Grass

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Having built my new concrete incline, i now want to lay turf on a slope to give the impression of a embankment. Will it grow ok on a slope with 5 inches of soil below it at its lowest depth?

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
hoping not to cut it too much, id like it to go sort of rough looking, i hate the concrete, its ruined the look of my once nice garden, so it must be disguised :)

E

Elmtree Line

Thought about seeding it? you can have a look around at what effect you want then, you could go for one that doesn't grow very quickly to aid lowering summer cutting :clap:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
duncan1_9_8_4 said:
Having built my new concrete incline, i now want to lay turf on a slope to give the impression of a embankment. Will it grow ok on a slope with 5 inches of soil below it at its lowest depth?

Here in California it's OK to grow Grass as long as you have a Medical Cert. from your Dr.....................Oh sorry wrong Grass.................................

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
duncan1_9_8_4 said:

Here in California it's OK to grow Grass as long as you have a Medical Cert. from your Dr.....................Oh sorry wrong Grass.................................
2d13877047904b889d6e2e15653f6741.jpg

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
duncan1_9_8_4 said:

Should be fine. I used some parts of rolls of instant turf (a slow growing couch) leftover from my son's new lawn (it's his backyard) which was placed on my western embankment over 6 months ago. Although a lot died off because it was the end of summer and quite hot, it kept the embankment stable. Gradually it has been growing back and looks quite good. I have pulled faster growing weeds out of it but haven't had to trim or cut yet. As the weather is warming up now I will be interested to see how it goes. Though the depth of soil here is not a problem I don't think you should have any issues with 5" if the turf is kept moist and the soil is well drained. Have a go. You may be able to get some ends of rolls from an instant turf company for minimal cost or nothing?

1557f249b4df4e27a9b144b5a4ce4987.jpg

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
that looks great, slightly rough looking. cant wait to get the garden just tidied up now. i hate cement, so harsh.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The time will come as it did for a good friend of mine who also had grass as a scenic part of his layout. You could look at getting one of those small electrical strimmers. I think that this link will poit you to the sort of thing.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7301609.htm

JonD

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
too late now, i've done the grass, looks great. just need to buy a lgb truss bridge and loads of track now.