Hartland Click and Go track

LFOCD

Registered
5 Sep 2020
Oceanside, California
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, I am brand new to G but been in N for 50 years. I have a question about Hartland Click and Go track, specifically Hartland Locomotive Works 08114 Click N Go .What radius are the curves and has anybody used it outside? It seems so much cheaper than LGB brass track and I have plans for a large layout. Thank you. I know they have gone out of business, unfortunately, but some shops still have some and it is 8 pieces for 27.00 so it is tempting but probably very tight. thank you for your help

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

I've never seen HLW track. If it is brass and has sleepers that are UVA/UVB stable, then it should be fine.

But if it is steel track, I wouldn't want to use it outdoors....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If this is the track which uses thin metal, folded into the profile of a rail, then it will rot to dust in a fairly short-time..

If not, then please ignore the above comment.. :)

Oh! Welcome to the Forum! :):nod::nod:

PhilP.

LFOCD

Registered
5 Sep 2020
Oceanside, California
Best answers
Country flag

LFOCD

Registered
5 Sep 2020
Oceanside, California
Best answers
Country flag
If this is the track which uses thin metal, folded into the profile of a rail, then it will rot to dust in a fairly short-time..

If not, then please ignore the above comment.. :)

Oh! Welcome to the Forum! :):nod::nod:

PhilP.
Hi PhilP, thank you for taking time to answer. That's part of the problem with the track, no information on line but I am learning about it all the same. Thank you for welcoming me as well.

LFOCD

Registered
5 Sep 2020
Oceanside, California
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

I've never seen HLW track. If it is brass and has sleepers that are UVA/UVB stable, then it should be fine.

But if it is steel track, I wouldn't want to use it outdoors....
Thank you Gozzy, too. Much appreciated. I have learned today that it is probably steel, which for me, since I am doing battey and radio wire control wpuldnt really matter but we will see.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you do a bit more research, you will see that it is referenced by suppliers as an "indoor only" track. Read down on this page, it is referenced.

It's cheap for a reason, not really tough enough to weather outdoors.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Gozzy, too. Much appreciated. I have learned today that it is probably steel, which for me, since I am doing battey and radio wire control wpuldnt really matter but we will see.
As mentioned by PhilP, steel track will rust. That would also explain why it is so cheap!

Track power or no, I would still advocate the use of brass rail and sun-stable ties.

Maybe an expensive investment to start with, but it will pay dividends later.

I have brass LGB track that is over 20 years old, possibly even older....

LFOCD

Registered
5 Sep 2020
Oceanside, California
Best answers
Country flag
If you do a bit more research, you will see that it is referenced by suppliers as an "indoor only" track. Read down on this page, it is referenced.

It's cheap for a reason, not really tough enough to weather outdoors.

Greg
Thank you so much Greg. I had come across that page earlier but now I see it has lots of very good information that I must have missed. Much appreciated.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I know it's your money, not mine, but track is the last thing in the world you want to go cheap on, especially with a large layout. It will be a large investment, but it is the foundation of your layout. Also if you spend money and it turns out crap, then your layout will always be crap, no matter how nice your rolling stock.

Plan for expansion, build in phases, buy used track for half price, use clamps if you run track power.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. Cheap track is probably a waste of time, unless of course it's expensive track scrounged cheaply! A chap (Igor) is making his own track and is showing us how elsewhere on the forum, if that's any use

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Track is one of those things that we do agonise over as it tends to be quite expensive. But I have used a lot of second hand track on this line and earlier ones. I just recently bought 5 Peco G points second hand for around £80 UK Sterling from this forum, great value and are already doing service on my line.

Good to think big and your options for dead rail with radio wire are sound. But start modest and build on that as you gain experience and amass cash for your line. It does not have to all be built in a day, after all Rome was not! You could get a small amount of it to get you started then look for good quality second hand and move the Hartland steel track to an old closed branch and let it rust away. Would make a nice talking point as you have plans for a big layout.