DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David, I have built all the OcCre trams and fit them with LED lighting & USA trains Motor units and I run them automatically on an exhibition layout I built with a shuttle unit. Keith
Keith,

How do all the occre trams look scale wise, I wad previously told the occre trams weren't very accurate from a scale perspective.

I'll definitely get one occre model, as I said earlier to help see the best way to scratch build some trams, I'm just starting off in this larger scale so we'll need to see where things go.

David

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Keith,

How do all the occre trams look scale wise, I wad previously told the occre trams weren't very accurate from a scale perspective.

I'll definitely get one occre model, as I said earlier to help see the best way to scratch build some trams, I'm just starting off in this larger scale so we'll need to see where things go.

David
They're stated as being 1:24, which will be a bit small against LGB stock - given that LGB scales vary :oops: but they don't often come down to 1:24 for small stuff.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Keith,

David

Keep in mind these OcCre products are, unusually, of nearly all wooden construction, including items that you would expect to to be made of metal on the full sized prototype, like the chassis frame. This does result in a very light finished product, so you do not need a powerful motor to run them. A mix of laser cut sheet, ply, and different sizes and types of strip wood are used. The fitting of the laser cut parts relies on a hidden tab and slot construction. There are a limited number of small mazak castings for fittings like trolley gear and lamps and rolls of brass wire to produce items like grab handles from. I ditched most of that wire and got appropriate straight K&S wire to work with and fabricated replacements. The models go together well to provide a fine finished product and are well designed. There is no need to fettle laser cut parts to get them to fit, just the need to cut and bend the strip wood accurately as instructed. Instructions are step by step, pictoral, clear, consice and well laid out. They include templates for parts you will be fabricating from the strip wood. These kits have been on the market for some time and were good products from the get go.

Note - with curved body items, single and compound, like the end dashboards, will have to be made up from several sections of bonded, filled and shaped stripwood. Bodywork side "tumble homes" are acheived by bonding the supplied thin lasercut ply sheets to a frame. Decals supplied as printed simply on paper, in colour where required. My method there was to laminate the printed side with a thin clear self adhesive plastic sheet, the reverse with thin double sided tape for the full printed used area. Then I cut them out as required carefully with a scalpel blade. They look surprisingly good
when completed.

Pages from instruction sheet

20210314_164317.jpg

These kits are not for the fainthearted but will produce a fine looking model with a bit of time and patience. I cannot verify the scale accuracy but I would assume OcCre would use a common standard between products in this range. I like your idea of using a proprietary axle hung motor. I bought my kit some 15 years ago and fitted it with a USA Trains motor block. I had to cut an appature in the cabin floor for it to fit. It does not notice much as I clad the exposed part of the motor block with spare strip wood to match the tram's floor. I took me 9 years to summon up the courage (and a process of upskilling by building some simpler wood kits) to get round to building it, but it turned out nice. There is ample room and scope to add addition detailing, like working lights and passengers/crew. Having said that the detailing is very good with the standard kit. Max

Last edited:

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Keep in mind these OcCre products are, unusually, of nearly all wooden construction, including items that you would expect to to be made of metal on the full sized prototype, like the chassis frame. This does result in a very light finished product, so you do not need a powerful motor to run them. A mix of laser cut sheet, ply, and different sizes and types of strip wood are used. The fitting of the laser cut parts relies on a hidden tab and slot construction. There are a limited number of small mazak castings for fittings like trolley gear and lamps and rolls of brass wire to produce items like grab handles from. I ditched most of that wire and got appropriate straight K&S wire to work with and fabricated replacements. The models go together well to provide a fine finished product and are well designed. There is no need to fettle laser cut parts to get them to fit, just the need to cut and bend the strip wood accurately as instructed. Instructions are step by step, pictoral, clear, consice and well laid out. They include templates for parts you will be fabricating from the strip wood. These kits have been on the market for some time and were good products from the get go.

