Gunmetal in Halfords

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Popped into Halfords today looking for a rattle-can of gun-metal - hoping to improve the appearance of a Bachmann Annie with shiny silver smokebox before the end of this warm spell.

No such colour of course just a bewildering variety of Grey Car Greys.

Has anyone got a proven choice - Rover- Audi- Mercedes - Volvo or whatever?

Mike

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Any suggestions please?

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Ross,

It is one of the Humbrol 'Metalcote' ramnge ref number 27004, though I suspect you may need 27003 which is polished steel, 27004 is almost black, in tinlets NOT a rattle can.

Make sure you have some cellulose thinners to clean out the brush in and after you have finished. Polish the surface and then add a coat of varnish.

f71328a2563c4834bd62fb4392260161.jpg

The boiler on my 'Como' is gunmetal and this shot is slightly light as it is reflecting the sky! The smokebox is close to polished steel colour. For a better indicator of 'gunmetal look between the cab and the Westinghouse pump.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
ROSS said:
Hey Pete. That looks damn good. Who painted & lined it?
Lots of character to that loco.
By the way, the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette is a good issue for Sept/Oct. G Scale it is not, but a good read for ideas.

Hi Ross,

Built by me (with the help of the web and 'myLargescale.com' the painted etc, by me with transers designed in Australia, printed in the USA, and applied in the UK - we cover the world!

Incidentally the Metalcote range has a lighter silver colour - 'Aluminium' in both matt and polished versions as well. Give them a varnish afterwards an it then kkeops the shine - I use Johnson's 'Klear' - which is meant for kitchen floors!

You mention the magazine 'Short Line Gazette' - I agree with you I have had it for years, and it is invariably is very interesting, including the present issue.

There has been some mentions in earlier issures of a 45 ft a 90 ft G scale (indoor) layout and some DVD's made on it. Have a look at Pacific Vista publishing at the following link http://www.pacificvistapublishing.com/pvp_002.htm then goto Tom Miller, there is a 'preview' as well.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
peterbunce said:
You mention the magazine 'Short Line Gazette' - I agree with you I have had it for years, and it is invariably is very interesting, including the present issue.

There has been some mentions in earlier issures of a 45 ft a 90 ft G scale (indoor) layout and some DVD's made on it. Have a look at Pacific Vista publishing at the following link http://www.pacificvistapublishing.com/pvp_002.htm then goto Tom Miller, there is a 'preview' as well.

I have seen videos of this layout and boy is it good. The term 'is it real or is it model' do definitely apply. The detailing is just superb. But oh to have the cash, and space, to build a 'train-room' that size... 4000 square feet!!! His out door railroad looked pretty special as well.
But perhaps he is...a......banker.......

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Best bet is to keep an eye out for cars on the road which look like a gun metal, remember what make it was, that way you'll have it narrowed down and will at least have a good idead what the paint will look like when dry. The end caps of the paint never match the actual shade accurately.

rjstott

DIY, Photography, Electronics and Computers
8 Jan 2010
Lougratte, France
Best answers
moz-screenshot.png
My Landrover Discovery 2 could be described as Gun Metal Grey?

5cdf9e33d179472eb048523d18c07499.jpg

Richard

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
You need to ask Minimans, he knows about gun metal :rofl::rofl:
As a kid doing military modelling I used to mix grey and silver until I got the colour I wanted. 8|