Getting wheel slippage on my Bachmann 4-6-0 locomotive

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
How many ah are minimum for a G scale locomotive for any practical usage?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Impossible to answer, since every loco, layout, and engineer varies.

This is why I am asking a specific question, amp hours is amp hours. If you tell me what you have and if you are pleased with the run time, that helps.

Do you have any experience how long your loco runs on a full charge?

Greg

(where I am headed is put as small pack in the loco as gives you satisfaction for run times... any additional weight from larger than needed batteries is sort of wasted. The only desire you have communicated is to pull more cars.)

Last edited:

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
This was a secondary locomotive on my layout, but I see that my prime locomotive runs with 4.4 ah. I have this straight in my head now. Thanks, Jim

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
How many ah are minimum for a G scale locomotive for any practical usage?
Ok so I have a couple of TrainLine 45 Mallets, these have 2 motors and a DCC Sound chip in them. Both have 2.1 Mah batttery 12 pack NiMh 14.4 volts. I generally get 4-6 hours of continuous use out of both before a charge is required, even then the batteries are not fully discharged. I tend to give them a top up before running one of my Timetable Sessions so have never deliberately run them flat to see how long they last.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Industrial mogul is small and very light and will only pull 2 cars from what I have seen.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The Industrial mogul is small and very light and will only pull 2 cars from what I have seen.
I did increase the weight in mine, and it will pull 2 Bachmann JS coaches up 1:25 (4%) gradient.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I don’t know which version of the 4-6-0 you are running but I have two 12yr old Annie’s which on my level track can each pull 80axles. I haven’t tried them on gradients but when you bear in mind that they are effectively 2-4-0s because the middle drivers don’t touch the track some reduction in pulling abiility will be significant on gradients.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
is 80 axles 40 cars or 20 cars?

also it's the weight of the loco that controls the pulling ability in the most part given all other things equal... especially with the minimal/no suspension on our locos, fewer drivers usually means better wheel to rail contact.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
is 80 axles 40 cars or 20 cars?

also it's the weight of the loco that controls the pulling ability in the most part given all other things equal... especially with the minimal/no suspension on our locos, fewer drivers usually means better wheel to rail contact.
Depends if they are twin axle cars or bogie cars, or a mixture.