take some photos of doing the DCC conversions of the Flyer and Spreewald as I haven't had much luck finding existing guides online.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, and nice to see family involvement too!

I got into G through my son around 25 years ago. He's long gone now, mortgaged, married but not yet mated!

But I'm still G scaling....

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, and nice to see family involvement too!

I got into G through my son around 25 years ago. He's long gone now, mortgaged, married but not yet mated!

But I'm still G scaling....
Thank you! We try to start the train indoctrination at a young age.

I remember my Dad taking me to Didcot Railway Centre as a small kid to see Burton Agnes Hall, the loco which had hauled actual trains he travelled on in the late 50s. I was fascinated and I've been hooked ever since.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, what part of London are you from? And have you an easier name to use?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, be nice to see some pictures of your efforts.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Cool and I like your track.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For DCC in the flyer, be sure to program the acceleration and deacceleration to low numbers as this unit will coast a long wayt due to the ball bearing wheel set and the motor only drives the fan/propeller. You may need a fast direction change!!

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
For DCC in the flyer, be sure to program the acceleration and deacceleration to low numbers as this unit will coast a long wayt due to the ball bearing wheel set and the motor only drives the fan/propeller. You may need a fast direction change!!
Many thanks, that's a really useful tip.