G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Boys & Girls,
I'm pretty new to model trains.
I'm currently trying to complete a conversion of a Lionel GP9 Seaboard to Foswork remote control. The LIPO battery replaces the lead ballast weight quite nicely but I'm not sure the 11.1V will be ideal. I'm replacing the lights with LEDs and have constructed a small PCB to operate the horn & bell.
Then there's just the small problem that I've no track as yet and a highly unsuitable steeply graded wind swept back garden to contend with. Onwards & upwards !
I've enjoyed reading many a post but don't really understand the ins & outs of how Forums work. Bare with me !
Regards,
Joe

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Morning and welcome - you'll get the hang of the forum soon. Whether you'll get the hang of the humour that quickly is anyone's guess :giggle:

The GP9 conversion sounds interesting and yes, I'm not sure that 11.1v would be enough. We have one or two forumites who have ventured into the world of Li-po; some of us have stuck with NiMh just because it's what we know :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Boys & Girls,
I'm pretty new to model trains.
I'm currently trying to complete a conversion of a Lionel GP9 Seaboard to Foswork remote control. The LIPO battery replaces the lead ballast weight quite nicely but I'm not sure the 11.1V will be ideal. I'm replacing the lights with LEDs and have constructed a small PCB to operate the horn & bell.
Then there's just the small problem that I've no track as yet and a highly unsuitable steeply graded wind swept back garden to contend with. Onwards & upwards !
I've enjoyed reading many a post but don't really understand the ins & outs of how Forums work. Bare with me !
Regards,
Joe
Welcome to the Forum Joe, the only rules you need to worry about is be nice, no politics (been ticked off myself a few time for that!).

Not sure about replacing the Weight with a LiPo as they are quite light, you may find eventually that haulage will may be restricted. 11.1 should be fine as once you remove the issues of track power the locomotives have a lower requirement in terms of Volts and Amps.

My line build is shown below and a vid of my line you can just click the links in blue plus plenty of other help in here by looking through the varying other Forums. Oh yes and bad jokes.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Joe. I don't know anything about batteries expect they always run out when you need them. Oh except the car batteries I use on my 5" ride on railway. Enjoy G scale and the forum!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
S'all down to how you manage them..

You obviously manage to flatten them!
:D:D:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Joe. I don't know anything about batteries expect they always run out when you need them. Oh except the car batteries I use on my 5" ride on railway. Enjoy G scale and the forum!
Talking about car batteries - the after market alarm on the SS1, that doesn't work, still does enough to totally flatten the battery over winter - Nul Points this morning :(:(

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your comments.
The LIPO is 2200mA/hr.
I've added a number of packets filled with lead shot so as to match the weight of the original lead ballast.
Regards,
Joe

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You'd better be quick, they're about to outlaw lead shot ;);)

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
The lead shot I got was from counter buoyancy weights used by scuba (?) divers.
Presumably designed to poison fish rather than dispatch terrestrial wildlife !

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The divers shot I use for weight is steel based, as it is magnetic.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that it is a long time since I have eaten game that still had the odd lead pellet in it :cool::cool:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that it is a long time since I have eaten game that still had the odd lead pellet in it :cool::cool:
I thought it was all depleted Uranium these days?

For extra penetration! :eek:
:devil::devil::devil:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Joe, sounds like you made a good start. Is there a local group you can join so that you can run your loco? Be careful of sticking lead weights to your engine, some glues and lead can be quit problematic

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Joe....

G-round hog

Registered
22 Dec 2020
Eastbourne-sur-Mer
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks.
It's definitely lead, but in sealed plastic bags.
Am hoping not to need glue, or the hammer !
Regards,
Joe

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Adds to the flavour, old chap.

DSCF0094.JPG

....shoot em between the eyes, more humane, and no additives in you tucker.