GWR VW Railcar

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Many years ago, it stuck me that the Great Western Shirt Button logo had a similarity to the VW badge!
The GWRs successor BRs Western Region also seemed to have a Germanic link demonstrated through their adoption of Hydraulic transmission for their diesels and in particular their version of the DB V200 in the form of the D800 Warship class
I also thought the VW beetle van family seemed to have something of the DNA of both the V200s and the GWRs 1930s streamlined railcars
So when passing a Toyshop with an impressive display of Kinsmart 1/24 scale VW minibuses in its window, it isn’t surprising that I came away with two for a future project.
They sat on a shelf at home until the Grail 2019 show at Nottingham when at the Fosworks stand a Fosmotor was bought along with three further matching non powdered wheel sets.
With these materials in hand the whole lot sat awaiting their turn in my build queue
Lockdown meant that they eventually got to the workbench !
The task of creating a rail car from these components seemed relatively straightforward
The Idea being that BRs western region looked for an ultra cheap option to rescue low usage branch lines before Dr Beeching would do his worst
The conversion involved using brass angle to mount the wheels
These would also double as footboards on the vehicles sides
The floor pans of the two vans were set about with a power file to accommodate the wheels and axles
All went well until I realised the supplied wheel sets were non insulated
Being one of those bods relying on powered track it meant removing the wheels from each axle on one side, drilling the wheel centres and then insulating the axle shoulders prior to reassembling
With a bit of painting and the addition of the GWR logo on the bonnets the conversion was relatively swift and relatively simple

Attachments

• 51FCC7A9-DE65-47CE-B2D3-82C401B1773F.jpeg
    51FCC7A9-DE65-47CE-B2D3-82C401B1773F.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 0
  • BBFF8070-5621-41D7-8EBB-8249FDC59A56.jpeg
    BBFF8070-5621-41D7-8EBB-8249FDC59A56.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 71AAEB6D-8417-4F02-A149-F339786EC211.jpeg
    71AAEB6D-8417-4F02-A149-F339786EC211.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Many years ago, it stuck me that the Great Western Shirt Button logo had a similarity to the VW badge!
The GWRs successor BRs Western Region also seemed to have a Germanic link demonstrated through their adoption of Hydraulic transmission for their diesels and in particular their version of the DB V200 in the form of the D800 Warship class
I also thought the VW beetle van family seemed to have something of the DNA of both the V200s and the GWRs 1930s streamlined railcars
So when passing a Toyshop with an impressive display of Kinsmart 1/24 scale VW minibuses in its window, it isn’t surprising that I came away with two for a future project.
They sat on a shelf at home until the Grail 2019 show at Nottingham when at the Fosworks stand a Fosmotor was bought along with three further matching non powdered wheel sets.
With these materials in hand the whole lot sat awaiting their turn in my build queue
Lockdown meant that they eventually got to the workbench !
The task of creating a rail car from these components seemed relatively straightforward
The Idea being that BRs western region looked for an ultra cheap option to rescue low usage branch lines before Dr Beeching would do his worst
The conversion involved using brass angle to mount the wheels
These would also double as footboards on the vehicles sides
The floor pans of the two vans were set about with a power file to accommodate the wheels and axles
All went well until I realised the supplied wheel sets were non insulated
Being one of those bods relying on powered track it meant removing the wheels from each axle on one side, drilling the wheel centres and then insulating the axle shoulders prior to reassembling
With a bit of painting and the addition of the GWR logo on the bonnets the conversion was relatively swift and relatively simple

Hopefully will there be a video of it in action, please?

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
In action?
Ok take the big one.

20 Vw Bus were made abd rub for Deutsche Bundesbahn.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
All it needs is a couple of surf boards & some dudes!

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
Would love to see the VW railbus in action. Is there a clip on YouTube or similar?

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Would love to see the VW railbus in action. Is there a clip on YouTube or similar?
Here is a short clip of it running on my test track
Chris
have got a clip of the Railbus running but at present having issues uploading it
Will try and sort

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
Here is a short clip of it running on my test track
Chris

have got a clip of the Railbus running but at present having issues uploading it
Will try and sort
Thanks. Look forward to seeing it.

I looked on ebay Germany yesterday and they are now circa £200 including postage. I was debating whether to get one.

Paul

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Brekina Draisine VW Bus für LGB -17- | eBay[/URL]

Or in blue:
Brekina Spur G Draisine Klv 20 _ VW Bus T1 mit Motor _ blau __ NEU | eBay

Or in blue from grootspoor / Netherland:

Her another link from >Kieskämper / Germay in red:

Last edited:

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. Look forward to seeing it.

I looked on ebay Germany yesterday and they are now circa £200 including postage. I was debating whether to get one.

Paul
I think the various bits to build the pair came to well under half the eBay figure
But I suspect the off the peg model will in the long run be more reliable and probably have all sorts of features (lights?) etc

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
Or in blue from grootspoor / Netherland:

Her another link from >Kieskämper / Germay in red:
Unfortunately the maroon one from Kieskamper for 99 Euros had sold out when I tried to order. But I appreciate the links you sent me. I can't afford to pay £200 for a maroon version on ebay so will have to sit pretty until one magically appears :)

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
I think the various bits to build the pair came to well under half the eBay figure
But I suspect the off the peg model will in the long run be more reliable and probably have all sorts of features (lights?) etc
Thanks but I'm looking for a ready to run version. I will see what comes up online.