Hartland Locomotive Works - availability in the UK

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
The heading says it all, really - are there any stockists over here? I’m idly (very idly) thinking about a Big John (amongst other, non-HLW) stuff (Big Birthday coming up!) but can’t find anyone admitting to being a dealer. Wagon kits used to be fairly common, but that seems to have been about it.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The international dealer list, lists ECR www.gscale.co.uk as the only UK dealer.. They seem to list 3 wagons, but might be amenable to getting something in?

<edit>
Gizzy got in first!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure that there is a book retailer who also is a UK H-L-W dealer, but I can't think who that is atm....

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The Paul Bunyan version used to have solid brass domes etc. but changed a couple of years back. That's the one to get if you can find one. Hartland now do them in plastic to save on costs.
Hartland's model Dunkirk locomotives are quite heavy and have great traction. 1:24 scale.

WrH4bzPL_o.PNG

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your replies, chaps. Looked at the East Coast page before, all a bit messy and no locos that I could see. Saw the motor blocks page as well but not helpful. Something may turn up... in the meantime I shall carry on sawing up my Bachmann boxcar kit to make a bogie caboose.

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
I stock the HLW interurban (2.5inch) and Mack/Sparky (3inch) blocks, along with service/spare parts for them. I don't carry any of the other blocks (4-4-0, 2-4-4T, big john) because they're only 12v - but I can get them to order if required.

I've never stocked any complete vehicles, but I'm certainly amenable to checking a price on anything people want - unfortunately airfreight across the Atlantic doesn't come cheap, so it's usually painful on locos, and can all but double the price on unpowered rolling stock.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
I stock the HLW interurban (2.5inch) and Mack/Sparky (3inch) blocks, along with service/spare parts for them. I don't carry any of the other blocks (4-4-0, 2-4-4T, big john) because they're only 12v - but I can get them to order if required.

I've never stocked any complete vehicles, but I'm certainly amenable to checking a price on anything people want - unfortunately airfreight across the Atlantic doesn't come cheap, so it's usually painful on locos, and can all but double the price on unpowered rolling stock.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

As a personal opinion, I've seldom had to go over 9 or 10 volts on Hartland or Delton 12 volt locomotives. American Standard (Great Trains) mostly had 12 volt motors on the F40, but about a 3rd of the motor blocks that I've seen were wired in series. As the manufacturer of OEM motor blocks comes and goes, I've found that USA Trains NW2 or S-4 motor blocks are really close for wheelbase and visuals.
---Hutch