Good supplier of miniature trees

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
I have some difficulty finding a reliable (online?)source for miniature plants and trees for my developing outdoor G scale layout. I have replanted a dozen or so 'box' trees (from a previous attempt at 0-16.5 which takes too much management)
Any suggestions for plant variety to increase interest would be very welcome!
Thanks in advance.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I've never used them myself but when this subject was raised on the 16mm group a few years ago this place in Honiton was recommended

http://www.east-devon-guide.com/bonsai.html

mind you, anything with the name 'bonsai' doesn't sound cheap. Might be worth giving them a phone call.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks for the suggestions - I should have mentioned the climate around here, moss does well!!!
St Clare Nursery looks very promising - will certainly give them another look.
Rob

E

Elmtree Line

Has anyone used St Clare Nursery? their prices look very reasonable :D

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thought I'd be brave and order a range of trees online from St Clare's but (unless it's a problem with Firefox) I can't add anything to a shopping cart. Have informed them of my problem - hope they don't want me to write an order and send a cheque :yawn:

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
robsmorgan said:
Thought I'd be brave and order a range of trees online from St Clare's but (unless it's a problem with Firefox) I can't add anything to a shopping cart. Have informed them of my problem - hope they don't want me to write an order and send a cheque :yawn:

Go to bottom of the page and click on Order Form link and yes, you have to print it out, write your details and requirements on it and send it to them with payment. Quaint but probably works very well. ;)

Ade

Edit - Looking further I noticed the page with the conifers on does not have 'Add to Cart' buttons (as some of the other pages have) so I understand Robs frustration. :impatient:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks Paul, I find the site strange by today's standard.... if you follow the pages through it does state that online buying is now possible.... select and add items via the 'add to cart' button that's why I though it might be my using Firefox instead of IE.... I haven't had any reply from them to my reported problem yesterday. Perhaps they are closed for the winter!?:confused: But I certainly find their prices attractive!!!

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
I Have heard back from St Giles, they are having problems with their PayPal links.... have emailed order for a representative range of dwarf trees. Will update soon.

They sound like a potentially good supplier which hasn't really made it into the internet age yet. There are thousands of decent businesses out there who struggle with e-shops, etc. I don't think we should be too hard on them.

I am planning to give them a try when I need some more miniature trees. Be interesting to see how it goes.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
When I first started my railway I bought a load of small box bushes. Larger box bushes always seem very expensive to me, but I took cuttings off some of these smaller bushes (after planting them), stuck them into some compost and about 75% of them "took". So I now have a large supply of box bushes that grow quite fast, especially if you give them a good trim every May.

The good thing about box is that it can be trimmed to any tree-like shape. The line of box "trees" are at the rear of the field in this picture;

7e6464b8529341428f0ac93d1e661ec6.jpg

As far as miniature conifers are concerned, my local garden centres and markets always seem to have some.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Yes, as I think I mentioned earlier, I used box on my previous 0-16.5 garden layout and have now transplanted them - What I didn't think of was to take cuttings! Thanks for that suggestion, 75% success would be great:clap:

Tried to paste an image into the message but failed..... must work that out!

Silly me... just had to scroll down to find the option!
This is how my line looked at Christmas, early days yet, no weathering on this Annie, but plenty of box trees!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
I used these guys for all my small trees and shrubs until they sprung the Pink Bungadu on me.

timebandits_468x275.jpg

600' tall, red and smelled terrible. Gave them the sack for it!

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
UPDATE

Thought I'd found that 'special' supplier for us with wives who like the scenery around our layouts to be pretty!

Kernock Park Plants nr. Saltash, Cornwall (01579 350561) sell all sorts of miniature plants: trees/ground cover for around £25 per tray of 100 plugs. Tried to order but the delivery was ludicrous at circa £35....so I enquired about personal collection (as I have a son living in their area) Unfortunately their reply was...

We do have a minimum order requirement of £100 for collection from the premises as we are wholesale only.
Unfortunately we are unable to supply the one tray. If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards
Donna Lugger

Still worth looking at their website & surplus list! http://www.kernock.co.uk/acatalog/Surplus_List_Form.html < Link To http://www.kernock.co.uk/...Surplus_List_Form.html

Just need to find someone locally who has a few fields to landscape!

Rob

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I might be of some help here. :clap:
I've grown Bonsai trees for over 20 years and to be honest, it's all a big con! OK, if you want a real Bonsai tree grown in the far east it will cost quite a few bob. But a visit to your local garden center will yield an enormous amount of 'material' to make small trees.

I'll start a new thread on 'how to do it' as soon as I can.

But for now, don't think dwarf, think small. Any cheap shrub (about £2.00 from my local centre) will stay small if the roots are in a container - and if the container is buried, it looks just like a small tree ;)

Watch this space.....

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
cant help with the trees but small plants are no problem.

http://www.alpinesandgrasses.co.uk/...nly option just have to email and ask)[/SIZE]

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thank you (Old) Tom
I don't know if bonsai trees would survive our climate here (unless I should gather them in at the end of the season?)

And thanks Wandgrdd, that looks like a useful address to follow up!

e7d45435e57e40118ce2f4702f8ecaa9.jpg

Attached a pic of my track/route taken today - very shady until summer months arrive

Regards
Rob

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
robsmorgan said:
Thank you (Old) Tom
I don't know if bonsai trees would survive our climate here (unless I should gather them in at the end of the season?)

And thanks Wandgrdd, that looks like a useful address to follow up!

images

Attached a pic of my track/route taken today - very shady until summer months arrive

Regards
Rob

Nice :clap:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
12 year old Acer note it's still in it's pot it's about 18in tall and get's severly pruned every year and the roots are cut to prevent it climbing out the pot! as long as the dogs don't eat it it will be fine for nother 100 years I suspect!

a1ea509b72ec49a6ae75af2e3e7d636d.jpg
a6d1b0cae413417b9e64d02313888ad7.jpg

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
You'd be amazed how they can survive Rob. All mine, except for the Olive, got through last winter even though we had snow for 3 weeks. My collection consists of Acer, Hornbeam, Larch (go on all you Python fans - say in a loud voice 'The Larch' :rofl: ), Maidenhair and Juniper. These are officially 'trees' but there are loads of shrubs that can survive our winter.

[Writes note to self - put together a 'How to make cheap small trees' essay and post it on the forum]

Honestly, you will be amazed how the little fellow's can survive.
Edit: That's a superb Acer you have there minimans, I'm jealous!