Field Railway Wheels

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Would anyone know what the diameter of the LGB field railway wheels are measured at the tread ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Nick. I was wondering if Bachmann's smaller 24 mm wheels would fit. Most likely not.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Nick. I was wondering if Bachmann's smaller 24 mm wheels would fit. Most likely not.
Even the LGB ones tend to bind slightly, not sure why but they did on my Feldbahn Tram Coaches and Grizly Flats Opens. All sold on now.
JonD

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I've replaced them with Slaters wheels pushed on to the LGB steel axles

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Slaters wheels, whilst very good, have a significantly smaller flange profile so you need good trackwork.

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
No problem with all my LGB plastic or metal 20 mm Feldbahn wheels

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Even the LGB ones tend to bind slightly, not sure why but they did on my Feldbahn Tram Coaches and Grizly Flats Opens. All sold on now.
JonD
Jon, I found that the tram coaches and opens didn't have the axle inserts that the wagons have. Without the insert the floor rests on the rim of wheel. I fitted washers to the axles and this eliminated the problem.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, I found that the tram coaches and opens didn't have the axle inserts that the wagons have. Without the insert the floor rests on the rim of wheel. I fitted washers to the axles and this eliminated the problem.
That should be useful advise for anyone that had the same problems that I had.

Incidentally for washers I use M3 Nylon Washers on all my Stock that has excesive side play. This certainly appears to give better running. I got this advice from the Garden Rail Special on "Your G-Scale Locomotive an easy guide to care and maintenance" P93. Bookzine by John Lythgoe. The washers I get from Squires they show up in P358 of their Catalogue.

http://www.squirestools.com/tools-and-materials.htm

I normally buy them in bulk so that I have them on pretty well most of my LGB and other Rolling Stock now. I think I may have got the wider ones as they show two types.

The Bookzine has useful advice on Lubing Bogie Mounts and rubbing plates with good picks of Dust Wear if these parts not Lubricated. Together with useful advice on Maintenance of LGB Locomotives as well. Worth a punt.

image.jpg
Oops sideways, no compensation offered for stiff necks!
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I claim for 'whiplash' for turning my head quickly to look at this!
;):p:D:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Slaters wheels, whilst very good, have a significantly smaller flange profile so you need good trackwork.
I think it's more a question of not using tight radius track.

Almost all my stock has much smaller flanges than LGB, and my track laying skills are on a par with my photography :tmi::tmi::tmi::tmi::tmi: but I rarely have derailments :angel::angel:

Usually, if I have a troublesome truck, it's due to a lack of lubrication, either axlebox or bogie pivot. What is clear, for reliable running, is that the axles need to be free to slide from side to side a little bit, as well as to spin freely. Don't ask me why, as all I know is - 'cos it does.' :rock::rock::rock: