Experience using Roco Multimaus

wilf54

Registered
28 Mar 2010
North West, United Kingdom
Best answers
I thought I would pass on my experiences of using a Roco MultiMaus to control G Scale locos.

After doing lots of research I decided to go for DCC for the new garden railway. I have had plenty of experience of analogue wiring (block style), but no experience of DCC. I looked at plenty of systems, some with more features than others, unfortunately my budget forced me to rule most of them out.

In the end I chose a Roco MultiMaus system. The best price I could find involved buying from Germany using eBay. It took about a week for the parcel to arrive. After spending about 5 minutes to change the langugue to English we were off.

I was quickly able to program my LGB Stainz (fitted with a 55020 decoder). I was up and running within 10 minutes - and that is with a 3 year old "helping" ;) I will leave the general description/review to the many better authors than me. However suffice to say despite the fact that the system was never really designed by G Scale, there appears to be plenty of power. Operation is very simple - the 3 year old can easily operate and select locos.

I have used outdoor CAT5e cable to make a xPressnet Bus round the garden. I have used RJ45 network outlets wired in parallel for the connection of the hand held controller (the RJ12 connectors "mate" to the center 6 pins of the RJ45 socket). The one socket I have in an exposed location I have fitted within a "showerproof" box (http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/204972 ). The lid of the box can be removed by just "popping" it off. The bus length is probably about 20M so far. This seems to be working well so far and time will tell how durable it is.

So far I have run 3 locos concurrently without issue (LGB Stainz, LGB starter set Diesel, & playmobil motor block with Thomas body). Very pleased with the system to say that it has cost less than £85

If anyone wants to know more - just ask!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I have always been fascinated by the relatively inexpensive Roco digital systems. The later wireless cab control also stimulates the senses. A local eBay seller (downunder) generally has multiple sets available, offering both the Roco (red Multimaus) and the Fleischmann (Roco) systems with the grey/silver Multimaus. He also offers the systems with original stock power supply and upgraded power supply allowing up to 3.2 amps capacity. Also available are sets offering both the Multimaus and a single Locomaus handpiece.

A Google search will reveal that many have converted the relatively cheap digital box into a fully fledged booster at almost no cost. Boosters purchased separately tend to be quite expensive.

I am pleased that you have had a good experience with the setup and if I installed a small inside digital layout, then the Roco system would more than suffice. With 3.2 amp (internal limit in digital control box), then three, maybe four small single-motored LGB locomotives could be run simultaneously.

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
That is a really nice way to 'get started', and at a very reasonable price too!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I know folk used to buy the Roco digital start sets just for the Maus, and sell off the train and track on ebay. It does seem to be well regarded as a basic system. If the Fleischmann/Roco conglomerate have seemingly opted for the Roco DCC system over the Fleischmann system then that must be saying something.

wilf54

Registered
28 Mar 2010
North West, United Kingdom
Best answers
The manual http://www.roco.cc/fileadmin/downloads/MultimausPDF/pdf1169_en.pdf < Link To http://www.roco.cc/filead...mausPDF/pdf1169_en.pdf seems to indicate that the max output is 2.5A
I have heard that you can use a Bachman DCC Booster in series with the MultiMaus to give an extra 5A of power. I would love to hear from someone who has actually tried this. Not that I need the extra current at the moment now, but you never know what I might want to run in the future :D

Perhaps I should have mentioned that as I bought a German unit the power supply has a German plug - therefore i have to use an adapter to plug it in.

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Just a thought about the Roco mains transformer.
It used to look like this:-
5563230e061c411eb425fecaf060b109.jpg

but more recently it's the sort that has the three pins as part of the transfomer.
Not sure if the newer one has the same current rating?
David

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The standard power pack, as supplied by Roco, limits the digital centre to 2.5 amps. However, with a more powerful supply the internal limit on the system is 3.2 amps. It is the stock power pack limiting the output, not the system itself. A four amp computer power supply pack (with selectable voltage output) will give you the required extra oomph.