Hello from another down under

Camaro

Registered
27 Apr 2020
New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Hi from me , Kevin from New Zealand.

I was given a LGB FA engine an rolling stock for a significant birthday a few years ago .

I have collected quite a bit of track since and now looking at what system is going to do the best job for me.

So I will be asking quite a few questions no doubt. Piko is what has been suggested so far which is based on believe on Massoth . We run 230 volts here so that limits to some degree the choices.

Is anyone else on this site from New Zealand . ?

My other passion is early American cars . I have owned the Camaro in my Avatar since buying it in Springfield Illinois in 2004 and cruising America .

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Kevin. Yes there are several New Zealanders on thee forum, as well as car enthusiasts I'm sure they'll introduce themselves before long.
You be able to get all the help you'll ever need on here, and some really really bad jokes

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good welcome from us lot oop ere. Weze a funi lot ere, speaks in diffrent novern accents at times.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Kevin.

As Paul mentions, there is a goodly contingent of G scalers in your country, who regularly post here, but they've probably gone to bed by now.

However, us Brits are here to help.

Regarding your comment regarding Piko, I'm assuming you mean controller. Are you planning on DC (analogue control) or DCC (Digital)? We use 230 Vac here, as does Europe, so LGB, Piko and Massoth will work fine over there, although you may need an adaptor for your mains. US kit runs on 110 V, but a lot of kit these days is multi-voltage. However, one of the US members is best placed to advise on US made equipment....

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hi from me , Kevin from New Zealand.

I was given a LGB FA engine an rolling stock for a significant birthday a few years ago .

I have collected quite a bit of track since and now looking at what system is going to do the best job for me.

So I will be asking quite a few questions no doubt. Piko is what has been suggested so far which is based on believe on Massoth . We run 230 volts here so that limits to some degree the choices.

Is anyone else on this site from New Zealand . ?

My other passion is early American cars . I have owned the Camaro in my Avatar since buying it in Springfield Illinois in 2004 and cruising America .

You have started on the right foot by being a General Motors fan. I take it that your Camaro is the Chev, rather than Holden version then. There are a few Kiwis on this site...... you're not from Auckland, are you?

Camaro

Registered
27 Apr 2020
New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
You have started on the right foot by being a General Motors fan. I take it that your Camaro is the Chev, rather than Holden version then. There are a few Kiwis on this site...... you're not from Auckland, are you?
I live in Nelson but I see Auckland has a strong group going by what I have seen. I do getup there quite often . Camaro1626@gmail.com is a LHD American car.

Camaro

Registered
27 Apr 2020
New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Kevin.

As Paul mentions, there is a goodly contingent of G scalers in your country, who regularly post here, but they've probably gone to bed by now.

However, us Brits are here to help.

Regarding your comment regarding Piko, I'm assuming you mean controller. Are you planning on DC (analogue control) or DCC (Digital)? We use 230 Vac here, as does Europe, so LGB, Piko and Massoth will work fine over there, although you may need an adaptor for your mains. US kit runs on 110 V, but a lot of kit these days is multi-voltage. However, one of the US members is best placed to advise on US made equipment....
Definitely DCC unless remote control of some sort is the future.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!

Don't 'jump' too soon for a control system..
You can go any way you want, but see if there are any other's local-ish to you, and what systems they use. - A bit of local help, especially when starting out, is worth a few extra buck's (if necessary) when buying your system.

If you like the idea of DCC, there are not only wireless throttles (handset's) to control a track-powered system, but a number of true-wireless systems appearing, where you can have batteries in the loco's and still use DCC.

An alternative, is full battery radio control: If you like US prototypes, probably Phoenix Sound are the Rolls-Royce' of sound cards for these?

Have fun! - Oh! We like pictures, as you travel on your journey. :)

PhilP.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe helpful in making decisions:

Greg

Kevin, take note of what this bloke has to say.... he comes highly recommended.
My own comments, beware the many different opinions offered. When starting out, you don't need all the bells and whistles, just start with a basic system, them decide what you really need, or can do without, then upgrade as needed. Personally, I'm still running track power that is radio controlled (and using R1, that's the tight LGB stuff, that all will warn against). It has thus far survived the climate of Middle Earth for over 20 years (check out my thread Taita Gorge Railway).

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am going to put my thoughts into this, a decent DCC system is likely to cost north if £1000 GB, not forgeting additional costs for wiring and possibly an external supply of mains to a Shed. You could fund Battery Power for 5-7 Locomotives for that kind of dosh depending on what system you use. More than enough locomotives for the beginner.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Kevin. Welcome to the forum.
When I hear 'New Zealand', I think sheep, hobbits and 16 wheelers. :giggle:

price_16w.jpg

Camaro

Registered
27 Apr 2020
New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
No I am in Nelson. Where do you source parts etc. Local or off shore ..?

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mate I am in the Coromandel, Whangamata Yes and also a car nut. I have a 38 Barrelnose pickup. Live steam and Battery for me. Watch out for this garden rail stuff it can get out of hand. Engines seem to bred when the wife is not looking. And big boxes just seem to arrive on the courier, Only $40 dear LOL

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
. Engines seem to bred when the wife is not looking.
Obviously a World Wide problem, Ebay Mike seems to have had the problem for years. Perhaps I'll start a business up to remove nests of breeding railway models, dangerous dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
No I am in Nelson. Where do you source parts etc. Local or off shore ..?

Track, NZ made, LGB compatable available mail order from Christchurch.
Model shops, Toots from Christchurch, and Mack's Tracks, Wellington.
Most things, Mail Order from Trainworld New York, or on Trade Me.
Regular monthly meetings in Auckland, Waikato, Wairarapa, Wellington, and Christchurch.