FITTING A MASSOTH RELAY TO AN ESU LOKSOUND DECODER

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
By using a relay I believe it should be possible to use the smoke generator on my Aristo RS3.
The instructions show wiring to the + side of a decoder and also to "ground", but the ESU does not seem to have a specific "ground" terminal. Can anyone tell me how I would wire the smoke unit and the decoder so that F15 would turn the unit on and off ?

Many thanks,

Tony Ward

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i think, it referes to a negative wire/terminal ..ie posative +negagtive -
not sure if this helps..

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
hmmm.... I think you definitely need to locate the decoder "ground". Not all decoders expose this as a connection. The whole point of using this relay is because the decoder function outputs (which connect to ground) cannot sink the high current that something like a smoke unit will draw.

Massoth say look on their forums for more applications of the relay. Also worth googling around for LokSound decoder ground?
<edit>
Having looked through the loksound manual (I'm assuming we're talking about a LokSound XL)?, it's not particularly forthcoming about a ground terminal other than mentioning 1-5 as GND for a hall sensor. I wouldn't like to say whether this is a true decoder ground that can take the load of a smoke unit?

There must be a simple enough way to do this, lots of folk say they use a separate relay for a smoke unit. Should be able to find examples of wiring this in.

Personally I don't bother, I just leave the smoke unit connected directly to the track feed via its original switch.
</edit>
<edit 2>
In this page about an 0-gauge loco, a solid state ac relay is used to power a smoke unit with a Loksound XL
http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=45
</edit 2>