Experiences of Dietz sound modules vs. Massoth S....?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm looking around for one or two more sound-only units (as opposed to combined sound and driving decoders), and as the supply of Massoth S units seems to be effectively zero at the moment, I'm considering other options like the Dietz units (micro x3, which I believe has replaced the micro xS?).
I like the Massoth S a lot, it's very easy to use and I have fitted several into various locos, but they appear to be unobtainable at the moment (one dealer seems to have a few left but at a VERY inflated price which I'd rather not pay).
I'm much less familiar with the Dietz units - I've had a couple of locos with them already fitted, and they seem to work fine, but I don't know my way around DIY installation and programming of them.
Anyone here actually fitted one themselves, or have much other experience of them? Or can anyone suggest any other makes of sound module (ideally no larger physically than the Massoth S) that will do the same job, that I could consider as alternatives?

Thanks,
Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul, nice examples, I especially like the Stainz whistle; as I said, I'm familiar with the sound of the units - I had a Spreewald with one in (fitted by Glendale) and I currently have an LGB Feldbahn diesel and a Lilliput/Bachmann small diesel both fitted with them by Peyker, and they all sound great. What I'm after is any advice on DIY fitting and programming them, especially anyone who has piggy-backed them onto either Massoth or LGB driving decoders (OK, I know LGB decoders ARE Massoth, but you know what I mean!).

Jon.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Yes, connection is via SUSI, so they can be used with Massoth, Zimo, Lenz etc. decoders that have a SUSI interface, but therefore not with LGB decoders. Programming is very easy and can be done 'on the main'. I like them very much :D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
bunnyrabbit03 said:
Yes, connection is via SUSI, so they can be used with Massoth, Zimo, Lenz etc. decoders that have a SUSI interface, but therefore not with LGB decoders. Programming is very easy and can be done 'on the main'. I like them very much :D

Thanks! Any pics of any of the installations? Can I ask where you bought yours?

Jon.

PS: I assume that SUSI is the only connection option available on the Dietz units? One of the reasons I like the Massoth S is that it can be connected directly to any track power supply, or to the track power connections on LGB decoders; makes them very easy to install regardless of what kind of driving decoder you have in the loco.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Jon,

I can probably help you.

I've got quite a few of the Dietz micro xs, as you say the 3x is an updated version of it. I've also used the X-clusive-S which I also believe has been updated.

The first thing to say is that these Dietz sound decoders ONLY connect to driving decoders via a SUSI interface. Most Massoth decoders now have SUSI, although earlier versions didn't. LGB supplied decoders do NOT have SUSI. All of my Lenz decoders have SUSI. Dietz do make a little gadget called a DCC2SUSI that will add a SUSI interface to any loco, I know nothing about it other than it exists.

SUSI is probably the best way to connect a sound module. The driving decoder sends information to the sound decoder that it can react to, such as how hard the motor is working, so sounds change when going uphill, or when coasting downhill. I imagine a DCC2SUSI couldn?t supply this information.

I think a Dietz Micro XS can be had for about £55.00, so it is actually possible to save money compared to a combined driving and sound decoder where the sound premium is often more than £55.00. The X-clusive-S is a more powerful version of the xs, with a few more external connections for a volume control, external triggers etc. I decided I didn?t need the extra power or gizmos since my xs only run at about 50% of max volume anyway.

Programming SUSI devices is easy; SUSI modules just seem to be part of the main driving decoder with CVs in the range 897+, so no problems with multiple decoders all responding at the same time, and no requirement to program before installation. On my Lenz decoders one lower CV is reserved for the SUSI address and another for the value to read or write. This allows CVs in the high SUSI range to be programed. I imagine Massoth decoders use the same method although I?ve never tried it.

If you go to the Dietz web site you can play all of their sounds: http://www.d-i-e-t-z.de/

There is a programmer now and a way of adding your own sounds, although I had all of mine supplied pre-programed with the appropriate sounds. The supplies did this free of charge for me.

Glendale are the official imported of Dietz stuff, although I never found them helpful when asked questions and so they didn?t get my business. I got most of mine from Peyker. I note that Grootspoor now do Dietz stuff.

Dietz make units for other manufacturers such as Piko and Uhlenbrock, as far as I am aware these are both exactly the same as the micro xs. Look for the Uhlenbrock IntelliSound3 Module 32300, on this website: http://www.aandh-models.co.uk/ they are very helpful. Also all of the other bits like the sound manager and programmer etc.

