Grab bars or hand rails

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Quite by accident, I was looking at one of my 2090 diesels, or should I say my grandaughter Gianna`s 2090 diesel. It had two broken grab rails on the cab sides. I happened to look into a bin of Bachmann grab rails and noticed that the smaller ones looked like they might fit the LGB loco. They did need a bit of epoxy though, to keep them in place.

IMG_1495.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Please do not be offended by this, none intended.

I have a friend who is a bit heavy handed with whatever glue. My suggestion to him is put a little on some Card or Plasticard, then apply the Glue with a Cocktail Stick that has had a Flat Cut on it. Precise application with no overspill everytime.

Good find of replacement. Stuck into my memory box. I have a load of just these in my parts Box.
JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You picked up on that I see. No offense taken. Gianna's name plate is held on with hot glue, sometimes difficult to control. Yes, the epoxy on the grab rails shows up a bit too much in the photo. But from ten feet away my eyes don't notice it ::)

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Good find of replacement. Stuck into my memory box. I have a load of just these in my parts Box.
JonD

Me too. Of course, I spent a couple of evenings making some out of brass rod last week and didn't think of the parts box, but I will in future!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Spoz said:
Me too. Of course, I spent a couple of evenings making some out of brass rod last week and didn't think of the parts box, but I will in future!

Ain't that always the way. You spend 2 years scratch building a Loco for some nut to introduce a kit the day you show it off at the Club!
JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it's a competitive world out there. ???

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for some hand rails for LGB rolling stock. Are there multiple sizes that were used or just a couple? I have a flat car #4061 and of all the grab rails I have none fit width wise. I think all I do have are for USA trains. Does anyone have info on sizes and also where to buy the LGB ones to replace. Thanks

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ain't that always the way. You spend 2 years scratch building a Loco for some nut to introduce a kit the day you show it off at the Club!
JonD

A few years back, an acquaintance of mine in the Yokohama Live Steamers spent five years scratch-building a Gauge 1 'Duchess of Hamilton' with four cylinders and all the gubbins.

So this particular weekend we were all up at Susano track, and Tamada-san announced that Aster were about to bring their brand-new British outline, four cylinder LMS express locomotive to the next running session!!! Whoopeeee!!!

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A few years back, an acquaintance of mine in the Yokohama Live Steamers spent five years scratch-building a Gauge 1 'Duchess of Hamilton' with four cylinders and all the gubbins.

So this particualr weekend we were all up at Susano track, and Tamada-san announced that Aster were about to bring their brand-new British outline, four cylinder LMS express locomotive to the next running session!!! Whoopeeee!!!
But which is more satisfying?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for some hand rails for LGB rolling stock. Are there multiple sizes that were used or just a couple? I have a flat car #4061 and of all the grab rails I have none fit width wise. I think all I do have are for USA trains. Does anyone have info on sizes and also where to buy the LGB ones to replace. Thanks

I would bend them up out of brass (or other material) wire / fine-rod..
More resilient, and can be made to fit the individual loco..

PhilP.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a pic of some handrails that were included in a batch of misc. parts I bought for the switch lanterns on Ebay a couple of years ago. There is also at least one other length of the style on the left which I think are LGB and fit in round holes. The second pic of is of this longer diagonal handrail on a 4021. The two handrails on the right of the first pic fit in square body holes.

Handrails - 1.jpg Handrails - 1 _1_.jpg

Zman50 - If you could use some of the handrails in the first pic, send me a PM with your address and I'll stick them in mail gratis.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the offer Phil and the pictures with the ruler. These are the two sizes I have already. The size I need are 14/16" and 11/16".

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag

Here are some Websites here in the USA that carry LGB parts, but obviously not all parts are available for LGB locos no longer made......you just have to keep looking until you may find the part(s) you want either new or use:
1. eBay.com, Search LGB Parts;
2. OnlyTrains.com, Use Menu Parts, then Repair Parts;
3. TrainLi.com, Use Menu G Scale, Parts & Tools for LGB.
The two large scale retailers above will also special order parts for you from their suppliers in Germany. Another source is eBay.DE, Search lgb ersatzteile (LGB Parts), but the shipping can be a little expensive from Germany to the USA.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You picked up on that I see. No offense taken. Gianna's name plate is held on with hot glue, sometimes difficult to control. Yes, the epoxy on the grab rails shows up a bit too much in the photo. But from ten feet away my eyes don't notice it ::)
10 ft rule for garden railways :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Tom for the information. I will check those websites out for sure.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
As I build a lot of Fn3 cars of one kind or another, I use the brass grabirons from Phil Dipple - see Phils narrow gauge - Phil's Narrow Gauge

They are $12 for a pack of 36.
1582405188002.png
1582405213358.png

You'll nned to secure them with his CNC-machined square-head brass bolts, too -

1582405279038.png1582405301313.png

$15/100.

When you call him, tell him I sent you - we all look after each other in this business.

Here's a free-lance Fn3 combine I built using them exclusively -

1582405463537.png

1582405491780.png

1582405544113.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That my be true, but it also means I'm standing in next door but one's garden to be 10 feet away
Ah, but 'tis the hypotenuse - old pythagora's theorem
That my be true, but it also means I'm standing in next door but one's garden to be 10 feet away

Ah, but 'tis the hypotenuse - old pythagoras theorem, 3,4, 5 so double it up for a very approximate 6ft adult, standing about 8 ft away, so the viewing distance is 10ft.

That might just get you back into your own garden ;););)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, but 'tis the hypotenuse - old pythagora's theorem

Ah, but 'tis the hypotenuse - old pythagoras theorem, 3,4, 5 so double it up for a very approximate 6ft adult, standing about 8 ft away, so the viewing distance is 10ft.

That might just get you back into your own garden ;););)
That’s adjacent to the answer o_O

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
That’s adjacent to the answer o_O
I'm getting ready to do a long overdue project. Over the years I've accumulated literally thousands of somewhat useful "Answers", all looking for questions. How should I tackle this project, considering that I don't want to loose too many answers in the process ? Should I post this request in the "Help wanted" thread ?