Guide for idiots

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been reading the various posts about the printers themselves and am fascinated to be honest. However, I’m stumped when it comes to the creation of the pattern. I’m assuming that there are commercially available ‘patterns’ of things to be printed. I also assume (dangerous I know) that there may be a ‘sharing’ community. More to the point, how do you create your own patterns? Can you scan existing items?

Hence my need for an idiots guide!

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mike Duffy has been advocating thingyverse as a depository of ready made patterns for 3D printing and this is obviously one of the sharing sources, Shapeways is another but probably a bit costly.

For your own designs, you need an autocad facility that also slices - and then I'm lost :think::think::think:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You can use other people's 'designs' from the likes of Thingiverse. - A website where people share their designs..
You can draw your own items. - You need a 3D CAD'drawing package for this.. There is a learning-curve, and a little talent helps.
You then use a piece of software called a Slicer.. This (as the name implies) creates the information for each 'layer' you are going to print.
You then need the printer. - Either one which uses filament, or a Resin printer, that makes items within a bath of liquid resin.

Shapeways, is another website mainly (but not exclusively) where people can post their designs. - You can 'buy' a printed item.. You select the item, then decide what material you want it printed in. This affects the quality of the printed item.
It used to be that Shapeways had 'better' priunters, than those you may have at home, but this is no longer necessarily the case.
Their service does mean that you can obtain 3D printed items, without having your own printer. BUT what you get will depend on how good the original drawing/file is. What it is printed on (which printer) and what material it is printed in..

PhilP.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it dose have that effect.. You download the free files.. Save the 3d image, into a splicing software, free with your printer, on a pc.. It converts it into a file the printer can read.. Save it to a micro USB drive, and plug it into the printer.. Its as complicated as that..
Put it this way.. I managed.. It must be simple.

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_174053.jpg
    IMG_20200819_174053.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 1

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everyone. very useful.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you want to draw your own models and then print them, I'd thoroughly recommend TinkerCAD. I've tried other 3D drawing packages but they are tricky to use. TinkerCAD is dead easy to use and actually quite powerful. Here are just a few of the things I've drawn and then printed.
IMG_1124.JPGIMG_1106.JPGIMG_1213.JPGBeeston Castle nameboard.jpg

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a beginners'guide to drawing, in this case, a window frame with TinkerCAD.

RIK

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
And here's how I drew and printed the luggage van. This post shows the whole process from drawing, through printing to construction. I've then gone on to show how I went on the modify and improve the original drawings which, of course, is the great advantage of being able to make your own drawings.

Rik

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Rick. I shall study those.

Thanks again.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wow Rik as ever your how to takes a top score, actually better than that. I think that with my current 2d Cad abilities I may even be able to emulate something simple now. All I need to do is find some space for the 3D printer! Oh and decode on a model, not a simple task looking at some of the threads on here oh and get to grips with the Elephant issues!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Allegedly,

If you are using LGB track..................................

Elephants, are not a problem! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag