Filling in the gaps?

Demiel1910

Tramway Demiel 1910 en France
13 Jul 2017
France
Best answers
Small gaps between rails are necessary to allow for heat expansion, but there are some gaps that are about 6-7 mm that seem to upset some of my rolling stock. All locos are battery powered so no need for electrical continuity. So, whats the best thing to fill in the gap? silverfoil?, a paste of some sort , or is there a readymade product that I don't know about. Many thanks

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have found that having gaps is not necessary, I'd close the gaps unless you have tried to bolt your track down every section. In that case, no solution.

Take a mild day and butt all the track together. It will expand, and during cooler times it will make it's own gaps. The laws of physics are impossible to avoid.

Please let us know how your track is attached to it's underlayment.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Small gaps between rails are necessary to allow for heat expansion, but there are some gaps that are about 6-7 mm that seem to upset some of my rolling stock. All locos are battery powered so no need for electrical continuity. So, whats the best thing to fill in the gap? silverfoil?, a paste of some sort , or is there a readymade product that I don't know about. Many thanks
Certainly 6-7mm appears over the top. Work out what is the best gap the cut some rail to fill the excess gap where necessary. It is entirely possible to cut 2-5mm lengths of rail for this purpose from some short lengths that may have been cut off for other purposes. Shove into the fishplate job done.

Oh you appear to have made the same post 3 times, it os possible to delete your own in these circumstances.

Demiel1910

Tramway Demiel 1910 en France
13 Jul 2017
France
Best answers
Thankyou for pointing out the multiple entries (now corrected) My track is a 'dog-bone' line about 40 metres long and the track is merely resting on either concrete blocks or wooden beams. havent fully decided what to use for ballast. The majority of my track started out as straight rails which I bent myself to suit the layout (hence some of the bigger gaps!)