Graphite paste with railclamps? Opinions please?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I found the paste works really well outside to keep water out of gaps. As it freezes it causes things to push around at the joints making poor connections.

For a moment there I thought you were referring to the graphite paste freezing, and thought "wow, that's a HARSH winter!".... then I realised you meant the water.....! ;)

Jon.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying Jon. Sometimes the words don't match the picture in my mind. We'll call it an old age thing.;)

Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using a dollop of graphite paste in the "fishplate" with over-joiner Split-Jaw clamps. I figure it's cheap insurance. But none when using rail-end Split-Jaw clamps.

Phil S.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I use graphite grease with Massoth clamps. Does it work - don't know, but I'm happy.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have found clamps where I did not use grease, everything was shiny underneath.

I have found clamps where I did not use grease, and there was oxidation underneath

Grease is cheap.

Grease goes in my clamps and on the screw threads.

Cheap and easy insurance.

Greg

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all, the consensus seems to be that clamps are good, paste is good, so clamps plus paste are even better!
That's what I was always planning to do, just wondered if there were ANY potential down-sides to it - it appears not, from the responses so far, so I will stick with the original plan..... :)

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all, the consensus seems to be that clamps are good, paste is good, so clamps plus paste are even better!
That's what I was always planning to do, just wondered if there were ANY potential down-sides to it - it appears not, from the responses so far, so I will stick with the original plan..... :)

Jon.

And which plan would that be ? Plan A or plan B ? Or you could go with Plan 9 From Outer Space.....:rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
And which plan would that be ? Plan A or plan B ? Or you could go with Plan 9 From Outer Space.....:rofl:

"I love it when a plan comes together...."

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Marcel Geleijnse

Valvefreak
24 May 2016
Reading, UK
Best answers
There have been several threads recently about cleaning rail ends for tracklaying, all very interesting, and there seems to be a general consensus about using a drop of graphite paste, copper slip or similar when using fishplates for rail joining.... but do folks here still use it when replacing the fishplates with clamps?
Specifically Massoth type clamps in my case, but comments on others (Hillman type, Splitjaw etc, and Aristo track screws) are equally welcome....
Does some paste still help with maintaining good continuity even when you're getting a tight physical connection via the clamp?

Jon.

As most others said before, tight screwed connections will stay shiny.
I have a mix of fishplates and used conductive copper paste, sparingly, on the fish plates.
With some you find it is difficult to get it in one half of the fish plate as it's held in place by being punched locked to the track, a tiny brush comes in handy.
The grease conducts and keepsout the water that oxidizes the brass track.
You only need a tiny amount and keep if off the running surface of the track.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Hey your working on the joint .. It takes a sec to add some grease .
51010.jpg

I use it and think it's worth the effort ..:rock:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hey your working on the joint .. It takes a sec to add some grease .
51010.jpg

I use it and think it's worth the effort ..:rock:

Do you also use railclamps, Sean, or just rely on the joiners and paste?

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
These are pretty much identical to the Massoth clamps that I and many others over here are using, in fact they are probably all coming out of the same factory. So, returning to my original question at the start of this thread, you still use the paste/grease WITH the clamps?

Jon.
Yes

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Belt and suspenders

You REALLY don't want to say that over here, Greg - to the British it conjures up some strange images, some good, some not...... :rofl::rofl::rofl:
We say "Belt and braces", because to us "suspenders" are the things that ladies wear to keep their stockings up - what you guys would call a Garter Belt, I think..... it has been a source of much juvenile amusement and confusion over many decades...... ;)

Jon.

Reactions: 1 users