Freelance Tram

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Melbournesparks, is that a Hartland?

This one is an LGB model (20390) of a Swiss RhB ABe 4/4 railcar. You might be thinking of the Hartland interurban, which is based on US interurban railcars though I don't think it represents any particular prototype.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
That would have been my next guess. In its full red, it contrasts nicely with its surroundings.

Last edited:

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Some progress with the chassis now completed and today the mind numbing filing of the glazing. Now I need to get cracking and apply the rest of the paint scheme.

tramma.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I am slowly progressing this model, however, watching paint dry is very time consuming. Once the cream paint has cured then I can progress painting the roof (probably in silver).

ttrama.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I am slowly progressing this model, however, watching paint dry is very time consuming. Once the cream paint has cured then I can progress painting the roof (probably in silver).

View attachment 222304

I've always fancied bashing a couple of the B'mann coaches into a two-car set (US Interurban). I have what I need - and now inspired by your superb bashes - just need to ask what glue you used?

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mick,
for the later Bachmann coach releases ordinary quality styrene glue works perfectly. For early coaches from the 1990's I have a suspicion that they are not glue friendly styrene as I remember problems with glued joins not adhering correctly even though well reinforced. Perhaps they are an ABS compound. If you have early coaches then perhaps experiment with styrene glue.

For all my recent bashes (numerous others in a state of limbo remain 'undiscovered') I used the mid-2000's release Big Hauler coach kits as they are unpainted and glue friendly. I get an idea in my head and feel the need to build it. Once the construction stage is done then boredom sets in. At present I am painting two D&RGW coaches (Combine #127 and RPO #340 at scale length). I built these about five years ago and felt guilty seeing them on a shelf unloved.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick,
for the later Bachmann coach releases ordinary quality styrene glue works perfectly. For early coaches from the 1990's I have a suspicion that they are not glue friendly styrene as I remember problems with glued joins not adhering correctly even though well reinforced. Perhaps they are an ABS compound. If you have early coaches then perhaps experiment with styrene glue.

For all my recent bashes (numerous others in a state of limbo remain 'undiscovered') I used the mid-2000's release Big Hauler coach kits as they are unpainted and glue friendly. I get an idea in my head and feel the need to build it. Once the construction stage is done then boredom sets in. At present I am painting two D&RGW coaches (Combine #127 and RPO #340 at scale length). I built these about five years ago and felt guilty seeing them on a shelf unloved.

Thanks Tim. The donor coaches were acquired from that well know auction site so are indeterminate as regards to their age (probably the 'unfriendly' type of plastic!). I'll have to experiment! They won't be lengthened but I like the idea of moving the bulkheads 'in' to create a wider platform.

I look forward to your prototypical length coaches!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mick,
be careful as it can become addictive.

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
I have never seen a trolley pole sprung in the same way as yours Tim, but then neither have I seen that many either!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
After an almost four month hiatus the tram is slowly back on track. For some reason I shied away from painting the roof and sought to finish off a couple of locomotives, plus paint fifteen extended coaches to help distract me. Once a colour was finally chosen, I decided to bite the bullet and get on with it. No doubt I will find other excuses for not progressing this project but at least some progress has been made. The colour chosen resembles that used on Sydney trams back in the 1950's/60's. By coincidence and not by design, my tram has some semblance to our now long gone trams.

tramza.JPG tramzb.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I have never seen a trolley pole sprung in the same way as yours Tim, but then neither have I seen that many either!

Andrew,
I have not visited this thread for some months and did not see your comment until now. My mechanism is pure imagination and was simply a model way to demonstrate a method of having an articulated pole. It was not intended to replicate a prototype design.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Things are now moving. Tram is decalled and clearcoated. I will be able to install glazing and lighting over the next few days. Final assembly is delayed as I have just ordered some seated passengers from China and this may take from one to three weeks to arrive.

ztramza.JPG ztramzb.JPG

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Things are now moving. Tram is decalled and clearcoated. I will be able to install glazing and lighting over the next few days. Final assembly is delayed as I have just ordered some seated passengers from China and this may take from one to three weeks to arrive.

View attachment 226205 View attachment 226206

Nice work! The decals are the icing on the cake - are they waterslide?

Also, where do you obtain them?

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mick,
yes, waterslide. I had them made about ten years ago by Stan Cedarleaf in the U.S. He makes custom decals (waterslide).

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick,
yes, waterslide. I had them made about ten years ago by Stan Cedarleaf in the U.S. He makes custom decals (waterslide).

Thanks Tim - they sure look good!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Tim, that's a pretty impressive piece of modelling you've done there!
I'm sorry to have to ask a somewhat daft question, but in picture #1 in the background there's a engine and Coach combination, is that another kitbash or a standard LGB. Model?

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Paul,
the model in the first post in this thread is a personal "creation" combining a Stainz and two starter set coaches. The coaches were attached to a single lengthened chassis with one rear bogie and articulated to a shortened Stainz locomotive.

This thread has the build photographs -

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/another-articulated-folly.285775/

Last edited:

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Well, I did have serious doubts that this project would ever be completed. Now flushed with fare paying passengers, this tram will finally start returning some income.

tramzza.JPG tramzzb.JPG tramzzc.JPG tramzzd.JPG

Reactions: 4 users