Fruit D lookalike

A

Alec K

Awaiting the arrival of the various Plastruct sections I need to complete my footbridge (and Mark II token exchange platform), I decided to take my courage and razor saw to hand to tackle a Newqida box van I purchased a couple of years ago. The inspiration for this is the step-by-step account given, and still available, on this forum by Miamigo 259 of his work to convert the Newqida vehicle to an Argentine ventilated van. Without that level of guidance, I would not have proceeded. Thank you, Stephen.
f8a08ecdb49646bc982c4606175f68c0.jpg

Stephen's first step was to remove the balcony end of the chassis with an additional allowance for a replacement buffer beam. I laminated the latter from two pieces of 80 thou Plasticard, having first cut out the socket for the central buffer and drilled two holes for the vac pipe. All the various fittings from the balcony have been retained for future use. I had already upgraded the chassis with metal wheelsets.
66940fac88e5471b864916c50549972d.jpg

Stephen worked from a good prototype picture. Having downloaded a number of pictures of mainly pregrouping British examples, I wasn't entirely happy with the idea of using any of these as the basis for a much longer vehicle. That was until the 'Fruit D' vision came to me! The configuration of Stephen's modification seems to me at least to be entirely 'right' for this GWR vehicle.
I followed to the letter the guidance on removing the 4 side ventilator mouldings from the donor van, and then carefully sawed the roof to length. Four end ventilator hoods have been made from Plasticard, together with four infill pieces scribed to match the timber mouldings. The characteristic external angle irons are being added to the body, and all these are made up from individual 2mm and 4mm strips of Plasticard cut individually and welded together. Because the door arrangements on the donor vehicle and the real 'Fruit Ds' are completely different, all I can hope to capture is the essence of the latter. I have added overlays to both Newqida doors to reflect the strapping and corner plates found on the plywood box vans equipped with sliding doors. Another compromise!

There's a great deal to do yet. I need to cut and make a lot more strapping, add roof ventilators, lamp brackets, and mask ready for painting and reassembly. I'm tempted to finish the 'Fruit D lookalike' in the BR passenger red livery so that it reminds me of the Hornby Dublo version I owned far too many years ago.

All the best

Alec K

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Glad my original article was of use!

Will be interested to see how your conversion works out - I've still got my Hornby Dublo Fruit D.............

A

Alec K

Thanks, Mel and Stephen - still cutting strapping here! I did escape this morning and bought the primers and top coats for all the outstanding jobs in the Works at present. More later.

All the very best

Alec K

A

Alec K

Further progress in the C and W shed.
b09fbb2b042f449890a4942d6353bcec.jpg

All of the Plasticard strapping has been completed, and lamp brackets and wagon label clips have been attached. The latter are made from small rectangles of Plasticard with fine brass wire bent to a u-shape and glued in pre-drilled holes. The lamp brackets are a Brandbright product.

The interior floor and the exterior handrails and door catches were masked off before spraying with two coats of Halfords Red Oxide plastic primer. The nearest match I could find in the Halfords range to BR Passenger Maroon was Volkswagen 'Tornado Red' (with apologies to Woderwick). I think a test spray is called for here as I want this to vehicle to look authentic - even if the door configuration is completely wrong, etc etc.

Kind regards all, and a Happy New Year.

Alec K

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work so far Alec; looking forward to seeing it completed....

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very good Alec. I like the idea of capturing the 'feel' of the prototype and you're certainly doing that. Many thanks fir the blow by blow account. I can see me following your lead - imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that......

A

Alec K

Gizzy, Martino - thank you, both!

It was Miamigo whose original thread alerted me to the possibilities, and all I've really done is to work from there. I've done a little more work this evening after looking at another set of pictures on Paul Bartlett's excellent site: Fruit Ds certainly seem to have survived into the Corporate Blue era on BR in fair numbers, although many by this time were Departmental vehicles carrying a range of alterations. I suspect their high-speed running and higher load capabilities may have extended their usefulness. Anyway, I remember them best in their strawberry and daffodil days....

I have discovered that one end of the Fruit D van carried the external vacuum brake valve control running across the end around 3' to 4' above the buffer beam - I've seen this on older passenger coaches - and so I have made this fitting up from flattened brass wire and Plasticard, along with a works plate whose significance is lost to me. This plate is cast metal, white figures on a black background, probably around 12" by 4" in size, and carrying the following inscription:

12 AXC

Does anyone know what this means?

More photographs and a progress report after the C and W folk (me) have completed their next shift.

All the best

Alec K

A

Alec K

Top coats have been applied to the van body of the 'Fruit D' lookalike, and details added and painted as per the Paul Bartlett photo archive:
b0ba674e45a5407ab658e1e5e840135c.jpg

The actual colour, Halfords VW Tornado Red, is a little darker than this picture may suggest, and I hope pretty close to early BR passenger maroon. If I can get hold of a fine enough brush, I'll add white markings to the vacuum release valve cover on the right-hand side of the end of the vehicle, in line with the prototype picture I have been working from.

