DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, we have moved house and I now have two G scale trams r-t-r to get me started; tonight I have ordered some track so I guess that’s me started in G scale.

I have only ordered 5m of track to get me started, what would others suggest as a minimum curve radius for trams?

I haven’t even applied a power supply to either of the two models and i have purchased replacement 21E truck sides, I like my models to have a means of keeping all four wheels on the track and having the replacement truck sides will allow me to have a rocking axle at one end of the car, hopefully I won’t make a complete fubar of things.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
what would others suggest as a minimum curve radius for trams?

David
Go as large as your space allows - sure trams will go round tighter radii, but go large :nod: :nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Trams look fine on LGB R1 but my one concern is you say nowt about what Trams they are, if 4 wheelers then LGB R1 track and points are perfect. Even most of the Bogie cars by LGB and Backmann look and work fine on R1.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, I wasn't far off, I was thinking 700-750mm as minimum.
Completely agree, track radius should be as large as possible.

Now I have track ordered I need to set myself some parameters to work to, first project will be shelf based to get myself acquainted with this scale, so the minimum radius will need to apply. Something simple to start with.

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the G scale fold David. Trams are great fun and there are plenty of R-T-R models and lots of inspiration for building your favourite trams from schienenkönig schienenkönig amongst others.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the G scale fold David. Trams are great fun and there are plenty of R-T-R models and lots of inspiration for building your favourite trams from schienenkönig schienenkönig amongst others.
I have arrived at G scale by way of my interest in all things Manx, and an interest in the Bachmann models with a particular interest in improving them and using them as the basis to make representations of other trams. I my other big love is for the Ringhoffer cars, I don't know what it is but they have a big appeal for my taste in trams.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Curiosity got the better of me tonight, I'm guessing the yellow and green wires at each end go to the head lamp, blue to the motor and the two white wires at one end to internal lights.

The replacement truck side are a slightly different wheel base, but as I don't believe this is a true to any prototype model I'm happy with the compromise. Model wheels are 36.5mm dia, the new wheels will be 32mm dia, these models always look like they sit a bit too high on the rails so the slightly small wheels should work well.

It's a start in this scale.

David

20210308_195744.jpg

20210308_200638.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have arrived at G scale by way of my interest in all things Manx, and an interest in the Bachmann models with a particular interest in improving them and using them as the basis to make representations of other trams. I my other big love is for the Ringhoffer cars, I don't know what it is but they have a big appeal for my taste in trams.
Had a look at the Ringhoffer cars, the LGB semi enclosed end cars look a pretty close match. Just a remodel of the paint job, some slight cosmetic revisions and you would be pretty well set to go. And yes I think your assumptions re lighting are correct with the wiring.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What is r-t-r?

Edit: rear to rear?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What is r-t-r?

Edit: rear to rear?
Ready To Run..
A model that is 'ready to run' straight from the box.

As opposed to something that needs modification, or a kit..

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Had a look at the Ringhoffer cars, the LGB semi enclosed end cars look a pretty close match. Just a remodel of the paint job, some slight cosmetic revisions and you would be pretty well set to go. And yes I think your assumptions re lighting are correct with the wiring.
I've been looking at the LGB trams for the money they are selling for it's a bit steep for model bashing.
My thinking just now is to get one of the occre tram kits, see how it all goes together make some notes and scratch build the Ringhoffer cars probably to 1:24 scale and accept/use modellers license for the track gauge. On my last visit to Prague I spent a day in the museum measuring trams, strangely they didn't find my activities unusual and it got me an invite in to the back shed where the restoration is carried out.

I've only been looking at options properly for about three weeks so I am still information gathering.
The first bits of track arrive this week so after the weekend I will well on my way doing something, I'm just not sure where this new venture is going to take me but it will definitely involve trams, my wife already knows that without asking.

David

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
On my last visit to Prague I spent a day in the museum measuring trams, strangely they didn't find my activities unusual and it got me an invite in to the back shed where the restoration is carried out.
Well done! I need to remember this trick.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Well done! I need to remember this trick.
I was surprised how accommodating they were, they even let me have 5 minutes inside a tram on my own before it went out.

Liberec had at least one class of Ringhoffer and their line would have been narrow gauge at the time, so I have my justification.

Time I went back again.

David

Last edited:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I was surprised how accommodating they were, they even let me have 5 minutes inside a tram on my own before it went out.

David
Many years ago I visited the London Transport Museum at Covent Garden with my son. We climbed abort the Feltham tram that was open to the public and I stood in the driver's position. I commented that they had installed an effective sound system before we walked through the saloon to the other end only to discover a museum employee driving it as it was up on rollers! I had resisted temptation to operate any controls from the other end, probably just as well!

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Many years ago I visited the London Transport Museum at Covent Garden with my son. We climbed abort the Feltham tram that was open to the public and I stood in the driver's position. I commented that they had installed an effective sound system before we walked through the saloon to the other end only to discover a museum employee driving it as it was up on rollers! I had resisted temptation to operate any controls from the other end, probably just as well!
Neil,

You shouldn't be able to drive a tram from both ends at the same time unless someone has a second key (not the correct name). Although I've taken lessons I can't remember all the names and terms for things. Once we get through this pandemic I'll need to get back to my lessons.

I've decided to try locoremote system to control things.

David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
The first few lengths of track arrived today so there was only one left to do, play.

I now have the modelling room track plan finalised in my head, all I need to do now is get some boards .

David

Reactions: 1 users

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The first few lengths of track arrived today so there was only one left to do, play.

I now have the modelling room track plan finalised in my head, all I need to do now is get some boards .

David
No you never"play" it is always "test". Its like when you repaint the buffer you need to test that the extra weight has not unbalanced anything!!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Of course, you do realise once you have track you can use, the work output nose-dives? ;)

Beware of running track across light-coloured carpets!
You can get nasty black deposits, which are impossible to get out.. :eek:

Enjoy!

PhilP