Hello from Illinois

sclausd56

Registered
17 Feb 2021
Illinois
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone and thank you for letting me join. Been collecting LGB for years and it's a passion and weakness! My latest acquisition is an LGB Loco with the MFX/DCC chip and not owning a DCC system, I will have some questions in the near future. The only other DCC loco I own is the Christmas mogul, otherwise all analog.
Jerry

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, as most of the regulars will tell you, plenty of good advice and support plus lots of terrible [generally] jokes.
Join in and enjoy!
Monty

sclausd56

Registered
17 Feb 2021
Illinois
Best answers
Country flag
Well Monty, as a stalker at this forum for quite some time, I've already discovered that!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, forearmed is forewarned! Welcome Jerry!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Jerry..
I assume you have had to come out of the closet, as it is full of red-boxes? :);)

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jerry, we appear to be saying that to a lot of you over the pond just now. Enjoy the forum and lots of pics from you dabbling please.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jerry welcome, you may already be aware of the humour, and you still joined ;)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Jerry, just look out for the terrible jokes

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Jerry.

Most mfx/DCC locos will run on DC analog with no changes but some of the fancy features may not work as you want. I'm sure we can advise you on this and any other matter related to G scale, and even some that aren't!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness Jerry....

sclausd56

Registered
17 Feb 2021
Illinois
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Jerry.

Most mfx/DCC locos will run on DC analog with no changes but some of the fancy features may not work as you want. I'm sure we can advise you on this and any other matter related to G scale, and even some that aren't!
Welcome aboard Jerry.

Well Dave I typically do not purchase "Coke" branded trains, but I love the colors on the new LGB Mogul! I noticed in the instructions that some of the "corny" sound effects that are available are Opening a coke can, or putting ice cubes in a glass and I was wondering if these particular sounds are activated in MFX mode, or will they play if setup for DCC/analog? I do not own a DCC setup yet and have been researching them. Thanks much, Jerry

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jerry,
I assume this is the loco you are referring to:

Regarding running this in DC analog, the manual says the following:

Analog Operation
This decoder can also be operated on analog layouts or areas of track that are analog. The decoder recognizes alternating current (DC) and automatically adapts to the analog track voltage. All functions that were set under mfx or DCC for analog operation are active (see Digital Operation).

Looking at the default CV setting it looks like F0 (lights) and F6 (operating sounds) are active in DC analog mode.
You should be able to change the volume of the operating sounds with the manual volume control, and trigger the bell and whistle with track magnets, but all the other weird and wonderful sounds would require you to use DCC (or mfx).

There is also note about the synchronised smoke unit:
Smoke Unit
In analog operation, the smoke generator synchronized to the wheels is turned off due to its power draw. This can be turned on by setting CV 13 from Value 32 to Value 96, but this may affect the running characteristics when running very slowly – depending on the current supply.

If you want that on you will need to ask a friend with DCC or your dealer to set the CV in question which will effectively turn F7 (smoke generator) on in DC analog mode.

Hope this helps.

sclausd56

Registered
17 Feb 2021
Illinois
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for that Dave. You are correct, it is the coca cola mogul. I have run it back and forth with analog on a test track and it sounds so much nicer than the Christmas mogul. I currently use 2 Jumbos and have been researching DCC systems and I keep leaning towards the Massoth setup as I really like the navigator. I doubt I'd ever run more than two locos at the same time, so it might be overkill, it just seems like a nice system. The zimo is just a little too steep for me and I really don't need all that current.
Jerry