Fitting a snow plough to a Bachmann K27

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Nice to see that you got the plow on Keith :clap:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
Nice to see that you got the plow on Keith :clap:

It needed a 'talking to' at several stages but thanks for the help. :D

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil
Thanks for the pdf file.
Are the devices within the cylinders the optical sensors shown on the drawing? I can't see anything else which matches the wiring. in the cylinders
I see that there are 2 fans shown on the drawing but I didn't know there were any on the loco. Could these have been omitted on the later version?

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
Hi Neil
Thanks for the pdf file.
Are the devices within the cylinders the optical sensors shown on the drawing? I can't see anything else which matches the wiring. in the cylinders
I see that there are 2 fans shown on the drawing but I didn't know there were any on the loco. Could these have been omitted on the later version?

Keith, from memory I think connections for fan 1 are on the tender pcb (not the plug in analogue"dummy board") but there is no fan present. I think fan 2 may be present in the loco, but I can't remember for sure.
The optical sensors on the drawing are those in the cylinders, the adjacent link on the diagram, as you are probably aware, allows for one or two sensors in circuit giving two or four chuffs per revolution. I believe that the sensors may not be in perfect quartering with each other giving a slightly uneven beat when both are selected.
If you wish to use the sensors I suggest you visit the Phoenix sound link below and download the pdf file of their installation instructions for the K27. They include information on using them with various sound cards and dcc. I installed a 2K2 board in one a while ago and used its output to power all locos bar the smoke unit. I replaced the standard Bachmann smoke unit with a Suethe one and a home made track fed voltage regulator circuit.

http://www.phoenixsound.com/support/support.html

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
KeithT said:
Hi Neil
Thanks for the pdf file.

Keith, from memory I think connections for fan 1 are on the tender pcb (not the plug in analogue"dummy board") but there is no fan present. I think fan 2 may be present in the loco, but I can't remember for sure.
The optical sensors on the drawing are those in the cylinders, the adjacent link on the diagram, as you are probably aware, allows for one or two sensors in circuit giving two or four chuffs per revolution. I believe that the sensors may not be in perfect quartering with each other giving a slightly uneven beat when both are selected.
If you wish to use the sensors I suggest you visit the Phoenix sound link below and download the pdf file of their installation instructions for the K27. They include information on using them with various sound cards and dcc. I installed a 2K2 board in one a while ago and used its output to power all locos bar the smoke unit. I replaced the standard Bachmann smoke unit with a Suethe one and a home made track fed voltage regulator circuit.

http://www.phoenixsound.com/support/support.html

Neil
Thanks again, I will look at the Phoenix site and d/l the file with a view to using it with the intended QSI card.
The rest is far beyond my capabilities! :-

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
I will have to admit defeat for the moment at least. There is no way that I can get the locating lugs on the underside of the plough into the sockets on the loco without shaving a strip off the back edge of the plough. It will have to wait for daylight for me to have another try.
In the process of doing this I realised that it has lost both cylinder fronts!!! One I have found but i shall have to hunt for the other in daylight.:-

A minor update; a few days ago I found the missing cylinder front but this afternoon I found a third. Odd because it is a 2cylinder loco!
It must have come from the first, faulty K27 which I returned and I never noticed.
If anyone is missing one from their loco PM me and i will send it on.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
KeithT said:
KeithT said:
I will have to admit defeat for the moment at least. There is no way that I can get the locating lugs on the underside of the plough into the sockets on the loco without shaving a strip off the back edge of the plough. It will have to wait for daylight for me to have another try.
In the process of doing this I realised that it has lost both cylinder fronts!!! One I have found but i shall have to hunt for the other in daylight.:-

A minor update; a few days ago I found the missing cylinder front but this afternoon I found a third. Odd because it is a 2cylinder loco!
It must have come from the first, faulty K27 which I returned and I never noticed.

Hi Keith
If i were you i would keep hold of that spare cylinder cap as they do tend to fall out quite often , I losted one of mine but Bachmann replaced it when the loco had to be repaired . A few weeks later i found my missing one in the tunnal when cleaning the track i now keep it as a spare .

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
KeithT said:
KeithT said:

Hi Keith
If i were you i would keep hold of that spare cylinder cap as they do tend to fall out quite often , I losted one of mine but Bachmann replaced it when the loco had to be repaired . A few weeks later i found my missing one in the tunnal when cleaning the track i now keep it as a spare .
Good thinking Richie although I will be siliconing them in place before I run it again. That should be next week when the sound card arrives. Close your windows!!
I notice that the steam chest covers are just as loose too.