G Scale buildings

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone 3D print any buildings etc.? I'm just starting to build my railway and want to try and print some basic buildings to use on it - maybe a small station building, trackside hut etc. nothing too elaborate or complicated and preferably USA style. Having trouble finding designs online, so any pointers as to where I might find some would be very welcome. Or, maybe, most Gscale buildings are just too large to fit the average 3D printer?

G.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Something from this selection may be of use to tinker with and modify......

Reactions: 1 user

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that - hadn't seen most of those before. I can find plenty of suitable buildings in smaller scales, but they just won't fit my printer's build plate when scaled up to G scale. Methinks a larger printer is on the cards!

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I think that that the problem you have identified - the size of the printer bed needed ( unless you substantially re-engineer the structure) and the time and cost premiums of printing to a larger size and at a resolution that is adequate might be prohibitive in cost terms alone.

Perhaps a more traditional styrene "weatherproof" kit with weathered finish might be a better option. Pola make a range of structures that are US themed under the generic banner of "Silverton.....", that includes a station building that is staple of many layouts - Pola 330850 Silverton American Station Building G Scale at TopSlots Piko do similar US outline range that includes the Durango water tower. To save money sometimes you can find them on Ebay 2nd hand, pre weathered, so to speak. They are all really robust and suited to outdoor use.

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
I had been kinda hopeful that someone might have produced some kits that you can print by now - you know, print whatever fits on your build plate until it's all done, but I've found nothing like that yet. I can't help feeling there's a niche to be filled here, though I'm not the one to do it!

Yeah, I've been looking at the Pola and Piko buildings, but they're certainly not cheap! I'll set up a couple of searches on Ebay to keep an eye open for me.

Thanks for the suggestions

Gordon

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A Bigger Printer won't nessaceary help, It's not very practcable to print a whole building in one go in G scale no mater how big your printer is, you would need a hell of a lot of supports or a semi solid building and use a lot of filament. The best thing is to learn to split files or draw your own files. You could also just use the printer to print parts for buildings like windows doors etc. which is a great use for it. I have printed some large structures but none were printed all in one, they were made up of conponents that fit together.

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
Another option is just "scratch building" something using 3D printed panels. You can find sheets or walls of stone/brick/wood...etc. that can be scaled up. Trim them in a 3D editor program to fit your build plate, and just print a handfull of them. Then just use a exacto to trim them down/cut holes for doors/windows..etc. Basically, use the 3D printer to make the "stock" for your build, and go from there.

I've been considering trying to scale up some models I used to use/build in my HO modeling days (think DPM and Durango Press). Maybe if I can get some good storefronts designed, I'll come up with some kits to market...

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
I've been (slowly) printing the signalman's shack off Thingaverse using ABS. It's a long process (trying to do a finer print) and I'd probably need to figure out something quicker in the future. So far, it's looking like a kit of parts..

Photo Aug 19, 9 21 11 AM.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that - hadn't seen most of those before. I can find plenty of suitable buildings in smaller scales, but they just won't fit my printer's build plate when scaled up to G scale. Methinks a larger printer is on the cards!
Hi Gtarling,
You do not need a large 3d print plate when you use the 3d printer only for the small parts.
Recently a ran into the Auhagen Demo.
Look at:

This website shows train buildings on H0 scale that one can build based on a number of basic shapes.
They have a free database with drawings of the basic parts of a lot of industrial train buildings like loco barns etc. and the idea is that one downloads these basic parts drawings for free , print them at home on paper an cut the different pieces of the building and glue them on stiff paper or board and build the building made from this board as a check for the final shape of the building.
Once you are finished with this "model building design stage" you know how many of the different basic shapes you need for the final real plastic building and you order these parts. So their bussiness model is the selling of the plastic parts, all the drawings are for free !

Now that gives us LGB drivers the possibility to down load the drawings, next blow them up from H) scale to G scale and use them to cut the necessary walls , windows and roofs out of plastic plate material. All small details on the walls, doors, windows can be measured from the scaled up drawings and designed in the 3D printing process.

So you do not have to print the whole wall or roof. As for the windows, 3d printing of a glass window is not possible because the glass will be not be throughvisible caused by the different thin layers of plastic that never melt together as a whole plastic body. So the use of separate glass winows is allways neccessary and thus the use of two separate halves of a small windowframe.

I am planing to use this method. For that i bought myself a small nano-3d printer mark: VERTEX NANO 3D PRINTER KIT from VELLEMAN costs €90
My first project will be making windows in my LGB ICE TRAIN. Next i will try to build a large station hall using the drawings of AUHAGEN.

Kind Regards
Gerard van der Schrieck
Aerdenhout/Holland

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Gtarling,
I must admit that i was too early in calling the fame for this AUHAGEN website. Their drawings appear to be most not straight view from the front but oblique view, so helas they can't be used directly as a building drawing.