First efforts

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
I don't think there is a specific thread for testing your efforts, to realistically weather kit, on experienced eyes. This may be my graveyard but I have never tried it before.... I have read many articles but been very nervous about wrecking the appearance of a brand new item... So to open up the opportunity for others to be objectively critical about my work yesterday here goes. The pictures show my 'Annie' as purchased and also after a day with my airbrush:banghead:

I hope this proves a useful thread for other newbies to this art to get honest feedback!

cfd9536794834281b8f0beeed4025b40.jpg

f732fb262ecd425187d84af9befd1113.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Keep the piccies coming, there are others on here who appreciate the weathered look and you seem to have cracked it rather well

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very good to me. Of course you realise that now you have started there is no end. I bet you are already looking at that coach and thinking 'what can I do to make it look a bit less plastic?'

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
You're right Philip, I have several carriages to deal with, plus I am working on another engine to resemble 'The General', I have built a truck with cannon, and sprayed a caboose & box car grey.... I was thinking to make it look like the B&W Buster Keaton film:rolleyes:

Thanks to Bram as well, I hope other guys will use this as an ongoing window to their work.

I must put up a credit for the authors of articles I have read soon!!:admire:

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
that looks 1000 times better now with the dirt. I wish companies would sell them like that.

Great Job

silverflyer

G Scale, Photography,
26 Oct 2009
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Best answers
Hi robsmorgan,

That Annie looks super with the weathering, keep the shots of your work coming.

I'm just rebuilding a Connie, and having a go at weathering it also. Here's a shot of it, but it's not finished yet still some bits to do.
8abbe110e5df4734961571b289ba61fb.jpg

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Dave Hub said:
I wish companies would sell them like that.

Weathering gives you a chance to 'personalise' your rolling stock 8D.

Looking real good Rob - more piccies please :clap:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
:clap:As promised here are the two best sources I have come across to date:clap:

The Credits: 1. Realistic Weathering for Steam Locomotives. reprint downloaded from Model Railroader.com
2. Jack Thompson's weathering web pages @ 4largescale.com

I agree with Dave, there must be plenty more like me that would prefer to buy weathered stock rather than take on the risk of ruining brand new purchases!!

Your Connie looks good silverflyer! I had recently posted a thread looking for a local supplier of an American dry graphite lubricant for the connecting rods, etc. but it seems it isn't legal over here! So like you (I think) I have sprayed them with acrylic paint without any problems.

Feeling a bit under the weather.... Ha!

Rob

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
When it comes to coaches or boxcars made of simulated wooden planks I find that a thin wash of flat brown/grey acrylic applied with a brush then wiped off with a rag or kitchen roll is a good way of losing the shiny plastic look without being too drastic. This method does not work so well on smooth flat surfaces such as steel bodied vehicles where an airbrush might be better.

Here are before and after shots of a Bachmann boxcar I treated in this way.
cd31ba73391c415e830b21861d64dbdd.jpg

3d0cf7b7c66140d98c5de6be01cf06be.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Super weathering, always makes a difference providing you do it right. These are right. By the way, mines a nice bottle of Dragon Stout Please.
JonD

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Inspired by Railwayman I had a go at two wagons last night. The caboose started as a Rio Grande terracotta unit. I had sprayed it with Halford's matt grey undercoat several weeks ago. The box car was a flat pack already in grey.
I'm reasonably happy but will make more effort on the drips & rust! The cannon is something I am scratch building as a nod to the consist in Buster Keaton's 'The General'.
Didn't know what to do with edging the exposed (treated) wood track base so cast some glass fibre sections from Christmas tree off-cuts!
aec443aadd934b08b421534cf426d9ec.jpg

Still weathering the storm!
Rob

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not a weathering expert, but I've chanced my arm a coupld of times.

I think one needs to decide what sort of weathering to go for on any particular wagon/loco. Do you want it dirty through use, or do you want the paint peeling through years of neglect?

One of each below (the only two I've done).

e3a5c8f2898447d094de03a7305fcdf8.jpg

f793168eb0174e59b218846307b37275.jpg

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
That's a fair point Rhinochugger, I seem to be going in both directions at the same time..... your 'wear & tear' missing ladder treads add to the effect well!