Getting English language instruction was once a problem but now you can find them on the Uhlenbrock website: https://www.uhlenbrock.de/

If I?ve missed something or can help further let me know.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Thank you for the website link, Cliff. Finally an easy way to get hold of the Dietz/Uhlenbrock sound decoders in the UK!

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I may well try a Dietz sound module if the S modules are still scarce when I can afford to sound chip my Ice.
A bit of thread drift but has anyone tried the Uhlenbrock 'resonance shell' speakers?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff, many thanks for an extremely useful answer! I may drop you a PM at some point to pick your brains a bit further, or will have a chat with you at the next Essex meet or open day. :D

All the best,
Jon.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
No Colin but I can recommend visaton series from impact audio near Crewe

shropshire lad said:
I may well try a Dietz sound module if the S modules are still scarce when I can afford to sound chip my Ice.
A bit of thread drift but has anyone tried the Uhlenbrock 'resonance shell' speakers?

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Thanks for that Phil,I've book marked the site for future reference.
I went for a 28mm Uhlenbrock resonance shell speaker as space was tight and it packs a fair punch for it's size. Should be a video kn the B & CVR thread over the weekend.

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
I'm a bit new to the idea of separate sound decoders. I have locos with a few different decoders - the ones I chipped myself have Massoth XL, whilst some of the others have LGB 3 and LGB Built-in decoders.

Is the SUSI interface the white socket that I can see on my Massoth XL chips? and how would I operate the sounds? (I have a LGB MTS 2 setup)

Thanks,

Craig

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Craig -
The SUSI socket is the VERY tiny ivory-coloured four pin one, as distinct from any slightly larger white sockets on some Massoth decoders. Only more recent Massoth XL decoders that you fitted will have SUSI sockets, the LGB ones (although Massoth-built) do not have them. The Dietz chips with SUSI connections seem to be a good option for fitting to the locos that you have put XL decoders in, but for those with LGB decoders (either retrofitted or factory-installed) you'd need the Massoth S or an LGB black-box sound unit.

Jon.

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Is this it? (circled in picture) - It certainly isn't quite white, but has 3 pins - some of my Massoth Chips must be 5 years old by now - where does the time go??

Thanks Jon
c4c01b9c5da54a2dbf401c8e9467f7ad.jpg

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Its the small four pin connector at the top of this picture. Probably your XLs are versions from before Massoth started fitting SUSI interfaces.

e95a15445aa94040a9625a0ed3eaec46.gif

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Cliff George said:
Its the small four pin connector at the top of this picture. Probably your XLs are versions from before Massoth started fitting SUSI interfaces.

Thanks Cliff, looks like I'm Snookered.... all the locos I've checked have green boards and the 3 pin thing - any idea what it is? - I notice it's removed from the newer chips.

I found a manual which suggests that I have 1.2 chips - SUSI is found on 2.2+ as far as I can see, but doesn't cover the 3 pin socket.(other than in the picture on the manual cover)

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry I couldn't find out any further information.

I looked for an older manual with an explanation of what the three pin connector was but couldn't find one.

As you say, I found the 1.2 manual but that is supposed to have no connector at all, and I also found the latest manual with the susi interface on it.

Maybe it if is worth asking on the Massoth forum what the three pin connector is for, or Mark on here may know. Has anyone else on here got an XL manual that explains what the three pin connector is?

Regards
Cliff

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
but for those with LGB decoders (either retrofitted or factory-installed) you'd need the Massoth S or an LGB black-box sound unit.

Jon.

Yes, but another option is to try and find out more about the Dietz DCC2SUSI module.

If anyone has any more info any about it then please do let us know.

A complete replacement of the LGB decoder could be considered.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Is the 3 pin connector for a battery backup....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It could possibly be for for a powercap storage device, Gizzy, but I think it's most likely for an external signal input - maybe a chuff sensor? It's the "standard" Massoth micro-CT plug connector, which come in 2, 3 and 4 pin versions. Massoth LS decoders are covered in the things, because they don't have the screw terminal connectors that the XL/XLS have, so they use the CT plugs for everything like lights, speaker etc.
They are much "whiter" than the ivory colour of the SUSI plugs and sockets, and the SUSI is significantly smaller than the CT.

Jon.