6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Moss is great until the birds start ripping it up to get at the insects underneath. They then leave the moss across rails ready to derail the next train.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've tried the yogurt and beer mix. Didn't work for me here in NW Florida - it just got our Collies into a panic to go and lick it off!

I've tried the moss milkshakes too, without success.

I tend to have a better luck with a moss nursery in a dark damp patch, then transplant it and keep it damp!

tgood

Registered
12 Mar 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've tried the yogurt and beer mix. Didn't work for me here in NW Florida - it just got our Collies into a panic to go and lick it off!

I've tried the moss milkshakes too, without success.

I tend to have a better luck with a moss nursery in a dark damp patch, then transplant it and keep it damp!
I have success using buttermilk at 50/50 with water. Works for me

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Full fat milk just before it turns sour works a treat here in the East Midlands. I used to pour it over buildings, bridges, track, in fact anywhere where I felt like. Over the years the moss grew and grew, but as I stated in post #2, the birds love to throw it around when looking for insects causing derailments.

tgood

Registered
12 Mar 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Full fat milk just before it turns sour works a treat here in the East Midlands. I used to pour it over buildings, bridges, track, in fact anywhere where I felt like. Over the years the moss grew and grew, but as I stated in post #2, the birds love to throw it around when looking for insects causing derailments.
My biggest problem are the squirrels digging up everything to bury their black walnuts which become a pain come spring. So a trip to a friends farm in Iowa netted three tubs of corn for then to gnaw on. Seems to work.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
My experience is that if you're in a moss-friendly area, you'll get moss; but be careful what you wish for! I ran a train this afternoon, and the moss threatened to derail the loco. When there is a frost, the moss freezes solid and prevents running. I dream of a moss-free line!