idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have fitted an XL decoder in the above mentioned loco. I had some help from the Massoth wiki page http://wiki.massoth.de/index.php/LGB_2x841_"Saxonian_IV/k"/en
but there are a couple of errors in there. There is no mention of fact you need a Massoth Interface Cable 8312062 to connect the Massoth XLS or XL to the 10 pin DCC socket provided, and it states that "Factory setting : Steam On/Off = F7" whereas in fact the factory setting is F1 not F7; by default F7 is used to turn back EMF on/off. I have fed this back to Massoth.

EDIT: with XLS F7 is the default, with XL F1 is the default

My question is what does the A2 pin do on the LGB circult board, the last pin in the set of 10? A1 is for the smoke generator. I thought A2 was for cab lights but they come on with the directional lights. I cannot find any documentation on Maerklin site. I attach a picture of the circuit board with the DCC blanking pin fitted. This may be a general question not loco specific, I don't have any other locos with 10-pin DCC connector. Thanks for any insights.

2016-07-20 11.23.09.jpg

Last edited:

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I have fitted an XL decoder in the above mentioned loco. I had some help from the Massoth wiki page http://wiki.massoth.de/index.php/LGB_2x841_"Saxonian_IV/k"/en
but there are a couple of errors in there. There is no mention of fact you need a Massoth Interface Cable 8312062 to connect the Massoth XLS or XL to the 10 pin DCC socket provided, and it states that "Factory setting : Steam On/Off = F7" whereas in fact the factory setting is F1 not F7; by default F7 is used to turn back EMF on/off. I have fed this back to Massoth.

My question is what does the A2 pin do on the LGB circult board, the last pin in the set of 10? A1 is for the smoke generator. I thought A2 was for cab lights but they come on with the directional lights. I cannot find any documentation on Maerklin site. I attach a picture of the circuit board with the DCC blanking pin fitted. This may be a general question not loco specific, I don't have any other locos with 10-pin DCC connector. Thanks for any insights.

I have the exact same engine, but fitted with a Lenz Gold Maxi. I have several engines with the 10-pin DCC interface. Not sure where you got the designation A2 from, but the end pins on the DCC interface are either the light common, or a function often designated F1. Of course with function mapping and wiring what is labeled F1 on the interface is often not the same function that is actually used to control it. I presume you are referring to the pin designated F1.

dcc interface.jpg

You are correct to say this could be the interior light. On some engines such as the 21390 Bernina Railbus, or GE 4/4 Diesel it is the interior light but I can confirm that on the 26841 Meyer it does nothing. What F1 and F2 actually do is loco specific.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The default settings on a Massoth Sound decoder (LS or XLS decoder) are that Function Button 7 will trigger Function Output 1 (A1) and Function Button 2 will trigger Function Output 2 (A2).
On a Massoth driving decoder (i.e. M, L, XL) it is Function Button 1 to trigger Function Output 1 (A1) and Function Button 2 to trigger Function Output 2 (A2).

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Cliff and Mark, that answers my questions.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
There is no mention of fact you need a Massoth Interface Cable 8312062 to connect the Massoth XLS or XL to the 10 pin DCC socket provided... I have fed this back to Massoth.
Full marks to Massoth, I reported the omission by email, I got a reply the next day (from Peter Ting) and the web site has been updated.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Full marks to Massoth, I reported the omission by email, I got a reply the next day (from Peter Ting) and the web site has been updated.

That's a good response - although to be fair to Massoth, they do include this 10-way cable with all XL and XLS decoders (or at least they used to, I assume they still do?) so you don't need to order or pay for one separately - unless of course you've acquired a second-hand decoder without its cable set!

Jon.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That's a good response - although to be fair to Massoth, they do include this 10-way cable with all XL and XLS decoders (or at least they used to, I assume they still do?) so you don't need to order or pay for one separately - unless of course you've acquired a second-hand decoder without its cable set! Jon.
That's the point, they don't include it any more Jon, so it was true when it was written but no longer. I got a new decoder (XL but the same is true for XLS), they currently provide 2 sets of 4 power/track cables (white green yellow brown) but not the 10 pin.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's the point, they don't include it any more Jon, so it was true when it was written but no longer. I got a new decoder (XL but the same is true for XLS), they currently provide 2 sets of 4 power/track cables (white green yellow brown) but not the 10 pin.

Hmmm, OK - I wasn't aware of that, it's a while since I last bought a new XLS.... I can only assume that since LGB are no longer putting the 10-pin interface in their new locos, Massoth dropped supplying the cables as a cost-saving measure - as I would imagine that the majority of Massoth decoders sold end up in LGB locos. I'd better keep the spare ones I have here (from various XL and XLS over the years where I haven't needed the cable) where I can find them.....

Jon.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm, OK - I wasn't aware of that, it's a while since I last bought a new XLS.... I can only assume that since LGB are no longer putting the 10-pin interface in their new locos, Massoth dropped supplying the cables as a cost-saving measure - as I would imagine that the majority of Massoth decoders sold end up in LGB locos. I'd better keep the spare ones I have here (from various XL and XLS over the years where I haven't needed the cable) where I can find them.....

Jon.
Hi Jon, I have just purchased a new LGB 25701 (BR99 7818) which has the digital socket 10 pin interface. The recommended decoder is the LGB55027.

Regards

Martin

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
hmm, the information I have for the 25701 is that it uses a "Direct decoder" interface (i.e. for the 55021 / eMotion L decoder) so they must have changed it then.

I can confirm that the XLS & XL decoders are no longer shipped with the 10pin cable.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
hmm, the information I have for the 25701 is that it uses a "Direct decoder" interface (i.e. for the 55021 / eMotion L decoder) so they must have changed it then.

I can confirm that the XLS & XL decoders are no longer shipped with the 10pin cable.
Hi Mark,

Here is a direct quotation from the instructions supplied with the loco:

"Multi-Train System

The model is equipped with a digital interface to connect a 1 amp DCC decoder. Remove the plug on the decoder interface and connect the decoder.

We recommend to use the MTS Decoder 111 (LGB 55027), the plug of which directly fits into the socket interface......"

regards

Martin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Damn! - Should have kept mine..

I tended to cut them up for the wires.. Think I have only ever used a couple??
Does that make me lucky, or unlucky, with the loco's I have had to work on?
:rolleyes:;)

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mark,

Here is a direct quotation from the instructions supplied with the loco:

"Multi-Train System

The model is equipped with a digital interface to connect a 1 amp DCC decoder. Remove the plug on the decoder interface and connect the decoder.

We recommend to use the MTS Decoder 111 (LGB 55027), the plug of which directly fits into the socket interface......"

regards

Martin

Martin,

I was not questioning the validity of your statement, just the validity of the information I have - which has been updated to indicate that it could have the 10pin I/f.

Cheers

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Duplicate post

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Martin,

I was not questioning the validity of your statement, just the validity of the information I have - which has been updated to indicate that it could have the 10pin I/f.

Cheers
Hi Mark, I know that you were not questioning the validity of the information. I have yet to open up the loco and fit the LGB55027 will take some photos when I do and post the here. It is a little confusing that you can directly fit a LGB55021 or equivalent and also have the option of fitting the LGB55027 which comes with the 10 pin I/F.

Regards

Martin

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot