Gas Soldering Torch Recommendation ?

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hello All,
I am looking to get into brass scratch modelling (want to make a large scale model crane for layout/shelf).

I have been creating construction plans based upon a 3d model mock-up I have created. I am now in the process of looking to gather tools / materials needed for the construction.

One point I have come across is the need for a gas-soldering torch. I have seen various YouTube videos where it seems people just use a basic blowtorch but I was wondering if there were any "modeller" preferred devices?

I will probably have a few more questions as I progress :)

Thanks!

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Check with Ross - he has a useful little number available:clap:

Rob

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
It depends on how big the bits you are soldering and what type of solder. If you are just using solft solder you can use a plumbers blow torch the the bigger bits. I also have a mini palm size torch that gives a very small intense jet for small details and that only cost about £5. For soldering up sheet I prefer to use a large soldering iron; some people prefer the iron attachments you can by for blow torches but I have an industrial electric iron with a 1/2" bit which worked fine for me.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

As Ross says there is nothing to beat a BIG (60 - 80 watts) soldering iron, but they can be unwieldy things - I have one iots like a shovel, and when in use darned hot! . They will deal with any seam when you have 'tacked' it.

I have a Nimrod 'solderpro50' for such things as it is nice and small and thus easier to start a a job off. That has a soldering bit (the ones below are extras) a hot knife tip , a blowlamp, . a hot air tip, as well.

Check out NIMROD Europe, out on the web, they also do larger ones but with a 3mm half spherical and a 4mm straight bit you will be very happy to start with.

Why a monster electric iron - it heats up the brass quickly, allowing solder to flow fast, and helping to stop distortion of the (thin) brass .

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
I used this to build my Baldrig 16mm, as recounted in Garden rail 208-209.
They didn't use these pics though.
Also use the same torch later on the Swfit 16 Owain kit.
7b480cadc68943fc9774fd73d3993ed9.jpg

59c8c47b85b3486593cb40f79b3c7231.jpg

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reponses - I will look to invest in a smallish blow torch and a big electric soldering iron :)

Heres a rough picture of what I looking to construct (tower section of crane)

mickeytower.jpg

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
To hold the sheets together whilst soldering I used some mini model makers metal G cramps.

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
To hold the sheets together whilst soldering I used some mini model makers metal G cramps.
Good idea - ill add them to my shopping list :)

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Only tip I could add would be to either sweat it together or use solder paste... if you wish to sweat it proceed as follows melt a small amount of solder to each side of the joint you want to make, then allow to cool. You can cut all the bits to size and do this...
Then to assemble a small drop of flux to the solder and place the bits where you want them and touch with the flame of the torch. Allow the solder to melt then the joint is done.... same with solder paste, a small dob where you want the joint lay the parts together, touch with the flame and presto.... lay out the job on something heat proof ie a bit of millboard or a house brick....

I prefer to use these techniques when practicable as the joint is not touched and generally does not move as it tends to when you are trying to heat with an iron. Joints also tend to be a world neater too as the solder finds its own radius of "repose" rather that trying to run to the iron, yes the solder will tend to run toward the heat source....
One final point is to make sure the material where you want to solder is clean.... I use one of those "scotch brite" wheels in the dremel or a quick rub with straight steel wool......

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Cleaning the join is important although an active flux helps.

If you are going to leave outside soft solder may prove a bit week as the joints tend to go after a while although painting will help.