Guidance please - fitting a Massoth Power Buffer to a Massoth L decoder

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm wondering if any of you DCC whizz-kids could help a novice in fitting a Massoth Power Buffer to a Massoth L?

The power buffer instructions say a switch must be include to isolate the buffer when the decoder is being programmed. unless I use a Massoth XL However, the instructions for the L decoder (section 3.3.3) say that if I connect the control line of the buffer (the white lead) to F5 then this can be used to switch off the buffer automatically - provided I set CV118 to 31. This is very attractive as it saves having to find somewhere to fit a manual switch and as I don't use any of the decoder functions, I won't need F5 for anything else. However, I may have misread the instructions and got the wrong end of the stick.

So:
1. Has anyone got experience of fitting a power buffer using this approach - have I got it right?
2. How do I set CV118 to 31 (using a Universal Remote)?

Any guidance, experiences or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Rik

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
I'm wondering if any of you DCC whizz-kids could help a novice in fitting a Massoth Power Buffer to a Massoth L?

The power buffer instructions say a switch must be include to isolate the buffer when the decoder is being programmed. unless I use a Massoth XL However, the instructions for the L decoder (section 3.3.3) say that if I connect the control line of the buffer (the white lead) to F5 then this can be used to switch off the buffer automatically - provided I set CV118 to 31. This is very attractive as it saves having to find somewhere to fit a manual switch and as I don't use any of the decoder functions, I won't need F5 for anything else. However, I may have misread the instructions and got the wrong end of the stick.

So:
1. Has anyone got experience of fitting a power buffer using this approach - have I got it right?
2. How do I set CV118 to 31 (using a Universal Remote)?
Hi Rik

1) Yes!
2) You can't. You can only program CVs up to 99 with an LGB universal remote. You need to find someone with a Massoth remote or a Sprog programmer to help you.

Good luck!

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Same answers as Peter.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
You can only program CVs up to 99 with an LGB universal remote. You need to find someone with a Massoth remote or a Sprog programmer to help you.

Thanks for the info.
Can anyone help? I live near Chester.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
I've a Sprog and I'm in S Manchester about 40 mins away
Never fitted a power buffer though

Hopefully we can sort it out between us.
Will PM.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
OK - still struggling with fitting this power buffer. I've sorted out the switching for the buffer but, according to the instructions for the Massoth L Decoder I need to reset CV29 bit2 (L decoder manual section 3.3.3), to turn off analogue mode.

I've worked out how to use the Universal Remote to program CV values - but how do I reset CV29 bit2? The Central station manual only explains setting CV values, but says nothing about 'bits'.

Help!

Rik

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
I've worked out how to use the Universal Remote to program CV values - but how do I reset CV29 bit2? The Central station manual only explains setting CV values, but says nothing about 'bits'.

Rik - you need to look at the table for CV29 (page 31 in the configuration manual).
To set digital mode only with 14 speed steps (LGB MTS), choose CV29 and enter a value of 0 (zero). For 28 speed steps, enter 2.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Rik - you need to look at the table for CV29 (page 31 in the configuration manual).
To set digital mode only with 14 speed steps (LGB MTS), choose CV29 and enter a value of 0 (zero). For 28 speed steps, enter 2.

Thanks - it makes more sense now. I hadn't spotted that there were 'digital only' and 'digital + analog' settings.
Another example of RTFM on my part.

Thanks for clearing the mists.

So - just to check (and for anyone else who at a later date picks up this thread) the process is:

1. Insert programming module into Remote
2. Connect relevant leads to transformer and to decoder (eg through programming track)
3. Power up
4. Should show 'P' on remote LCD panel
5. Press '6' on remote
6. Enter '29' on remote (for CV29)
7. Press right arrow on remote
8. Wait until 'P' shows on remote
9. Press '5' on remote
10. Enter '0' on remote (to enter 0 as value - ie 14 acceleration steps, digital only)
11. Press right arrow on remote
12. Wait until 'P' shows on remote

Does that process sound OK?

Rik

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
whatlep said:

Thanks - it makes more sense now. I hadn't spotted that there were 'digital only' and 'digital + analog' settings.
Another example of RTFM on my part.

Thanks for clearing the mists.

So - just to check (and for anyone else who at a later date picks up this thread) the process is:

2. Connect relevant leads to transformer and to decoder (eg through programming track)
3. Power up
4. Should show 'P' on remote LCD panel
5. Press '6' on remote
6. Enter '29' on remote (for CV29)
8. Wait until 'P' shows on remote
9. Press '5' on remote
10. Enter '0' on remote (to enter 0 as value - ie 14 acceleration steps, digital only)
11. Press right arrow on remote
12. Wait until 'P' shows on remote

Does that process sound OK?

Rik
That's the process for one of the early series 55015 universal remotes. On more recent ones, the process is
3. Power up
4. Should show 'C' on remote LCD panel
5. Enter '29' on remote (for CV29)
6. Enter '0' on remote (to enter 0 as value - ie 14 acceleration steps, digital only)
8. Wait until 'C' shows on remote

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
That's the process for one of the early series 55015 universal remotes. On more recent ones, the process is
3. Power up
4. Should show 'C' on remote LCD panel
5. Enter '29' on remote (for CV29)
6. Enter '0' on remote (to enter 0 as value - ie 14 acceleration steps, digital only)
8. Wait until 'C' shows on remote

Great! That should cover all eventualities - unless anyone knows differently.

Must get a more up to date Universal Remote....................

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
At last!! My Hunslet is now equipped with a Power Buffer which greatly improves its slow running, particularly over the dead frogs of pointwork. The disadvantage is that I can no longer run the loco in analogue mode, which is a bit of a nuisance as I have a wheel cleaner attached to an old Starter Set transformer - looks like I'll have to attach a couple of crocodile clips to the leads and run this off the DCC powered track. However, I think this is a small price to pay for the improvement in slow running and reliability.

The greatest problem I found was trying to find space in the loco body to position the buffer - as it's a small 0-4-0 loco space is tight. However, by re-positioning some of the weights there was just sufficient space in the firebox. You'll see from the photo that I've installed a small slide switch to disable the buffer when programming the decoder. I tried programming CV118 with Cheeky Monkey's sprog but in fitting the buffer I had dislodged the decoder wiring and had to dismantle the loco again to rewire. In the end it was easier to fit the switch.

6817dd433fac4ebb8d69d5b52bef1984.jpg

fea4c1f0ce6845e0a21cccbc9e94471e.jpg

The loco looks a little worse for wear having been completely dismantled twice and hacked about a fair bit - but some judicious filling and repainting should hopefully cover up the damage. It needs to be weathered anyway, so I might take the opportunity to tackle that job.

7c3a4cea9e3748c09c81b63ef6b65b86.jpg

So, thanks again to one and all for your help and guidance. I'm now considering adding buffers to the rest of my locos.

Rik

PS - I think there's something Freudian going on - whenever I try to type 'buffers' my fingers keep typing 'gg' instead of 'ff'

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
At last!! My Hunslet is now equipped with a Power Buffer which greatly improves its slow running, particularly over the dead frogs of pointwork.

Well done mate! Glad to see it's all worked out in the end. :clap: