FROZEN POINTS

Clive

Drama - acting, Woodwork, G Scale, railways
22 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
[BLOCKQUOTE] I know, it happens on Network Rail, but they can get out their blow torches and unfreeze their points. I am getting severe withdrawal symptoms from not being able to operate due to frozen points. All my passing loops are spring loaded! Antifreeze clogs up the points with slush then re-freezes, WD40 has no effect. Any proven suggestions please from anyone. Thank you in advance. Someone is always there ready to pass on their advice. Wonderful.
[/BLOCKQUOTE]

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Warm water works for me provided it can drain away before it re-freezes.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
warm water, get them set to give you the path you want and let them freeze back - you can at least run something. I read an article in garden rail about a mat that goes under the points and keeps them above freezing, running off track power! I guess worthwhile if you live in colarado...

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would guess that to work best they need to be dry (no moisture to freeze) so a hairdryer is probably the best bet.

Keeping them dry is another matter, an old tile or similar maybe. If you can keep the worst of any new snow off, a quick whizz over with the dryer should get you going in no time.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Put kettle on, make yourself a brew, add a bit of cold water to kettle (so that waters not at boiling temp) pour on points blades, enjoy tea............:clap:

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I always leave points set for the main line. If they are sprung, reset them to the main line. Any force used when defrosting them can cause damage.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Woderwick said:
Hair drier, it wont refreeze then. Hopefully

Probably need an electric paint stipper here, it's so ch-ch-chilly. :D

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Try not to use anti freeze, some types can be quite corrosive to plastics, as can WD40. The hairdryer method is one of the best, but get your own, swmbo will not be happy to see you with her dryer in the garden. :happy: Also, try a tiny amount of vaseline on the blades, I put it around the door rubbers on the car so the doors don't freeze shut in the winter.

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I dont run siding etc... during the winter. I just have everything set for the main line. That way I dont have to worry about frozen switches. Any ice that gets into the frogs I just use my warm breath and blow on them.

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
552a57845a11478b9bae0011fe297c58.jpg
:clap:

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
Warm water will quickly get you in trouble as ice=frozen water and adding more water you tend to end up with more ice.
If you have to use water have it in a plastic bag so that the heating effect is still there, but the rails remain dry.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
That sounds an excellent idea!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Ideal if you are a long distance from an electric socket point.

A hot water bottle would do the job just as well.
Edit:-I would have labelled this as "Helpful" but there is no button on this thread, does anyone know why???

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
bobg said:
Edit:-I would have labelled this as "Helpful" but there is no button on this thread, does anyone know why???

Every posting I can see has a "mark post as helpful" option underneath it. Anyhow, I've marked Rune's post as helpful for you.

The hot water bottle idea is very neat. Ta muchly!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
whatlep said:
bobg said:

Every posting I can see has a "mark post as helpful" option underneath it. Anyhow, I've marked Rune's post as helpful for you.

Ta muchly also. I'm showing no "Helpful" buttons on any posts of this thread. Odd!!!

Not the first time I've come across that though.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I hate the cold weather:thumbdown:

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
In the Garden Railways Magazine last year they did a review on a heated pad that slides under the point and is powered from the track can't remember the make .

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
whatlep said:
bobg said:

Ta muchly also. I'm showing no "Helpful" buttons on any posts of this thread. Odd!!!

Not the first time I've come across that though.

I've never seen a helpful button either, but Whatlep's view of the forum, as a moderator would be different to the members'.