rentren

LGB - Viafier Retica Wälderbähnle Rheinbähnle
22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, PhilP, but also TNX Paul M for your wondering was mine until PhilP cut.

Right then, the MRC gets light duty (the Stainz with a shorty train or Fiery Elias, the steam tramway with two light coaches and the 0-6-2 needs something like the MRC9900 (5.5Amps I learned from MRC) or MRC9950 7.5Amps). Of course, I'm open to other suggestions DIY inclusive (but it's decades ago that I cobbled a we controller together for Z scale equipment with circuitry to up the flow where contact got poor, nothing fancy).

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, and this wrt to top speed ...Zillertalbahn back in the days of steam with the U43 types about 35 km/h, somewhat faster with a former Bosnian narrow gauge 2-8-0, and Retian Railway steam 45 km/h, electric 55 km/h and post-WW II things picked up. I believe allowed V max is 90 km/h which is possible on some stretches from Chur to Thusis and somewhat less (?) to Ilanz (Surselva) or Schiers (Prättigau). Scale it all (at 22.5) and top speed is less than 2ft per second. Perfect to watch the rods 'knit' away ;-)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A belated welcome to GSC Renard....

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
TNX, Gizzy. I'll need advice in many an aspect. Just became fully clear to me that my power packs won't do (MRC 1300, 1370) and wondering what people think about their big ThrottlePack 9950. Fine for DC (switch for big scales/smaller scales) and 'future proof' as it works for DCC as well. I don't think I will delve into that Real Soon Now but battery power and radio control might become the way to go once I extend the layout from beneath the cover of the deck.
IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Meanwhile I acquired a Tech3 PowerCommand output 20VDC (variable, momentum & brake), 19VAC fixed, 20VDC fixed. And the firstr snow is here. I move the layout from under deck onto the floor in a downstairs area to keep on trying and testing (common rail and more). Things remain analog. Eventually when enlarging layout outdoors I might consider a locomotive with onboard power and radio control.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
TNX, Gizzy. I'll need advice in many an aspect. Just became fully clear to me that my power packs won't do (MRC 1300, 1370) and wondering what people think about their big ThrottlePack 9950. Fine for DC (switch for big scales/smaller scales) and 'future proof' as it works for DCC as well. I don't think I will delve into that Real Soon Now but battery power and radio control might become the way to go once I extend the layout from beneath the cover of the deck.
View attachment 272984

View attachment 272985
The valve gear on your U is back to front. the link on the bottom of the crosshead ought to be facing forward. Hope you don't mind me saying.

1603925420743.png

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, interesting! I bought it used. Will have to scrutinize LGB catalogs to see whether that is a fault right off the 'assembly line' or whether whosoever hat 'my U' before had it apart and misassembled it. -- And, yess! It must've been taken apart and wrongly assembled. On both sides to be sure.
Now what? Me tinkering? - Don't dare, ...'xcept I just did. The 'piston' on the LGB model is black plastic. It proved easy to manipulate things in such a way, that the link articulates now properly. - You have a very good eye! And I guess, you are familiar with the look of valve gears and what's possible and what is not. Thanks for pointing this out to me.
'My U' lying on top of an LGB catalog page.
IMG_4075.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It may not necessarily have been you deliberately, not unknown for LGB gear to get out of kilter when moving Loki’s around. Happens with other makes as well. Oh and you decision to go Battery May be the best move you make, no more track cleaning just the chore of charging batteries to keep up with. But if you make a revord card of each loco converted with details of the gear installed and dats. You then just need to record charging dats and hours run when you do. I tend to turn all that is out on the day, then record the hours when they are all turned off. 6-8 hours continuous generally gets to the need for a recharge.

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hints wrt battery powered locos duly noted. I'd have to do the conversion myself, feels a bit daunting but a long winter has begun in the BC Kootenays.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hints wrt battery powered locos duly noted. I'd have to do the conversion myself, feels a bit daunting but a long winter has begun in the BC Kootenays.
For your first attempt at a battery job you may find the 0-6-2 somewhat easier with more space i side than say Stainz or the Tram, though thinking as I am typing for the little ones a Battery Car may be a better bet. Then all you would need to do is isolate the motor via a double pole double throw switch so that it an still be track powered or just via the battery car. I am not normally a fan of battety cars but as they say all options have their place. With some careful work the connection at the rear could be re-wired to be what connects toe loco to the battery car with no outward changes. The switch could be hidden inside the cab like this.
041B6999-F94D-4EAD-9165-D439C1B75D6C.jpeg

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I'd intend to use a switch to have both options, track and battery power. For the 2071D/U43 I use a sound car with ample space for batteries and switch.

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
...however. Coming to think of wiring, it's either the sound car's sound fed from the loco or else the power fed from the sound car to the loco. So, sound would have to be rearranged.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
...however. Coming to think of wiring, it's either the sound car's sound fed from the loco or else the power fed from the sound car to the loco. So, sound would have to be rearranged.
I think it very much depends on the sound card, if it is a MLS one the instructions should show compatibility of either, in fact with a battery setup you should be able to control some if the sounds from the TX. If it is a digital installation things are generally much simpler with battery as the power feed to the chip is either via track or x the battery system, decided by a double pole double throw centre off switch between the two feeds in.
B61F087E-2800-405F-87C0-4EFC01E52450.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Got a long way to go. Wouldn't know what sound card LGB put in their sound box car 4135 S; on the card I find: LGB4367-35-1. But at this time there is lots of OTR to do before I tackle a battery conversion.

HowardSue

Registered
7 Nov 2020
La Pine Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
And hello from that part of Kaslo/BC where the old K & S left its traces.
After long period of inactivity I return to railway modelling. Had a little Z-scale 'empire', exhibit some Bemo RhB beneath the RhB calendar, and now into G scale. My current computer desktop image tells some but when it comes to scale, I actually have 2 1/2 ft or 760mm gear running and the line is a never completed connection between North Tyrol (Landeck) and the Engadine (Scuol/Schuls-Tarasp) and for good measure I invent a junction 'Ramosch da suot' from which trains could connect to South Tyrol (Mals/Malles).
A scant 130 sqft beneath a deck makes for a beginning. The yard tho' is sizeable ...next year!
Greetings -- rentren/Renard
View attachment 272247
Welcome from La Pine Oregon