I am still awaiting delivery of coach roof ventilators from GRS, before I drill and fix them to the shortened roof and paint the assembly with grey primer. A little more to do yet, then. Assuming that I can source another donor vehicle, I've discovered that the GWR 'Mink D' general goods covered van would make a good conversion, although this time I would need more drastic work with the door structures.

Alec K

[attachment deleted by admin]

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Looking good Alec, loving your work!

A

Alec K

Many thanks, Neil, encouragement is very welcome! Good to see that you are around and I trust, recovering. I'm still wondering what the cast plate on the upper left of the van end actually signifies: I've copied it as I best I can from the Paul Bartlett picture but as to its meaning....

Best regards

Alec K

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
No idea I'm afraid, and I don't know any GWR types now.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think it might be something to do with the speed that it can be used in service. Is the X a GW way of denoting an Express train, whereas BR used markings like XP etc on some goods vehicles to denote they could be conveyed in passsenger services (The Airfix/Dapol OO meat van has such markings)

You need someone who likes the GWR to answer that one, but I'm not a fan of the "Brown Region" as someone used to memorably describe it!

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
12 X means it was a 12ton vent meat van all GWR rolling stock had codes that were easy to transmit over telegraph
12 ton vans were brought in in 1920s X was for meat, Y was fruit, Z Gunpowder etc, all class's had a code from A-Z

Tony

[UL][*]A ? Articulated wagons for boilers, etc.[*]B ? Armour plate wagons, etc.[*]C ? Boiler trucks[*]D ? Plate glass wagons[*]E ? Wheel and propeller wagons[*]F ? Steam roller trucks[*]G ? Motor car trucks[*]H ? Flat wagons[*]J ? Rail and timber wagons[*]K ? Crane testing wagons[*]L ? Match trucks[*]M ? Shunters trucks[*]N ? Coal and mineral wagons[*]O ? Open merchandise wagons[*]P ? Ballast and sand wagons [/UL] [UL][*]Q ? Provender wagons[*]R ? Manure wagons[*]S ? Fish wagons[*]T ? Permanent way wagons[*]U ? Stone wagons[*]V ? Covered goods vans[*]W ? Cattle trucks[*]X ? Meat vans[*]Y ? Fruit vans[*]Z ? Gunpowder vans[*]AA ? Brake vans[*]BB ? Stores vans[*]CC ? Tool and workshop vans[*]DD ? Tank wagons[*]EE ? Flat wagons for tanks[*]FF ? Trestle plate wagons [/UL]

A

Alec K

Ah!

Thanks to NHN, Miamigo 259 and Tony for considering this issue - and now I have an answer. The only end-on view of a Fruit D I could find in the Paul Bartlett collections shows a vehicle with the plate in question. This must mean (thanks, Miamigo and Tony) that it was a GWR-built version. BR also constructed more to the same diagram. A side view of this particular van (and all of them in the same photo collection) shows them carrying a BR XP designation and a variety of running numbers, with the lower numbering presumably indicating a GWR-origin vehicle.

Tony has persuaded me to look again under screen magnification at that blessed plate to try to capture the two small letters either side of the big 'X'. However, when I've tried to do this previously, the resolution needed to decipher the letters vanishes. Frustrating....

At the risk, if not the reality, of being really boring, the actual Fruit D wheelbase is 2' longer than the scale Newqida van. I suspect the same will be true for the 'Mica D'. Further compromise, but, hey, as long as the altered version has a GW 'look' to it, I can live with that.

Thank you, one and all, for resolving the plate query.

Very best wishes

Alec K

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A

Alec K

Thanks, Tony, that's quite a resource and I have bookmarked it. I now understand the evolution of the 'Mink' vehicles - the Mink D simply seems to be an inflated 10T ventilated van, although it clearly spun off variants like the Fruit D with its additional roof ventilation.

Regards,

Alec K

A

Alec K

993feee9ba8c459bab05622303c5159d.jpg

Apart from the transfers - on order from Chris Moxham - the Fruit D lookalike is finished. The roof, with GRS shell ventilators, is actually mid-grey in colour, although it hasn't rendered too well in the pictures. The two Newqida coupling shank extensions have been removed, and the moulding pips on the axle carriers that can cause them to swivel unevenly have been sanded down.
3a892e1311d442f09e07f6ad6b5f73ed.jpg

I haven't attempted to replicate the Churchward brake rigging of the prototype, but I may well do so on the Mink D/G project that is somewhere in my head at present.

All the best

Alec K

[attachment deleted by admin]

A

Alec K

Another bad photo, but, thanks to Chris Moxham, the 'Fruit D' is finished:
d629ccee41bf45068abd669323a9deb1.jpg

The right-hand decal isn't exactly prototypical, but, hey, neither is the model.
I'll try to consolidate this thread and the footbridge one in a single picture, in daylight, taken with a decent lens, at some point in the near future. In the meantime, thanks for reading and for the encouragement!

Kind regards

Alec K

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
There ain't no stoppin' you Alec! Yet another fine project.