"Getting Hold of Her Water"

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Currently there is a "Steaming Around Britain" Magazine/Book out by a retired Southern fireman. It has lots of footplate stories and write ups of locomotives. I recomend it - I bought mine in Sainsburys, but think it's in Smiths too.

Anyway my question is this: in the context of climbing the Devon banks he talks of stopping her slipping before "she gets hold of her water and clamity ensues" so what does that mean???

Wasn't sure if this is live steam or full scale- but guessed people who may know this hang about in here.....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is probably referring to the loco 'Priming' in effect lifting water to the cylinders rather than steam. This can have disastrous effects on the full size thing as Water does not compress as steam does. hence cylinders can have the front blown off or even worse coupling rods can break, dig into the ballast and cause a derailment. Nasty.
JonD

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Ok- but why would slipping do this? Because of the sudden acceleration of the stroke rate I guess?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Heavy slipping on a bank cn cause vibration and subsequent surges in the water within the boiler. That could then cause the water to be lifted through the steam pickup pipe in the dome.
JonD

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I once witnessed a rebuilt Scot do exactly that hammering through Hellifield station in the 1950s.
It blew the front of the cylinder clean off and it ricochetted along the platform. Fortunately, I was on the other side the station building. I have never seen so much steam!
There was a post on GSM with photographs of a Southern (?) loco which suffered something similar only last year.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
deleted! :banghead:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The Peppercorn A2 "Blue Peter" infamously slipped and primed when leaving Durham on the 1st October 1994. One theory was that the priming prevented the driver closing the regulator, what is certain is that the uncontrolled slipping lasted for long enough for the locomotive to suffer major mechanical failure. Apparently both outside sets of valve gear were destroyed, the leading coupling rods were bent, all coupled wheel axle boxes were damaged and the left leading driving wheel moved on its axle.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Neil Robinson said:
The Peppercorn A2 "Blue Peter" infamously slipped and primed when leaving Durham on the 1st October 1994. One theory was that the priming prevented the driver closing the regulator, what is certain is that the uncontrolled slipping lasted for long enough for the locomotive to suffer major mechanical failure. Apparently both outside sets of valve gear were destroyed, the leading coupling rods were bent, all coupled wheel axle boxes were damaged and the left leading driving wheel moved on its axle.

Luckily they had one they had finished earlier.....................................................Get down Shep...................

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I would say that the huge increase in steam delivered by the boiler in a slip causes foaming of the water within the boiler. This occurs as the localised pressure reduction resultant from the high steam flow causes more bubbles of steam to form from the heating surfaces of the boiler, and travel violently to the surface of the water. The increase of bubbles increases the volume of water within the boiler - think like pouring a beer too fast.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
New Haven Neil said:
think like pouring a beer too fast.
No such thing, at least not when it's being poured down my neck :rofl:
Does priming only happen due to wheelslip or does it occur on other occasions? I must admit I had never heard of this until now.
And just how do you tell someone you just blew up their expensive engine? Ouch. :banghead::crying:

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
It can happen as a result of several things, having too high a water level in the boiler, the boiler being 'dirty' inside (that's why full size ones got washed out every 14 days or so, in the steam days - water treatment and blowdown of the resultant 'mud' nowadays makes it less frequent), slipping, opening the regulator wide suddenly......it's part of proper management of a boiler/engine.

I should think a driver and fireman would be 'on the carpet' to explain why such a thing did happen, if a cylinder cover blew off!! It may not have been their fault of course, if the loco was overdue a washout........

The recent occurence was to a Standard 5, I think, on the Mid-Hants? Not sure how it happened, but the whole cylinder casting broke, not just the studs holding the front cover on. Expensive.

Older slide valve (as opposed to piston valve) engines could get away with priming more, as the slide ('D') valve could be forced off it's face by the water pressure, whereas a piston valve can't be. Hence piston valve engines have relief valves (like a little safety valve) on both cylinder end covers, but these are small, and may not clear sufficient water to save damage.

Here endeth the lesson, sorry if I'm lecturing!

edit for sp.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Interesting question- I knew the answer as "priming" but I didn't know the answer to "why"- ta Neil & Neil!

Blue Peter's incident certainly demonstrates the power of a steam locomotive though- the forces involved to do that much damage must have been pretty big.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
New Haven Neil said:
Here endeth the lesson, sorry if I'm lecturing!
Not in the least, very interesting but thankfully not an everyday occurence.
I will no longer moan constantly for days when I drop a Stainz :impatient:

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
When Mallard did her world speed record of 126.4 mph she bent her coupling & connecting rods,probably through the sheer speed as probably did Blue Peter.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks Chaps! I tried to get the answer on the web - but this forum came good! In the context of the book the regulator gettin stuck open makes particular sense.

George

railways in general, mainly steam locos, i volunte
24 Oct 2009
Norwich, Norfolk (UK)
www.flickr.com
Best answers
the BR 4MT at the Mid Hants Railway (Watercress Line) blew the front of one of its cylinders off last year while hauling the first train of the day during a steam gala
fortuantly it didnt happen in a station and being early morning there wasnt many linesiders taking photos but the crew and peeps lining out the first few carriages got a massive shock when it went bang and got a facefull of cylinder foam stuff and steam...

ff2fc3833b724a75b77878831eb2c463.jpg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Ferrysteam said:
When Mallard did her world speed record of 126.4 mph she bent her coupling & connecting rods,probably through the sheer speed as probably did Blue Peter.

Gresley's conjugated motion which provided the valve events for all three cylinders from the two outside sets of valve gear wasn't perfect.
The middle cylinder tended to do more than its share of the work and this tendency grew worse with increasing speed and temperature, so Mallard's center big end overheated and suffered consequent damage on the record run.
The A4s were fitted with more substatial big ends with "stink bomb" overtemperature detectors and the valve setting altered to reduce the maximum cut off of the center cylinder's valves.

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yes Neil, quite correct, but I hesitate to mention the improved big end was of (shudder ) GWR design.....#choke#

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I remember reading a story that signalmen on the LNER main line could tell how long a loco had been used since last overhaul by how badly the three exhaust beats were out-of-true (syncopated?)

David