Note - with curved body items, single and compound, like the end dashboards, will have to be made up from several sections of bonded, filled and shaped stripwood. Bodywork side "tumble homes" are acheived by bonding the supplied thin lasercut ply sheets to a frame. Decals supplied as printed simply on paper, in colour where required. My method there was to laminate the printed side with a thin clear self adhesive plastic sheet, the reverse with thin double sided tape for the full printed used area. Then I cut them out as required carefully with a scalpel blade. They look surprisingly good
when completed.

Pages from instruction sheet

View attachment 282265

These kits are not for the fainthearted but will produce a fine looking model with a bit of time and patience. I cannot verify the scale accuracy but I would assume OcCre would use a common standard between products in this range. I like your idea of using a proprietary axle hung motor. I bought my kit some 15 years ago and fitted it with a USA Trains motor block. I had to cut an appature in the cabin floor for it to fit. It does not notice much as I clad the exposed part of the motor block with spare strip wood to match the tram's floor. I took me 9 years to summon up the courage (and a process of upskilling by building some simpler wood kits) to get round to building it, but it turned out nice. There is ample room and scope to add addition detailing, like working lights and passengers/crew. Having said that the detailing is very good with the standard kit. Max
I second this...
20210131_125659.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Plus they can be modified if you have a will. Modified to a doubke deck bogie steam tram trailer.
9270286D-FA44-49F4-8BD9-9E39F25A7DC4.jpeg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Regarding the OP's concern about OcCre's fidelity - Looking for pictures of the tram I built from the OcCre range, the Cebiles Madrid tram, proved difficult. The one grainy image I could find Google-Ergebnis für https://www.estateone.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/00-cibeles-1.jpg suggests the roof ends should be squared off, not rounded, and the celestory roof sections seem to be shallower. The picture shows the tram in the picture having an open sided trailer. An interesting add on. The problem where there is scant pictoral information is that they could have been rebuilt at some point to more closely resemble the model. Only access to OcCre's research material would tell.

I also found a ten year old build log of the same model posed next to the Bachmann closed tram. They look pretty much identical in width and height. Suggesting the Bachman product could be made to a similar scale. Max

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I think what's clear is that the Occre models depict the trams as they appear today, but in some cases their research was a little flawed.

Issues I've picked up have included a typo on the destination boards of the London tram, incorrect roof detail and door size on the Istanbul tram, plus quite a few compromises with body shape and underframe detail.

It's possible their tape measure is every bit as flexible as LGB's, but I don't have the research material to back up that conjecture.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
I have a simple way of thinking about curve radius: the radius must be at least ten times the track gauge.
Yes, I have used that rule of thumb when modelling ...... and for real in a full size Depot once too!

I was leafing through an old copy of Trolley Talk last night and an article on interurban freight trailers said that many interurban trailers from the mid-west of the USA had swing couplers to allow them to exercise trackage rights over streetcar lines to get to downtown terminals 'negotiating 35 foot city streetcar curves on the way'; just imagine a 43ft trailer negotiating a 90 degree 35 ft radius curve.........

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
I think what's clear is that the Occre models depict the trams as they appear today, but in some cases their research was a little flawed.

Issues I've picked up have included a typo on the destination boards of the London tram, incorrect roof detail and door size on the Istanbul tram, plus quite a few compromises with body shape and underframe detail.

It's possible their tape measure is every bit as flexible as LGB's, but I don't have the research material to back up that conjecture.
The Soller car is a bit ''broad in the beam'', but it's a lovely model

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, but what's that in mm ? How would it sit against 1:20 stock?
Err 10mm............ would it sit against 1;20 stock? you have to measure the car up and think what it scales out as

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Err 10mm............ would it sit against 1;20 stock? you have to measure the car up and think what it scales out as
1:20.3 stock measures out at around 135 mm wide - so what's the width of the Occre tram?

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to my wee test track, initially, what wire do others use for the overhead contact and catenary wire, I haven't yet decided what system I'll use but suspect it'll be a combination of styles crossing between pre 1960's European and Manx, now there's a mix mash.

David

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to my wee test track, initially, what wire do others use for the overhead contact and catenary wire, I haven't yet decided what system I'll use but suspect it'll be a combination of styles crossing between pre 1960's European and Manx, now there's a mix mash.

David
Responded to this elswhere.