Heavy duty USB type C lead needed for charging

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, i purchased this nice 5 wire heavy duty plug/lead that will nicely fit in several areas of the loco or tender for charging. Has anyone seen a heavy duty male "type C" lead that will plug into it as i cant seem to find one, which seems odd. I can just get a 5 wire usb lead, but most have very flimsy wire inside "Maybe 1 amp" This plug is rated at 5-9v @ 3a. I am looking at this plug to balance charge my battery's with a simple 1 plug.
Thanks.
usb-pl;ug.JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would suggest that you use a standard balance lead, rather than trying to re-invent things..

PhilP

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone seen a heavy duty male "type C" lead that will plug into it as i cant seem to find one
Mr Amazon will provide you with an amazing array of USB C cables at a wide range of prices. For laptop (etc) charging, you would need to look at the 5A or 100W rated cables..... but for your 9V at 3A application the 60W rated cables would be fine (and cheaper).

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would suggest that you use a standard balance lead, rather than trying to re-invent things..

PhilP
Hi, i always understood a balance lead for a 2 cell 7.4v lipo needed 3 wires for the balance charge & 2 for the pos-neg = 5 cables

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, i always understood a balance lead for a 2 cell 7.4v lipo needed 3 wires for the balance charge & 2 for the pos-neg = 5 cables
This depends on the charger you are using, and what type of board (if any) is included within you battery pack.

A balance lead is three-wires for a 2S pack, but as these are directly connected to the cells, they also provide the two extreme connections. - These are not the same as the overall two-wire output from your pack, which will normally be through the circuitry of the BMS board.

Depending on the charger you are using:

You may be able to balance charge your pack, just using the balance lead. - The charger monitors the individual cells, and does the clever part.

You may be able to charge your pack just using the overall two-wire output lead. - The BMS controls the charging, monitoring of the individual cells, and the overall level of charge.

You may have a charger which requires the overall connection, and the balance lead as well. - These chargers tend to give more information about the individual cells, and allow you to set the level of charge, and final overall voltage of the pack.
These chargers are almost always required, if you wish to do a controlled / monitored discharge, or charge to a safe long-term storage level.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user