Getting rid of label sticky mess

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
I have just taken delivary of some LGB second hand rolling stock from GRS. It came unboxed and there is a price label on each wagon. Unfortunately these are not easy to remove and leave a nasty sticky residue behind however careful one is in gettting them off.

Some type of solvent is obviously needed to clean it all up but I am anxious not to damage the wagon itself.

Any one got any experience of this problem? Will white spirit do the job without damaging the plastic. At least they have not stuck it on any writing or painted area, but why do they have to use such awful labels? I doubt illicit swapping price tickets is a serious problem in Princess Risborough!

AC

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
There are definitely purpose made label removers available.
I have used them in the past, in a spray can from a stationery supplier.

The sad thing is, I can't remember the name or supplier.
Sorry!!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
In my experience white spirit will do no harm to the plastic, not sure about any paint finish, or try a little methalated spirit......No don't drink it!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Strange but true the best thing I have ever found for sticky labels (and tar spots on cars) is Zippo lighter fluid. I don't smoke but collect Zippos, and now have a can of fluid in each car and two for the café (one for stickiness, one for Zippo users out of fuel)! :clap:
Oops, should mention, put the fluid on with a rag and let it work for a few minutes, then wipe away, repeat if needed but do not use anything abrasive.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
You can get label removers from most major companies such as Rapid, RS, etc. The one in the workshop at the moment is "Label Off".
They all seem to work but most of mine gets used removing labels from SWMBOs shoes.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Well obviously there are priorities...:D

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
W.D.40 will remove it instantly.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a lemon to me :rofl:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Meths used here. Very unlikely to effect the plastic or paint finish.
I agree that lighter fluid is pretty good but I wonder if the solvent is stronger. White spirit can leave a white residue.
I guess WD40 would leave an oily residue that you cound remove with detergent or --- meths---.

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for all the sugestions

I will start with WD40 as I have it on the shelf and know it does no halm. If that doesn't work i will move on down the list

AC

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I use Meths on a cotton bud, I would personally stay clear of lighter fuel as this can remove the paint finish if your not quick enough.

Don't ask how I know this

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
If you are planning a repaint after getting the lable off I'd go for meths. WD-40 may, I suspect, leave an oily residue (even if wiped over) that would need a detergent wash to rermove before painting.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Lakeland make 'Sticky Stuff Remover', does what it says on the bottle. Its citrus based.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Code:
adverse camber said:
I have just taken delivary of some LGB second hand rolling stock from GRS. It came unboxed and there is a price label on each wagon. Unfortunately these are not easy to remove and leave a nasty sticky residue behind however careful one is in gettting them off.

Some type of solvent is obviously needed to clean it all up but I am anxious not to damage the wagon itself.

Any one got any experience of this problem? Will white spirit do the job without damaging the plastic. At least they have not stuck it on any writing or painted area, but why do they have to use such awful labels? I doubt illicit swapping price tickets is a serious problem in Princess Risborough!

AC

I know from when I was working as an engineer in the medical industry, that the stuff the nurses used to clean off the adhesive residue from plasters and dressings, was called 'Zoff'.

Works on the skin, but I can't comment on plastics and paint....

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
HEAVY BREATHING

It is true, if you can lift a slight edge of the label, then breath on it, then lift a bit more, and breath again, continue until label lifts.

Just make sure you are among friends or alone because you can get some strange looks from all that heavy breathing.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
Strange but true the best thing I have ever found for sticky labels (and tar spots on cars) is Zippo lighter fluid. I don't smoke but collect Zippos, and now have a can of fluid in each car and two for the café (one for stickiness, one for Zippo users out of fuel)! :clap:
Oops, should mention, put the fluid on with a rag and let it work for a few minutes, then wipe away, repeat if needed but do not use anything abrasive.

Mr pugwash is spot on, I have been using Lighter Fuel to remove labels for years. Got the tip from a former lady friend. Well they do have their uses. I have a tin in nearly every room as it is also such a useful cleaner as well. Plus it just evaporates as it is I believe petrol based. Cheep at around £1.00 per tin.
JonD

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
lighter fluid yes

meths no no no-
im my experiece 
it will leave a white residue-it may not be a residue at all, but worse, a change in the plastic-

the zippo leaves no residue that i have experienced nor does it affect paint 

meths does (at least it has for me-and the residue is quite bothersome to remove-i have had to use plastic polish and its still very stubborn

the key is to let it stand and let it creep under adn penetrate the paper to the glue

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
dragon said:
W.D.40 will remove it instantly.

Just been using WD40 on some plastic waste piping (non-railway), to remove store barcode labels.
Needed a minute or two for penetration, but works very well & any residue wiped off easily.
Thanks for the tip.