Greetings from Harrisburg Pennsylvania

FlyPlanesPlayTrains

Registered
1 Nov 2021
Camp Hill, PA USA
Best answers
Hello all…

I am an O gauge operator, with a modest 15’ X 20’ X 20’ horseshoe shaped layout. I run (mostly) scale equipment from Lionel & MTH under command control….DCS & TMCC remote handhelds.

Until two weeks ago, I had ZERO interest in G.

I’m in long term ground & flight training at my airline, for The Airbus A320. While sitting in my hotel room, mired in studying for the ‘systems’ written test, I needed a break to rest my feeble brain.
Youtube, in its algorithm’s infinite wisdom, suggested a video from Melbournesparks.
They were some of the most mentally & physically relaxing things I’ve ever viewed... like an off switch for the mind.

Naturally, I’ve purchased a 2035 trolley, and 2046 RhB rack locomotive. Also a smattering of track, a few switches, including a lovely 3-way LGB switch. About 30 catenary poles & several tubes of new old stock wire...a 12 pack of rack rail & 24 of their track locks. A reverse loop track set, a switch controller. Also a nearly free MRC Tech II transformer…since all my O gauge track power is AC.

I think that about sums it up. I’ve gone off the deep end, and I’m eagerly awaiting a fun outdoor garden layout project with the kids this spring.

Thanks in advance to whomever may help answer my probably basic, and ridiculous questions in the future.

Tom

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, Tom.
Yes, Melbournesparks is an inspiration, and there are a couple of other trammish types on here to steal ideas learn from.
Any road, have fun and remember than Plan B (or Plan 9) is always available.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Tom!

Sounds like you got it bad!
Don't be afraid to ask questions, but most of all...

Enjoy!

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Tom, Melbourne Sparks posts are great, but be warned, it takes years to create a set up like that, not least getting the surroundings mature.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Tom. You are definitely in the heartland of O scale (TCA just up the street?) However, there are lots of G scale guys around if you need to see what others have done.

Ricketygbridges

Registered
2 Dec 2021
8 Shearer St. Palmer, Ma 01069
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Aboard Tom.
I'm also into O gauge , for 60 + years ,not into the digital stuff, miles of hard wiring , and same with my indoor and outdoor G layouts. The great thing about G is the things you can do with it outdoors if you have the space. Plan this part well is my best advise for now.. Have fun creating your dream. R

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ooooh!
A GP38-2 in BN livery.. - Even if it does have BNSF on the side..
:):clap: