idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I am going to put my thoughts into this, a decent DCC system is likely to cost north if £1000 GB, not forgeting additional costs for wiring and possibly an external supply of mains to a Shed. You could fund Battery Power for 5-7 Locomotives for that kind of dosh depending on what system you use. More than enough locomotives for the beginner.
Your thoughts are as welcome as anyone's especially as you have long experience of both track power and battery, but you shouldn't state a large number like £1000+ without some explanation. If it is just for command station and associated paraphernalia then you can spend a lot less than £1000, as this recent thread has shown: Even lower cost wireless DCC system - G Scale Central
Of course you are right in that you can pay well over £1000 for top of the range DCC systems, but you don't have to, I know I didn't for mine. I'm sure you meant well but putting large numbers like that on the table will only reinforce the view this is a rich man's hobby and deter new entrants.

The OP should consider all their options for powering locos, analog, DCC, RC, whatever, and choose what is best for him. Greg's web page reference in post #9 is as good a place as any for the OP to start that decision process.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Your thoughts are as welcome as anyone's especially as you have long experience of both track power and battery, but you shouldn't state a large number like £1000+ without some explanation. If it is just for command station and associated paraphernalia then you can spend a lot less than £1000, as this recent thread has shown: Even lower cost wireless DCC system - G Scale Central
Of course you are right in that you can pay well over £1000 for top of the range DCC systems, but you don't have to, I know I didn't for mine. I'm sure you meant well but putting large numbers like that on the table will only reinforce the view this is a rich man's hobby and deter new entrants.

The OP should consider all their options for powering locos, analog, DCC, RC, whatever, and choose what is best for him. Greg's web page reference in post #9 is as good a place as any for the OP to start that decision process.
But I did say ‘can’.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Kevin. I became a member of this forum shortly after you joined. I’m curious about your train. Will it be outdoors, have you made track plans, do you have pictures? I too like older vehicles. My introduction of middle prong rr has a couple of pictures with one of my stoner/disco Camaro’s. Not as cool as your first generation (ragtop?) but a kindred spirit.

Edgar