Golden Glow LED's

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Can anyone shed any light on what these are? Oh pardon the pun....
Im told they are "the best for Trolley headlights"... Hmmmm warm white no good?? why not amber?
I'd just like to know what is soooooo good about these, cant find a listing on Ebay so they must be really very good......And while Im asking Im also told a big capacitor across the lighting circuit will stop leds flickering to some degree.....Comments? thoughts?

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Never heard of golden glow leds before, only warm white and yellow. A large capacitor across the lighting circuit will need to be carefully placed in the circuit as it will discharge to the traction motor as well as the lights, still causing flickering. Also larger capacitors are polarised, so travelling one way will be fine but will cause a loud pop and a lot of smoke when going the other. You may need a cap' per end light, with the direction diodes preventing discharge to the motor and protecting the cap' from backward voltage.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I used my daughter's nail varnishes to colour a white led. :D She has all different colours and shades, and after a bit of playing the colour was just right to replace the yellow bulbs in originally in the Sheoma. You may need to slightly rough the surface of the led to get the paint or vanish to actually 'take'.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Quality street toffe wrapper over the inside of the lamp glass for headlights, nice even tint, no brush marks showing bright streaks.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Ok so I'll stick to warm white they look almost incandescent....

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
When I was doing the lighting for Cockington Green I used warm white (incandescant) and bright white (fluro) leds. I liked the warm white but the boss liked the bright.
I bought mine from Topbright88 of evilbay using 15KmCd or 20KmCd.
Trev, if you get the chance go to on of CG's night opennings

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
yes i agree with the warm white
ive played with several kinds of LEDS, as well as toning LEDS and incan lamps with Tamaya clear yellow, orange and red-
tinting is actually rather tricky imho-its easy to over do-and yellow over cool white is almost but not quite right imho-tamaya is the best ive used because its clear and but for the blue , the colors are true and pure

the best thing imho is to get the right color
i can say ive used what i THINK might be 'golden glo' for an n scale engine-they are ever so slightly more yellow than warm white-they imitate headlights nicely-you can see a very slight difference-it looks more like the color of a large incan light bulb in a loco reflector-hard to articulate, almost like a very pale butter tint-i dont buy them any longer as ive found a great local source, all ready to wire with resistors and diodes etc and a far better price -the golden glos that i think i had came from a specialty train product electronics company -
an off the rack product at my hobby store-so they may be proprietary to a certain maker-the plastic around the emitter has a slight yellow tinge to it as i recall-they do look really convincing and are bright

one thing ive been playing with that id like to share, and not many i konw of use them
are Ultra violet LEds-these are light purple in color when lighted-they give a very modern flourescent effect
mostly due to the very modern color
-and look good in diners, shops, modern train stations etc
-they are also great for aiming at a wall clock face and making it appear back lighted,
i stuff mine in a tube (tucked under the stations eaves and not visible) and then adjust the beam focus -looks cool at night
and...for those of you that are glo in the dark paint using geeks like me..they will super charge the GID paint and give a strong glow when the light is turned off-i have , so far, painted the inside lamp shades of certain lamps and they look cool (if not realistic-more shostly) -and are completely undiscernable in daylight or when the LED is lighted

those cool bluish whites however really penetrate the dark

roughing the surface -esepecially with fine sand paper also has a great effect of diffusing the bulb a bit for a wider spread of light

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good tips Steve. I will definitely investigate the use of them in the diners.