Glue for LGB plastic.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all.
I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in the threads but can't find it. I need to stick a broken off axle box cover on to an LGB coach. Which would be the recommended tried and trusted adhesive?
Thanks for you time.
Trevor

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
You could try plumber's pipe weld solvent - worked for me in the past.

DougLN

NARROW GAUGE RAILWAYS
5 Jul 2010
DIDCOT,OXON
Best answers
Country flag
Some years ago I brought a LGB Railway Signs Kit from GRS, it came with a small tube of UHU greenit glue. How different from standard UHU glue I don't know. But it did work ok.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If you search for "glue" in the title of threads in the search window top right of the screen you will find many answers, one of the threads on the first page of results has exactly the same question you ask. It's all there somewhere.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all. I was probably too elaborate with my search question.
Trevor

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
What about that new glue that uses an ultra-violet light to cure ? It's supposed to be the latest and greatest. I think it's the same or very similar to what dentists use.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
What about that new glue that uses an ultra-violet light to cure ? It's supposed to be the latest and greatest. I think it's the same or very similar to what dentists use.
That's a good adhesive Dan, but for some reason it doesn't work on all LGB things. I've done a few repairs quite successfully except for a broken crank on one of my Mikados. Tried several times to fix it but it wouldn't hold even after clamping it for a couple of days to see if it would improve the 'setting'. Now resorting to using my finest drill bit on the two parts to accept a couple of thin steel strengthening pins forced fitted. I may heat them up first to melt the plastic onto the metal. I bought a tube of the recommended Lederer stuff, but it didn't appear much better than my very old tin of Evostik contact which has been in the garage for the best part of 15 years.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The one that I find works well is Hafix.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
3m 8061 automotive plastic trim cement. It is clear colored and really sticky.

---Hutch

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Again another of the silicon based clear glues, I use this in a number of application, Evo-stick Serious glue - 1 x Serious Glue 5g Super Strong Adhesive Evo-Stik 663671 new | eBay

If you cannot find a solvent based adhesive that works this will provide a reliable bond. I use it to plant driver/fireman figures in cabs and fixing name plates to cab/coach body sides. Works really well where there is a lot of flexing, oil ingress, heat and vibration. Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Part of the problem, is that LGB changed the plastic it used several years ago, so iy depends a little on the age of the model..

Technicoll 8008 - I got mine from Bertram Hayn (sp?)

This is very-like a conventional polystyrene cement, in texture, and the way it behaves. - Has a life of it's own as it comes out the tube, strings a little, quite smelly in use.. But I have had some success with it.
The problem is many parts deform as they break, so you do not get a 'tight' join, so super-glues / Powerbond, and the like do not work well. That, and the 'greasy' nature of the plastic, make for poor adhesion.

Many breaks, are parts which are stressed in some way, hence an ordinary glued-joint does not hold.

Others have reported success with 'real' Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone (MEK). - Not the concoctions sold for modellers, the real-stuff. - Smelly, and needs treating with care!

PhilP.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have used "Plastic Magic" to good effect on my LGB locos (old stainz, new diesel) it works well and I use its "wicking" characteristic to get a good bond between close fitting pieces of material..

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I have used Bostik's hard plastic glue and the Wilko's own brand equivalent, just labelled as 'Hard Plastic Glue'. I found I got the best results when I could clamp the parts together somehow, usually with a clothes peg. All on Modern(ish) LGB items, from pre Marklin times.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have used "Plastic Magic" to good effect on my LGB locos (old stainz, new diesel) it works well and I use its "wicking" characteristic to get a good bond between close fitting pieces of material..

This is one of the glues in my arsenal.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses. They make for some interesting reading. I'll go through them again before I commit. Very varied.
Trevor