Fitting Massoth Couplings

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
I am fitting a pair of the new Electric couplings to a LGB RhB GE 4/4 II (Kublis)

The couplers come in packs of 2 and I have attached them to the locomotive, however there is only a single plug on the decoder (or any other decoder for that matter) that can accept the 3 pin connector from the couplers and there are 2 couplers to be operated.

Is there an adaptor cable that can be used to allow 2 plugs to go into a single socket. Or failing that, a extension cable for the 3- pin wires with a socket on one end and a plug on the other?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Don't know of a ready to go adapter I am afraid, but easy enough to wire in..
Red to decoder +ve
Black to decoder -ve
Brown to your chosen function output. - Can be same as set with CV 51 if you want one plugged in and both to operate at the same time, else chose a 'spare' output on your decoder.
HTH
PhilP

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
May be worth asking Mark (Muns, GRO) if he can make you a two-way adaptor cable? Mark - I reckon there could be a little market for these if you made up half a dozen or so.....?

Jon.

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Re:Fitting Massoth Couplings

Thanks for the responses.

I've tracked down a supplier of the mini ct bits including the sockets that you usually see on circuit boards to make up an adaptor cable.

I'll let you know how I get on once RS deliver the bits.

Paul - thanks for checking this will actually work!

Jon - I think you're right about there being a market fro this - the cables are a bit tight for reaching the decoder as it is without cutting of connectors and stripping them back, never mind the risk of damaging the chip + the ease of future maintenance with plug-in connectors.

I've taken photos as I go - so I'll write this all up in the next few weeks.

Cheers.

Craig

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers

Kublis has factory fitted DCC and Sound - the LGB Large Onboard decoder (as Massoth call it) doesn't have any screw terminals on it unfortunately (which makes me want to stick with the plugs and sockets idea).

Cheers.

Craig

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Spoke to another frustrated G scaler today about this and I will be looking into producing an adapter (2 to 1).

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers

Sounds good Mark - I haven't finished off the installation yet, or tried it out but it does feel like a quality product aside from the installation niggles. If it works well in the garden I'll probably do most of the fleet!

Cheers.

Craig

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

muns said:
Spoke to another frustrated G scaler today about this and I will be looking into producing an adapter (2 to 1).

That's great, Mark - I think they'll be popular, if no-one else makes one then you could end up selling them all over the place! :clap:

Jon.

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers

Bits from RS came today and after about an hour of taping, soldering and multimetering, installation was complete! :)

This is the bit I made below, with the main bits used on the left and the (nearly) finished one on the right.

5928d46cd382452f8be0fe0bd58b048d.jpg

695f19f155484dc9bea719b0984c516d.jpg