(FO/MGB) Tm 2/2 Schoema Locomotive (Upgrading/Bashing the LGB Model)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Parkdesigner Parkdesigner did finish this project? Would love to see a picture of the finished article. Thanks, Dave

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Los Angeles, CA / Derbyshire, UK / Frankfurt, DE
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,

Unfortunately progress stalled as of the last update. After several unanswered emails to the photo-etcher that was going to make my builder plates, I finally received a note for them saying they were too busy to process the order (placed serval months earlier!) and that they might be able to get to it in 2020! :disrelieved: I know it's just one little detail, but failing to have that order filled for almost half a year really took the wind out of my sails on the project as I waited to gather all the pieces for "one last push!"

As such, I assembled the parts on-hand and placed her on the shelf, turning attention to other projects that I had all the pieces I need to complete.

As it stands, other than placing new glass in the cab and reinstalling the wipers and roof horn, there is little left to do. I'll wait to find a new photo-etcher, or just give up on the idea of builder plates and ultimately will tackle the final items on the punch list this winter.

I'll be sure to post progress here when I make some!

(In other news, watch the forums for a new thread in the next week or so - got my hands on a battered Ge 4/4 ii and will be repairing and updating/detailing it over the holiday break!)

Josh

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Josh. Ref your Ge 4/4 bash you might want to see this site (another RhB fan):
MichelsWunderland
He does take detailing to extremes sometimes. Have a look at his Allegra interior:
MichelsWunderland
Quite astonishing

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Parkdesigner, I also needed builders plates for my Mason Bogie project and had printable designs of them but was able to make some using brass foil paper and testors decal paper, then I laminated them for weather proofing and thickness, not the greatest but works until I can get something else, Bill

Attachments

• MB builders plate decal.JPG
    MB builders plate decal.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MB builders plate installed.JPG
    MB builders plate installed.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Parkdesigner:
Did you ever get 'sparks' from the grinder-wagon? :think::)

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Gents!

So, to answer in order...

Indeed, thanks Dave! I've followed Michel's work for a few years now. I'll be aiming for a slightly different effort for the Ge 4/4 ii... hoping to do a bit more interior detailing/updating, but yes - will be doing most of the same items on his punch list too! (And with respect to his Allegra... oh heck yeah! I think Santa may have an Allegra in transit this Christmas, and it's equal parts thrilling and frightening when I think about the detailing efforts to come!)

...but works until I can get something else, Bill

Great stuff Bill! Thanks for the tip! I think for this model, I'm going to keep the search up for an alternative Photo Etcher as the "metal look" I'm after really is only going to come from the nickel silver I suspect. If this really all stalls, I may need to come back to your method in the future though.

Henri, thanks very much for the kind words! I dig your work too - the Steamtram is a gem!

Did you ever get 'sparks' from the grinder-wagon?

Ha! No... in fact, your question just reminded me I need to update that build thread as well! The car is basically finished now, so will go complete that this week or next (need to hunt down photos of the final steps).

As to the "sparks" - I ordered a couple of wind up sparking toys as we discussed, but in the end, it didn't matter as it took every last speck of internal space filled with lead weight to get the thing to stay on the track! Even if I could have sorted how to "trigger" the sparking mechanism on demand, there is abosultley no room in the model's shell to house it.

Thanks all! I'll try and get this traktor bash finished before the New Year!

Cheers,
Josh

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I agree the real thing would be better but being as it is just stuck on you could replace easily when they do become available, or better still is if you can find a business that is interested in your business, Bill

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Parkdesigner, I also needed builders plates for my Mason Bogie project and had printable designs of them but was able to make some using brass foil paper and testors decal paper, then I laminated them for weather proofing and thickness, not the greatest but works until I can get something else, Bill
Just a though have you considered any of the UK Etching services? Not going to be a massive item to post and PayPal may work for payment. Someone on here will recommend one I am sure.

Ozymandius

Registered
3 Feb 2016
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I can recommend (no commercial connection) Narrow Planet Narrow Planet I have used them for plates for my LGB Stainz locomotive (and plan to commission plates for one of my RhB Krok's) and I understand they do bespoke etching.

Their products are very reasonably priced although you do have to wait for a slot in a production run - which is a good trade off to my mind.

Hope this helps
Tony

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Jon,

The UK is where I've been looking - the best I found was Narrow Planet (based on others' posts here on the forum).
Any recommendations other than NP?

Hey Tony,

I appreciate it - Narrow Planet seem great, and are in fact the group I contacted at the end of May... last month they told me they couldn't get to the order until maybe sometime in the new year. Shame really - as you say, they look to make great stuff at fabulous prices!

Thanks guys,
Josh

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Jon,

The UK is where I've been looking - the best I found was Narrow Planet (based on others' posts here on the forum).
Any recommendations other than NP?

Hey Tony,

I appreciate it - Narrow Planet seem great, and are in fact the group I contacted at the end of May... last month they told me they couldn't get to the order until maybe sometime in the new year. Shame really - as you say, they look to make great stuff at fabulous prices!

Thanks guys,
Josh
Not sure of the names of any others but I am sure that they exist. Any other recommendations forumites?