Greetings from NE Scotland

Granitbahn

Chris Bird & Jo Chapman
5 Dec 2022
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Recently joined so I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris Bird and with my partner Jo, we built the Granitbahn in our Aberdeenshire woodland garden between 2004 and 2008 after an inspirational week travelling on the real RhB. For a variety of reasons the railway has lain dormant for 6 years but we are now slowly recovering it from nature’s grasp (until the snow arrived). Having run primarily LGB and some Bachmann, all DCC, we‘d like to move towards live steam and battery conversion, which would greatly ease the task of rail cleaning and connectivity issues. So we look forward to exploring those forums - first task being to fit RC to a never steamed Frank S bought way back in 2007. We’ll also be looking at points automation, completing a rack section and selling some existing locos and stock to fund a couple of live steamers (pricey but i guess that’s the nature of addiction ). Hope to share our progress and probably ask a few questions. Seems like photos are in high demand here so here are some of the Granitbahn taken a good few years ago when it was up and running
Merry Christmas and stay warm

F5C9ACF1-246A-4A53-B7C9-89D2D1B239B2.jpeg5DD4E931-2919-441A-96FB-BAEB4C7C0C44.jpegDC863266-4EAA-4C4E-A20B-44EB1AC7E488.jpeg824C378C-CC5A-487E-A825-8CE2C208CE8A.jpeg01AA6650-C1E6-4EFC-BF33-58733BC2DAD0.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I like it! That's a great looking RR you've got. Love the viaducts. Welcome Chris and Jo. By the way, you might add your given name(s) to the signature line of your account. That way it is appended to all you posts.

Reactions: 1 user

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Good to see you joined, Chris. That's a smashing railway. I'm sure if and when you are ready to offer some surplus items for sale to fund a change in direction, the immensely wealthy membership of this forum might well show an interest. :D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
When I saw the name 'Granitbahn' my mind went to a sort of Fred Flintstone set up ................ forgive me :mask::mask::mask:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Wow..just wow

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Chris,

Hello from Central Scotland, have you had the snow plough out today, we've got about 15-20mm of the white stuff so far, a bit earlier than it has been in recent years.
I don't normally venture much further north than St. Andrews where a friend has a very nice 45mm gauge set up.

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
Best answers
Country flag
Thats very nice, really fantastic pics, thanks for posting and welcome to GSC

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Chris!

Those pictures look familiar? ;)

Do you have the original LGB instructions, for your Frank S? - I have a 'pdf' copy, and the fitting of a servo looks to be quite straight forward.
:nerd:

PhilP.

Granitbahn

Chris Bird & Jo Chapman
5 Dec 2022
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Chris,

Hello from Central Scotland, have you had the snow plough out today, we've got about 15-20mm of the white stuff so far, a bit earlier than it has been in recent years.
I don't normally venture much further north than St. Andrews where a friend has a very nice 45mm gauge set up.
Hello David, it’s been a truly revolting day up here. Hard ice first thing, then a mix of sleet and rain. 20 mins with our 2 dogs in the garden was quite sufficient. Good to hear of other railways north of the border. I have a son in Glasgow and one near Kinross and we’re up and down quite often to Dundee where we are in the early stages of trying to convert a 200 year old derelict water mill into a future home. Thankfully we’re in no hurry. None of this Grand Designs ‘living in a caravan with an expectant wife, 3 kids, 2 cats and a hamster’ stuff, stressing out because the windows haven’t arrived from Germany. Quite happy to stay put, play golf and sort the railway out. If you ever venture further north, you’re most welcome to call in. Cheers for now.

Granitbahn

Chris Bird & Jo Chapman
5 Dec 2022
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Chris!

Those pictures look familiar? ;)

Do you have the original LGB instructions, for your Frank S? - I have a 'pdf' copy, and the fitting of a servo looks to be quite straight forward.
:nerd:

PhilP.
Hi Phil, indeed they should! I also downloaded a Frank S pdf. I think you’re right, just need to figure out a secure mounting. Linkage should line up nicely. Hope weather‘s nicer where you are. Cabin fever setting in here
Still, good progress made on the ‘what to sell’ list. Of course I don’t really want to part with anything train-related but if I want a new live steamer, I‘m going have to be brutal. Sad fact is that we‘ll probably end up spending a chunk of the proceeds on electricity, heating oil and food ☹️ On that cheery note, have a good w/e

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. If you're interested in live steam, try the 16mm Association.
Oh beware of the jokes

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, how lucky you are to have what appears to be a real water course running through your garden.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum, it would seem you have been given the normal warnings poor humour, and bad joke, but it is fun here :)

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful garden and railway...if you can send more pictures but no rush. Battery power is the way to go. Do you have your rail on utube?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Chris and Jo.

And a very nice railway too....

Reactions: 1 users

Granitbahn

Chris Bird & Jo Chapman
5 Dec 2022
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful garden and railway...if you can send more pictures but no rush. Battery power is the way to go. Do you have your rail on utube?
Thanks. The upkeep of the garden alone, just shy of 3/4 acre, could be a full-time job, never mind tending the railway. Nothing on youtube I’m afraid - always been a bit reticent about publicising the railway but as with most lines, there’s a story to tell so if it’s a long winter I might get round to writing up its history and posting some early photos. We began with a never-been cultivated wilderness, boy was it hard graft for 3 years. Makes me tired even thinking about it

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Well if you switch to battery power. You will go from a full time job to a part time.

Granitbahn

Chris Bird & Jo Chapman
5 Dec 2022
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, how lucky you are to have what appears to be a real water course running through your garden.
Thanks Jon. It is indeed a real watercourse, called the Red Burn, it flows down into the River Don. And of course when we designed the line, it just had to be crossed (twice). In the summer it’s a very pleasant babbling brook and a good watering hole for the dogs.

760DCA40-303A-4CEE-8CEC-7E414A62B930.jpeg
8956F07A-54E4-43B2-BBA8-37546D316153.jpeg

However, it‘s a very different story after increasingly more frequent torrential rain and a sobering reminder of why it was a great idea to ridiculously over-engineer the bridges (2m sections of steel plate bolted to a pair of box girders) - strong enough to walk across and thankfully still standing after 16 years.

F0AD5496-8F23-49B2-84F8-F6713BCD4DDD.jpeg

CFB41AB9-9B0B-4BB8-8347-D1EBA587404F.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think that you need to worry about over engineering the bridges in your case! Do you run trains whilst the stream is in spate?