Failure of radio connexions?

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I would welcome advice on the following:

I currently run LGB analogue, using a remote controller ( a 55016) and a radio receiver (a 55055) and the appropriate LGB base controller (which can also be run in "home" mode by unplugging the remote controller.
This morning all started well, but suddenly, radio control ceased. Now all three items - base, receiver, remote - continued to be live and indeed I could still drive the locos direct from the base controller. I have tried putting new batteries into the remote, and repeating the trials later this afternoon just in case it was an interference problem, but no luck. I suspect I shall have to replace at least one of the boxes in the control chain but how do I find out which?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You do not say where you are based on your profile, even a County can help. There may be someone local to you who could at least check if your Handsets are working OK on Radio. If not that then the receiver sounds the mire likely culprit. Again this could be checked out by them if you took it along.

However before that worthwhile pulling out all the connections and replacing them back where they came from. If you are not sure just do one at a time. Basic first rule of electrical faults this one.

Good luck,
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
You do not say where you are based on your profile, even a County can help. There may be someone local to you who could at least check if your Handsets are working OK on Radio. If not that then the receiver sounds the mire likely culprit. Again this could be checked out by them if you took it along.

However before that worthwhile pulling out all the connections and replacing them back where they came from. If you are not sure just do one at a time. Basic first rule of electrical faults this one.

Good luck,
JonD
AND..
Turn EVERYTHING off, leave it for ten minutes (in case something has got too hot), then power everything back up as you would normally..
Has anything changed, or been added, recently to your system / layout? - If so, remove / disconnect it, try again..
If you have a run of cable to outside, check this also.. Amazing how things fail at just the wrong time!