Country flag
The firemans not small either!

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Built for passenger service with those tall drivers. Beautiful engine. Didcot is on my list of places to visit in the UK in a few years when we can afford to travel overseas. I ran Titley Court for close to 40 min on a single fill of boiler water and fuel. I never pumped any water into the boiler, and I have about 1/4 glass left after shutting her down. The boiler is huge in this model. Mike the Aspie

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I sold the Aster Reno, going to concentrate on GWR for my garden line. I am starting the process of building an O gauge live steam/clockwork portable set up to take to shows. Our groups portable layout lacks 32mm track. I have a few pieces, mostly Bassett Lowke and ACE trains. One day, maybe next year, I will retrack the garden line with dual gauge track to allow running of O gauge on there as well. Depends how much vintage GWR stuff comes up at my favorite dealers in the UK and ebay when bonus check time arrives.

That said, I did steam up Titley Court today to do some fine tuning of my track. Got one end and both straight sections shimmed and any kinks in the curved area smoothed out. Hope to have the other half of my curve track soon, then its time to level the layout as one is is low and one is is high, nice down grade and up grade. A friend has a laser level that we will use to shim up the low side to get things close to level for smooth live steam opearation.
Mike the Aspie

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! BIG driver's!
6' 8 1/2", Churchward's standard for express passenger locos. Saints, Stars and Castles all had them. The Kings got 6' 6" to raise their nominal tractive effort for propaganda purposes.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I sold the Aster Reno, going to concentrate on GWR for my garden line. I am starting the process of building an O gauge live steam/clockwork portable set up to take to shows. Our groups portable layout lacks 32mm track. I have a few pieces, mostly Bassett Lowke and ACE trains. One day, maybe next year, I will retrack the garden line with dual gauge track to allow running of O gauge on there as well. Depends how much vintage GWR stuff comes up at my favorite dealers in the UK and ebay when bonus check time arrives.

That said, I did steam up Titley Court today to do some fine tuning of my track. Got one end and both straight sections shimmed and any kinks in the curved area smoothed out. Hope to have the other half of my curve track soon, then its time to level the layout as one is is low and one is is high, nice down grade and up grade. A friend has a laser level that we will use to shim up the low side to get things close to level for smooth live steam opearation.
Mike the Aspie

TPIUWP.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I dont do shorthand very well tac. That said, the final bits of track I need to complete the loop arrived today and got laid on the benchwork. I will work on leveling and fastening it down over the next few days. A friend is going to try to come over this Sunday to help level the layout as it does have a nice grade from one end to the other.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the only pic I have at the moment. The great part about having a fenced yard and ones own railway. I took these in my pajamas, and as soon as the news is over, I am going to steam Titley Court for her first trips around the whole line. I did some back and forth testing this past weekend to work out some track kinks on the curves closest to the camara. Mike the Aspie
railway.jpg

GWR-Titley-Court.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Often meant to ask you, what is the significance of the 'NT's' in your tagline?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Often meant to ask you, what is the significance of the 'NT's' in your tagline?

Oh! - I know this one! :)
NT = Neurologically Typical - a mild dig at those of us who are considered 'normal'.
In the UK, I believe we are referred to as 'Norms', by those we refer to as 'on the spectrum'?

A (mildly derogatory) pet-name, a little like 'Gricer'..
:nerd::)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I'VE got a sustificate to prove I'm normal, so there. :p

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nope, the County Firearms and Explosives Licensing Department told me. Twice.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose the difficulty is defining normal :confused:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Norfolk again.
Ah, well, 'Normal for Norfolk' was a medical term which inspired both a book, and an unrelated TV series.

As far as I know, the GP who coined the phrase has not received any royalties from either the book or the TV series :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

But, living in Norfolk, it's easier to be normal :D:D:D:D:D:D