FLICKERING INTERIOR LIGHTS ON USA PASSENGER CARS

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
I use a Massoth Dimax 1200 system and my USA Trains Passenger Car lights flicker even when there are no other items on the track, and the cars are standing still. The locos I have chipped from USA tains are all fine and do not exhibit this flickering - possibly because I have replaced most of the lamps/led's inside the locos.
Could this be down to USA trains being designed for 60Hz rather than 50 Hz or is it more likley some circuitry in the lighting system which is not smooth enough ?
If I need to replace the interior lights what would I use and what resitor values would I need to consider for a prototypical effect ?

Many thanks

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I would not have thought it was due to the (AC) mains frequency?

The output from the Massoth is PWM, a form of DC which is pulsed. I consider that this PWM DC would have been obtained from a smooth DC.

I have no experience of the lighting circuits of USAT coaches, but I would have thought that they were fairly simple. If they do not flicker when a DC supply (say from a 9 V PP3 battery or an analogue controller) is fed to the wheels though, then this suggests the cause is from the DIMAX unit.

If the coach lighting flickers when on normal DC then the problem is due to the coach....