G scale transfers (or decals)

phishplatephan

Model Railways; W.R Diesel Hydraulics; American Ra
3 Dec 2009
Ruislip, West London
Best answers
Does anyone know a supplier in the UK (prefereably) of transfers/decals for G scale? I'm looking at getting Norfolk Southern Horse type transfers for an SD45 High Hood i just bought off E-bay. In fact any of the big hauliers will do; UP; CSX; NS; BNSF?

Ideally looking for water slide as a first choice, if not then rub on dry transfers.

Thanks,

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
If you want a set of microscale Norfolk Southern decals microscale has them but not with the horse head type. Microscalealso has CSX in the catalogue or if you wanted something specific Stan Cedarleaf in the US does good work.

Colin Stewart

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
The exchange rate did get a little better this last week.......but not a lot. What happened to th 5 bob dollar??? (age showing again):thinking:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
phishplatephan said:
Does anyone know a supplier in the UK (prefereably) of transfers/decals for G scale? I'm looking at getting Norfolk Southern Horse type transfers for an SD45 High Hood i just bought off E-bay. In fact any of the big hauliers will do; UP; CSX; NS; BNSF?

Ideally looking for water slide as a first choice, if not then rub on dry transfers.

Thanks,

Did you know that you can make your own using an Inkjet printer & special water-slide paper. You need to spray the transfer with a sealing clear lacquer after applying and drying. If you do a 'google' type search you should find the paper - white base or clear.

This isn't a sparkling example, but with a basic photo editing/text software package you can achieve pretty good results
(this was originally a White Pass tender)

090ce4bbb2664d1fbccfd17cbda89dec.jpg

Regards
Rob

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I like the laser decal paper. My ink jet ones always ran. You can get whites by using the clear decal paper, put on a background of your locomotive color. Paint the spot you want the white lettering to be, when you put the clear decal paper over it, where you had white in your design will be clear and the white underneath will show through. I've gotten my decals from Stan also and that is the best way to go, but sometimes I want to try it myself.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Lasers. Be careful. NOT ALL lasers will allow the laser paper through. Some have a couple of REALLY hot rollers in them and the LASER paper sticks to them! Tried it with my Brother HL4040CN. I was lucky, I got the stuck paper off after a while, battling to do it through a small square hole on the rear of the machine! NEVER put ordinary inkjet paper thro' a laser machine either. I still have laser paper here and am not going to try it again. I will dig out the inkjet from retirement (if it will work again after resting so long!) and use inkjet waterslide paper. There is a list of laser printers that WILL do the job kicking around on the web somewhere. I believe it is Lazertrans who have it.

However, I still think the best way, is to pay for someone who has the right gear to do the job for you. There are a couple in the UK who do it for aeromodellers in waterslide and very thin vinyl
Ross
That's worrying news about not using inkjet paper ina laser.
I have a Brother laser (not the HL4040CN) and have used inkjet paper in it for over 12months without a problem other than a couple of jams.
What is the problem?

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
ROSS said:
Lasers. Be careful. NOT ALL lasers will allow the laser paper through. Some have a couple of REALLY hot rollers in them and the LASER paper sticks to them! Tried it with my Brother HL4040CN. I was lucky, I got the stuck paper off after a while, battling to do it through a small square hole on the rear of the machine! NEVER put ordinary inkjet paper thro' a laser machine either. I still have laser paper here and am not going to try it again. I will dig out the inkjet from retirement (if it will work again after resting so long!) and use inkjet waterslide paper. There is a list of laser printers that WILL do the job kicking around on the web somewhere. I believe it is Lazertrans who have it.

However, I still think the best way, is to pay for someone who has the right gear to do the job for you. There are a couple in the UK who do it for aeromodellers in waterslide and very thin vinyl
Ross
That's worrying news about not using inkjet paper ina laser.
I have a Brother laser (not the HL4040CN) and have used inkjet paper in it for over 12months without a problem other than a couple of jams.
What is the problem?
Keith i think its laser decal paper thats ross is talking about so your ok:clap:

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I have used the ink jet Waterslide paper a few times. Bought mine via eBay quite sensibly priced and easy to use. You can incorporate pictures etc easily enough and I oversprayed with a matt spray....